Help with basic clean 80's Garcia tone

Re: Help with basic clean 80's Garcia tone

Postby hippieguy1954 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:44 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:I think a used one would be all worn out... ;-)

Depends on how used! :lol: :lol: :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby mijknahs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 pm

I actually have vintage ones in mine (the soapbar style plastic cover) and the sound exactly like all the new one's I've used and still have. I just like the "look" of the old ones. They are not any weaker than new ones.
mijknahs

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:50 am

mijknahs wrote:

I actually have vintage ones in mine (the soapbar style plastic cover) and the sound exactly like all the new one's I've used and still have. I just like the "look" of the old ones. They are not any weaker than new ones.

I've heard (through secret RUKIND posts that anyone can see) that Jerry would disagree and would throw those old ones away. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:smile: :smile: :smile:
hippieguy1954

Postby mijknahs » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:17 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:
mijknahs wrote:

I've heard (through secret RUKIND posts that anyone can see) that Jerry would disagree and would throw those old ones away. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:smile: :smile: :smile:

He's probably throw out all my old JBL E120s as well since they probably sound worn out too. He changes strings every time he plays too. I can go a bit longer than that with my strings (at least 3 or 4 gigs)...
mijknahs

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:55 am

I thought those E120's were mine :D And yea, strings, strings, strings! I'm never happy with them any longer than about a week max, but that can get costly, so I use them for a couple of weeks sometimes three. I need a free life time supply. :lol: :smile: :smile: :smile:
hippieguy1954

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:02 am

redeyedjim wrote:Leaving aside the middle Super II for the moment, do most of you also run a Super II for the bridge pickup? Anyone run a Dual Sound or something else? I'm getting close to buying my own assortment of Tiger pickups so it's more than idle curiosity.

I leave Super II's aside altogether. Dual Sound are where it's at for me.

Strings. Whenever I get lazy and try to play a 2nd gig on set of strings I always regret it.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mijknahs » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:19 am

tigerstrat wrote:Strings. Whenever I get lazy and try to play a 2nd gig on set of strings I always regret it.

For years I used to always change my strings before every gig but now I kinda like the way they sound as they mellow.
mijknahs

Postby hippieguy1954 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:52 am

I have a dual sound in my Vantage and am very happy with it! A little different dynamic than super II, but a great clean pickup. :smile: :smile: :smile:
hippieguy1954

Postby claytushaywood » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:07 pm

waldo041 wrote:
Jerry1996x wrote:Question. Ive seen a bunch of mentions of Garcias alembic twin mods. Can these mods, as well as an AB763 mod, in any way be done to a 135 watt twin????

sure can. just perform all the post or pre alembic preamp mods(your choice) i have on my webpage for the preamp and have your tech just tighten up the power section for really clean output. oh and drop the stock fender master volume circuit and place a 250k pot inbetween the preamp and the power section, right at the 220k mix resistors node and the phase inverter.

peace,
waldo

Whats up with this 250k pot? is that to make the master volume a post phase inverter master? Why not just drop it completely? I dont know much about the ultra linear twins, but man dude from shakedown amps can get em sounding spectacular
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone