Fender Bassman Head for Jerry setup

Fender Bassman Head for Jerry setup

Postby jmfranc » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Can you use one, or at least a slightly modified one, as a preamp in the Jerry setup? I would assume a bassman was just for bass but someone was just telling me that it is possible and actually sounds pretty good. Is this guy crazy or right?
jmfranc
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: Fender Bassman Head for Jerry setup

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:36 pm

jmfranc wrote:Can you use one, or at least a slightly modified one, as a preamp in the Jerry setup? I would assume a bassman was just for bass but someone was just telling me that it is possible and actually sounds pretty good. Is this guy crazy or right?

The Bassman was originally designed as a bass amp (in like 1953 or so), but many guitarists tried and liked it's sound. By the early 60's, it may have been as popular for guitar as it was for bass, and the first Marshall amp (for guitars) borrowed heavily from its design to put it lightly. Very early on in The Who ('64-'65), Pete Townshend used a blonde-era Bassman (and Tremoluxes). Did Robbie Robertson possibly play through one too?

I'd say try it, but no spring reverb would be a strike against for me.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Dwarf Rat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:45 pm

My bass player has a white tolex Bassman head. I ran it through a MOD 12" at our last practice.
It was cleaner and louder than the Tweed Deluxe. Definitely had the 68-69 vibe. I use the Boss
chocolate reverb pedal.
Last edited by Dwarf Rat on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwarf Rat
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby ugly rumor » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:19 am

If it is an original white, not reissue, it would have been from 1961-63, about. Before that they were brown, after, black.
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby Dwarf Rat » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Yes. It is from the period you state. The tone was from later.
Dwarf Rat
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby barefootdave » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:39 pm

The Fender Bassman is indeed an excellent choice for guitar. The 59 Bassman is one of the most sought after guitar amps in history. Jim Marshall began Marshall Amplification by modifying the Bassman, then went on to design the original Marshall amps around the bassman design.
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby zoooombiex » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:54 am

A bassman is a great option. It will break up a bit earlier than a twin/showman design, but it's a great, versatile amp.

If you want reverb, try this - plug your guitar into input #1 of whichever channel you like better. Run a line from input #2 of that channel to your reverb, then into input #1 of the unused channel. Now the second channel is a reverb control. It's a beautiful sound.
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Deadhead1988 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:23 pm

zoooombiex wrote:A bassman is a great option. It will break up a bit earlier than a twin/showman design, but it's a great, versatile amp.

If you want reverb, try this - plug your guitar into input #1 of whichever channel you like better. Run a line from input #2 of that channel to your reverb, then into input #1 of the unused channel. Now the second channel is a reverb control. It's a beautiful sound.

This is the way to run it IMO. I can't live without verb so this is how I run nonverb amps. The bassman is an excellent amp and can still be had for decent prices.
Deadhead1988
rukind?
rukind?

Return to Jerry Tone