Vertical 2x12 vs (2) 1x12's...which sounds bigger?

Vertical 2x12 vs (2) 1x12's...which sounds bigger?

Postby jackevorkian » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Just curious if anyone has experimented with running a vertical 2x12 cab vs running 2 separate 1x12 cabs. Mostly curious about which seems to fill more space (sound-wise, not physically). Either setup would be run in stereo...with the 1x12's I could space them about 6' apart, or so. Vertical 2x12's have a funny way of filling a big sonic space, widthwise...and I don't want to lose that.
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: Vertical 2x12 vs (2) 1x12's...which sounds bigger?

Postby strumminsix » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:35 pm

Bigger where? On stage, in front of stage, FOH?
strumminsix

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:59 pm

Great post and great question.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby jackevorkian » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:04 pm

good question...

this is not at all for use on large stage with sound reinforcement. just for a few weirdos sitting in a dark room trying to surround ourselves in sound.
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:20 pm

I noticed my 2 x 12 is kinda heavy , too
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:46 pm

jackevorkian wrote:good question...

this is not at all for use on large stage with sound reinforcement. just for a few weirdos sitting in a dark room trying to surround ourselves in sound.

Okay. I think BIGGER will come from either a wet dry mix or slightly offset by delays or other effects.

In my opinion mono will sound the same, maybe a smidge weaker, but could be clearer if you use them more directionally. There is a certain punch that occurs with multiple speakers due to broadcast.

I've tried this before and came to the result that life was just easier with a 2x12.

If bigger is your thing go for a wet / dry mix. Run your signal into a buffered splitter and send the first off to say a Fender Pro Jr and the next to your effects board and amp and have at it. IMO this is huge. Or, if you want even BIGGER go stereo: wet-dry-wet
strumminsix

Postby deadagainband76 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:28 pm

2 2x12s lol
deadagainband76
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby jackevorkian » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:16 pm

strumminsix wrote:Or, if you want even BIGGER go stereo: wet-dry-wet

This is something I was following in a thread at TGP a while ago and eventually got distracted/overwhelmed. I started trying to wrap my brain around it again recently when I got my stereo power amp, a 2505. It seems like there are a lot of options, but it could be pretty awesome.

Any suggestions for straightforward way to run a wet-dry-wet setup? I have an SMS CTP with parallel outputs and an MC2505. My other amp is a Goodsell S17. Not sure if they factor into the equation, but I do have a few true stereo pedals...Halophaze, TC Delay and a WET Reverb.
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby strumminsix » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:24 pm

To get a W-D-W you'd need 3 unique streams power.

You'd take your first signal from the guitar and send it to your DRY preamp and poweramp
Then your processed and stereo and either feed it into 2 pre & poweramps OR save your stereo processed signals between the preamp and 2 poweramps.
strumminsix

Postby jackevorkian » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:47 pm

thanks...maybe i'll stick with the simpler wet/dry, which is what I am more used to.
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:46 pm

Every speaker cab has a box resonance. All other things equal,a bigger box will generally have a bigger sound, more low mids, a fatter, fuller body to the sound. Sometimes a cab will accentuate deep bass, or depending on the geometry and size, it can bring out a warm low mid, say in the 150 to 250Hz range. Sometimes a cab will just sound small and thin. Sometimes a cab can be huge and not sound big in a good way. There's acoustical physics at work here. That's why I like the topic here. Does a pair of small 1x12" cab's stacked together create the same big resonance as one single 2-12" of the same volume as the pair of small ones? Does that separation make things bigger or smaller? I feel like much of the fullness and body in Jerry's sound was from his cabinet, the 3-12" or his vertical 4-12", all wide open back cab's. I've heard 2-12"s do it well too. Also having a cabinet on the floor will sound bigger than if elevated off the ground. If I had the cab's to do this comparison, I would. It'll be interesting to hear the reports.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby jackevorkian » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:39 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:Every speaker cab has a box resonance. All other things equal,a bigger box will generally have a bigger sound, more low mids, a fatter, fuller body to the sound. Sometimes a cab will accentuate deep bass, or depending on the geometry and size, it can bring out a warm low mid, say in the 150 to 250Hz range. Sometimes a cab will just sound small and thin. Sometimes a cab can be huge and not sound big in a good way. There's acoustical physics at work here. That's why I like the topic here. Does a pair of small 1x12" cab's stacked together create the same big resonance as one single 2-12" of the same volume as the pair of small ones? Does that separation make things bigger or smaller? I feel like much of the fullness and body in Jerry's sound was from his cabinet, the 3-12" or his vertical 4-12", all wide open back cab's. I've heard 2-12"s do it well too. Also having a cabinet on the floor will sound bigger than if elevated off the ground. If I had the cab's to do this comparison, I would. It'll be interesting to hear the reports.

B

I've always been surprised that everyone says the HT cabs sound so full and big, when dimensionally, they are actually on the small side for length and width. They are a little deeper than average. I don't own one, so I can't compare, but of cabs I have owned or built it's always been the oversize 1x12's that sound the biggest. The HT 1x12 is 15x15. The last cab I built was based on the Two Rock 1x12 (approx 20x20), but made of poplar with a fixed baltic birch baffle and front loaded. I have a Port City oversized that sounds consistently great with every amp, although being ported it's not a fair comparison. I've had a few Bruno 1x12 cabs that would probably be considered oversized dimensionally, and sounded very full and clear.

There's a ton of variables in cab design and bigger isn't necessarily better, but in my experience oversized 1x12's always sound fuller and "bigger" while still being clear and articulate. I'd be curious to build an oversized HT cab and compare it to a regular HT cab.
jackevorkian
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby deadagainband76 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:19 pm

All I know is from my little experience. I just got my 2nd hard truckers cab. I have 4 jbls vertical. Sometimes stereo, sometimes bridged. The extra speakers make it sound huge. It may sound like a lot but with one cab at my back and 4 speakers spreading the sound I play quieter and hear more. To me its the biggest sound Ive ever gotten even when its not that loud. 2E120s, 2K120s. I love it.
deadagainband76
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:34 pm

One of the most oversized 2x12 boxes you're ever going to find is a silver or black face Fender Bandmaster cabinet. Something like 39" x 28" x 11"!

I've got a 1968 drip-edge BM cab in my garage if someone local wants to make me an offer...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby TRG » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:17 pm

I already have two 1x12 cabs that I stack vertically and like the sound I get, but am curious if there is a "better" (i.e fuller) sound with a 2x12. If so, I'd sell one of the 1x12 cabs that I have and pick up a 2x12. Purely speculating, but can it really be that big of a difference...?

Any other reports on this topic?
TRG
Mickey
Mickey

Next

Return to Jerry Tone