Jerry-caster-ization!

Jerry-caster-ization!

Postby JustinJohn » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:01 pm

I'm gearing up to Jerry-fy my strat (Tiger-style), and I'd really like some info on exactly which components I need to get, and where I should get them online... in particular the pots, switches, and the Super 2's. I plan on grabbing one of waldo's TPC1s, and a suitable pickguard from Warmoth, but I'm not really sure which kinds of pots and switches I need, or if I need to order the pickups with some kind of special feature (other than being F-spaced). Also, I would like to know the best place to order all this online - hopefully from some cool folks who know what I'm getting at...

Thanks!!

:smile: :smile: :smile:
Last edited by JustinJohn on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: Jerry-caster-ization!

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:12 am

JustinJohn wrote:I'm gearing up to Jerry-fy my strat (Tiger-style), and I'd really like some info on exactly which components I need to get, and where I should get them online... in particular the pots, switches, and the Super 2's. I plan on grabbing one of waldo's TCP1s, and a suitable pickguard from Warmoth, but I'm not really sure which kinds of pots and switches I need, or if I need to order the pickups with some kind of special feature (other than being F-spaced). Also, I would like to know the best place to order all this online - hopefully from some cool folks who know what I'm getting at...

Thanks!!

If you do some research here, and on Waldo's web site, you can find out everything you need to know. To get you started...

http://www.wald-electronics.com/tiger.html

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29 ... llwid.jpg/

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7080 ... gsmall.jpg

As far as where to buy stuff, there are many, many sites. I usually use amazon just to get the lowest price, lowest shipping etc. Make a list of what you need and go shopping! Again, If you search this forum, you can find out anything you need to know! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby JustinJohn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:42 am

Thanks for linking all that stuff hippieguy! I have seen the info on Waldo's site and the "Pickup Wiring" diagram before. From all the info Ive gathered, I can guess I need a 25k volume pot and a 500k tone pot - but I don't know which one's would be the best, what type of 2-way switches I need, and most importantly, where to get this stuff from the best place online.

8)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:39 am

JustinJohn wrote:Thanks for linking all that stuff hippieguy! I have seen the info on Waldo's site and the "Pickup Wiring" diagram before. From all the info Ive gathered, I can guess I need a 25k volume pot and a 500k tone pot - but I don't know which one's would be the best, what type of 2-way switches I need, and most importantly, where to get this stuff from the best place online.

8)

Yes, (1) 25K volume pot,( 2) 500k or 250k tone pots (personal prefference) I use 500K pots for tone. CTS pots are very good. (3) DPDT mini switches...I like dimarzio. (2) switchcraft stereo input jacks, (3) Dimarzio super 2 pickups, wire, solder, soldering iron and patience. As far as where to get the stuff, there is always StewMac and like I said....many other sites. Just do a Google search for "guitar electronics" and you will see! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby waldo041 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:18 pm

the mini toggle switches for the pickups and the OBEL are On/On DpDt. for the pickups, if the neck and bridge are going to share one switch a DpDt On/On is needed, however for the single middle switch a SpDt On/On can be used for spce, but a DpDt On/On can absolutely be used as well, only one set of lugs will not be used. this is for single/series wiring of course.

Here are some places i use for parts, for guitars and effects without listing the big name mouser, allied electronics, etc....

http://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html

http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/

http://pedalpartsplus.com/

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/

http://www.stewmac.com/

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Are all Super II's the same?.. or are they neck/bridge specific?
Pete B.

Postby JustinJohn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:45 pm

Awesome!! Thanks for the replies Waldo, hippieguy, and pete!! =) helps a ton!

Pete: I'm keeping my neck pickup - love the sound of it - I'm gonna put a super 2 in the middle and bridge - I didn't know I had to specify which position each pickup is going in - I don't recall those options on the dimarzio website...
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:45 am

JustinJohn wrote:Awesome!! Thanks for the replies Waldo, hippieguy, and pete!! =) helps a ton!

Pete: I'm keeping my neck pickup - love the sound of it - I'm gonna put a super 2 in the middle and bridge - I didn't know I had to specify which position each pickup is going in - I don't recall those options on the dimarzio website...

I've never seen any options for neck or bridge when purchasing super 2's. They are all the same. :smile: :smile: :smile:
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby WilliamC » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:15 am

Hmmm. I'd been thinking of building up an Alligator, but this sounds like a cooler possibility. How do you plan to lay out the body routing and pickguard (and the second jack)?
WilliamC
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:34 am

WilliamC wrote:Hmmm. I'd been thinking of building up an Alligator, but this sounds like a cooler possibility. How do you plan to lay out the body routing and pickguard (and the second jack)?

There are a few Jerry-casters here. viewtopic.php?f=309&t=8607&hilit=jerry+inspired+guitars

Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:03 am

I'm using 3 super 2's, per amp/buffer and OBEL.
Neck and bridge pickups will share a DPDT on/on for coil splitting. The middle pickup will have it's own DPDT on/on for coil split.
The only other switch (besides the 5 way selector) will be the OBEL switch, also DPDT on/on.
I don't use series/parellel or phase switching, so no reason to have those switches. (Have had them and never seem to use them).
Also, the neck and bridge pickups will share a 500k tone controle and the middle pickup will have it's own 500K tone control. Besides that there will, of course, be the 25K log volume control pot.
Jim

hippieguy1954

Postby JustinJohn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Anyone know where to find a new dimarzio sd-1? If not, what would be a good alternative?

=)
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby keirweir » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:35 am

I'd check in with a few local music stores.

They have access to warehouses and catalogs that should solve your problem.
keirweir

Postby JustinJohn » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Im pretty sure its a discontinued item, and the places ive looked seem to reflect that (mostly online)...

Please say it aint so!
JustinJohn
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Jon S. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:34 pm

For my newest J-caster, I went with Super IIs for the neck and middle but a Super Distortion for the bridge and am glad I did. The SD is thicker and punchier - I don't believe a 3rd Super II would sound as good or blend as well with the other PUPs.
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Next

Return to Jerry Tone