Permanent Coil Split

Permanent Coil Split

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:42 am

My question is pretty much what the title would lead you to think: thinking of swapping out the pickups on my 2 pickup guitar and putting a couple of Super 2s in there with the coils permanently (or semi-permanently) split, since I don't want to drill extra holes in my guitar for a toggle or extra pot; I don't really like the sound of humbuckers anyway, and I don't think I'd miss the option of turning it onto humbucker mode. Anyone done this? Think it's possible?
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Re: Permanent Coil Split

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:17 am

Totally possible. Just put the white and black wires together and connect them both to ground. If you would like to be able to use them in humbucker mode, you can replace a tone pot with a push pull pot so when it's pulled up the coils are split.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Re: Permanent Coil Split

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:35 pm

hippieguy1954 wrote:Totally possible. Just put the white and black wires together and connect them both to ground. If you would like to be able to use them in humbucker mode, you can replace a tone pot with a push pull pot so when it's pulled up the coils are split.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

+1, but remember that different pickup companies color-code their wires differently, so consult the instructions.

On my main stage axe (Schecter C-1 Classic), all my pups are hard-wired. From Bridge to Neck I have: Duncan JB (series HB); DiMarzio Dual Sound (S/C); Duncan Jazz (series HB)
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Return to Jerry Tone