Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya' tomorrow

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya' tomorrow

Postby Rojack01 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:29 am

Tomorrow I get the dough I have been waiting on I am going to call Matt Moriarty about starting my custom built Wolf. I am super fired up. for the last month its all I can think about. So the thing is, I've already told Mr. Moriarty that I was planning on a buckeye burl top for the guitar. After combing the internet for all the knowledge I can find, I think I am going to go with 3 humbuckers. My question for anybody who has an opinion is this, How much affect on the tone, do you think the top will have? From what I have read about the buck, its a fairly light and somewhat brittle wood. that being said, do you think I will lose something by not getting the maple top? any input is much appreciated.
Rojack01
TC
TC

Re: Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya' tomorrow

Postby Rojack01 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:06 pm

So I guess I am violating some kind of etiquette or something.
Rojack01
TC
TC

Postby WilliamC » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:10 pm

There's a thread from 2007 on the Alembic site (bass oriented of course): http://alembic.com/club/messages/402/38 ... 1175660782
On a neck-though like a Wolf, I'd think nearly all the "wood effects" are related to neck construction.
WilliamC
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Rojack01 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:22 pm

Thats what i was thinking
Rojack01
TC
TC

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Rojack01 wrote:So I guess I am violating some kind of etiquette or something.

no ... there isnt anyone home right now check back soon
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:47 pm

What do you mean by this?
strumminsix

Postby Rojack01 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:54 pm

strumminsix wrote:

I'm just a spaz. I was thinking that since I'm not talking "Garcia tone" exactly maybe it was out of the guide lines. I love Jerry as much as anyone and I'll be the 1st to admit that I try to emulate his fluidity, But I'm trying to do my own thing. After obsessing for months trying to Identify an extremely versatile high end guitar that would do everything I asked of it and be a statement in itself and a special purchase. I have got my heart set on the Moriarty Wolf, with some embellishments. The situation I find myself in is a good one to be in, I guess. Guitar players that are not heads have no clue what I am talking about when It comes to the hippie sandwich and all that. So that is why I have gravitated towards this board. :-) I am a little spastic.
Rojack01
TC
TC

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:07 pm

I knew what you meant.

The only thing I'd say is that if the "Jer tone" is one of the things you're after, the common wisom in these parts is that a Super 2 split coil in the middle position is one of the key elements. If you only do a 2 pickup deal keep that in mind.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:58 pm

TI4-1009 wrote: the common wisom in these parts is that a Super 2 split coil in the middle position is one of the key elements.

That is specific to Garcia's '82-'95 ('93?) sound. Personally I have a slight preference for the split Dual Sounds of the '79-'81 Tiger. Recently listened to the 9/12/81 Estimated> Eyes> Jam> Space while driving up Mt. Hood... it just doesn't get any better than that!!

But the OP said he is ordering a Wolf-modeled guitar, which leads me to a question I've never even considered and wonder if anyone (paging Mike W.!) knows the answer: were the Dual Sounds in the Irwin Wolf ever replaced with Super 2's? ...In '89, perhaps, or sometime after?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:08 am

Rojack01 wrote:
strumminsix wrote:

I'm just a spaz. I was thinking that since I'm not talking "Garcia tone" exactly maybe it was out of the guide lines. I love Jerry as much as anyone and I'll be the 1st to admit that I try to emulate his fluidity, But I'm trying to do my own thing. After obsessing for months trying to Identify an extremely versatile high end guitar that would do everything I asked of it and be a statement in itself and a special purchase. I have got my heart set on the Moriarty Wolf, with some embellishments. The situation I find myself in is a good one to be in, I guess. Guitar players that are not heads have no clue what I am talking about when It comes to the hippie sandwich and all that. So that is why I have gravitated towards this board. :-) I am a little spastic.

Ahhh, gotcha! There are many of us here who emulate Jerry without guitars, Bobby without Bobby guitars, Phil, etc.... IMO, "the sound" needs to both properly serve the music AND excite you to play! Good luck!!! If you are ever looking further off the proverbial Jerry reservation I'd recommend Rice Custom Guitars. I've played a dozen of their instruments, own 1, another on the way, had one prior. They'd be my rec for getting the sound without replicating.
strumminsix

Postby Rojack01 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:11 am

tigerstrat wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote: the common wisom in these parts is that a Super 2 split coil in the middle position is one of the key elements.

That is specific to Garcia's '82-'95 ('93?) sound. Personally I have a slight preference for the split Dual Sounds of the '79-'81 Tiger. Recently listened to the 9/12/81 Estimated> Eyes> Jam> Space while driving up Mt. Hood... it just doesn't get any better than that!!

But the OP said he is ordering a Wolf-modeled guitar, which leads me to a question I've never even considered and wonder if anyone (paging Mike W.!) knows the answer: were the Dual Sounds in the Irwin Wolf ever replaced with Super 2's? ...In '89, perhaps, or sometime after?

So when he got the Tiger it had Dual Sounds in it? Did he use Tiger in JGB full time after he got it?
Rojack01
TC
TC

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:25 am

Tennessee Jedi

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:35 am

Rojack01 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:

So when he got the Tiger it had Dual Sounds in it? Did he use Tiger in JGB full time after he got it?

Yes and yesssssss.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby waldo041 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:55 pm

tigerstrat wrote:

SUGAREE SAMPLES

since we can pretty much eliminate the rig as it is the constant here. the 2 guitars, wolf and tiger, sound pretty similiar even with different preamps. but the difference is definately heard in the pickups used.

wolf with dual sounds/blaster
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1978-1 ... lac.flac16

tiger with dual sounds/opamp preamp
http://www.archive.org/details/gd79-11- ... sbeok.shnf

but i can clearly hear a difference with the super II's, especially in the higher register.

tiger with superII's and opamp buffer
http://www.archive.org/details/gd86-05- ... sbeok.shnf

89 wolf with superII's and opamp buffer???
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1989-1 ... eok.flac16

now looking at the specs of the dual sound/super distortion and the super II, we can see why.

strictly going off of the audio, i believe 89 wolf had the super II's, but that is strictly my opinion.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:12 pm

I wonder if Wolf had the Super 2's placed in it right before Shoreline/East Coast Fall '89, but after it's brief Summer '89 appearances (which I'm not sure have been fully catalogued...). My reason for this suspicion is that Wolf's pickups sound rather bassy to my ears when Jerry goes non-MIDI with it in the first half of Other One from 7/19/89. Maybe he had become accustomed to a different range of settings on the tone knob with Tiger and it was throwing him off a little bit...
tigerstrat

Next

Return to Jerry Tone