MAC Question

MAC Question

Postby cripeowner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:00 am

Are all the solid state macs voiced the same 250 2100 2300 2500 but are just different output wattage? Does anyone have expierence comparing the different models.
If the mc 250 is x # of lbs and the 2300 is close to 200lbs but they sound the same why go 2300. Does mac make anything now similar to the sound of the 2300? It would be great to have a newer option to 40 yr old power amps. Maybe MAC can answer that question at the gear expo. Any insight would be appreciated and quality information will be rewarded with a little something extra in your check this week.
cripeowner
Pigpen
Pigpen

Re: MAC Question

Postby tapestry » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 am

From what I was told, they are all very similar....I dont think you could go wrong with any of the mentioned macs. I guarantee that the missing link of the mac will change your tone for the better!

Some people can't hear it, but its there and when properly dialed in it growls and screams! I have the 2100 but I know Jim (from cali) picked up a mc50 and it has the tone as well.

The only thing I have yet to try with my mac is to disengage the sentry monitor. I have two channels and use only one, so even if i screw it up, i still have the other channel. Ill probably try it after the Live Free fest this weekend...I should have more time then!
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby mijknahs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:27 am

I personally think the are all voiced a bit differently yet they are still all similar (compared to other amps). The smaller amps (50-100 watts) seem to have a bit more midrange going on. The 2300 is more open sounding. To me, a 50 watt Mac doesn't have enough headroom for playing with a band unless you are mic'ed all the time.

Jim (from Cali)
mijknahs

Postby Grant » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Yeah I find the 50 plenty loud, def lacks headroom though
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby cripeowner » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Just picked up a 250 in great shape. The shop whipped up a 1/4" to RCA and a 1/4" to terminal fork connectors out of high quality parts and cable for $10 ea. OOOOOOHHHH man soooo sweet and so different in the way you approach your playing. The clearness and articulation when playing softly is unreal. I've got great information off this site so I feel I should contribute. The waldo buffer and the SMS CTP I highly recommend buying and believe me I've owned 1 and maybe 2 of everything in my lifetime I think I'm finally done..............for today :lol:
cripeowner
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby mijknahs » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Isn't it crazy that something like a power amp can make such a difference in tone?
mijknahs

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:47 am

It IS crazy. Seems that all power amp designers go for absolutely dead-flat response with minimal distortion and zero coloration yet they all sound different.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby zambiland » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:47 pm

I keep running up against Bob Lee at Talkbass who works at QSC and insists that every power amp sounds exactly the same with the only difference being sensitivity and power rating. As soon as he shows up, I usually unsub from the thread.
zambiland

Postby cripeowner » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:15 am

I've compared a QSC 1400 a GX3 and a 50w tube power amp and they are all different even 1 QSC to the other.
cripeowner
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:11 pm

The weird thing about power amps is that they are technically flat response, no coloration, perfectly (nearly) linear within the power band. And for bass players, maybe they're less likely to notice the things we do with guitar and the far more complex treble and overtones. But reality is that instrument transients are VERY dynamic and very complex so that when we push an amp hard with guitar signals, what may seem like subtle differences to someone measuring an amp in a lab or listening to stereo music in a clean and controlled hi-fi setting, these differences become glaring from one amp to the next. So glaring in fact that we may hate one map and dig the next one. One may irritate and suck, and the next may totally flatter your guitar sound. Power amps are weird like that. And don't ever expect the spec's of an amplifier to reveal the musicality of how it will sound driving loud electric guitar. Only trying it out will tell.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby waldo041 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:16 pm

once you go mac, you never go back!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Return to Jerry Tone