Best repro tiger for less than 5k?

Re: Best repro tiger for less than 5k?

Postby Phil Lesh101 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:18 pm

But if he sold Alot of them... :roll:
"I didn't ask them to misspell anything to prove their authenticity, but I believe they're legit." ~ Rusty The Scoob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9EGVZio2M
https://archive.org/details/DA2013-10-19
Phil Lesh101

Postby Grant » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:07 am

Doesn't change the time/cost - the business would have to expand (ie. Not small time anymore)

I know of only one small time builder who builds what I consider an excellent quality guitar under 2.5 (non dead related)
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Grant » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:09 am

Well I guess it can change cost marginally if buying parts/wood in bulk, still, it's not a lot of $
Grant
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby strumminsix » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:41 am

Grant wrote:
strumminsix wrote:I'm gonna be soooo unpopular but I'd strongly suggest really thinking about your custom guitars.

These are yours! Be sure that you love them and each and every part of it! For 5k you can get 2 custom axes from many quality builders out there and have it perfect FOR YOU.

okay, annoying PSA over.

you're talking factory guitars right? (eg. fender custom shop)

cause a small time builder would not be making much off a $2500 guitar

Not factory guitars. I can think of a few quality builders that do guitars between 2-3k.
strumminsix

Postby vwjodyme » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:28 am

I've seen a few Post's go for under 2k..i think he even had a tiger go for 1500 a while back
vwjodyme

Postby willmusic » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Post was the first guy I thought of. Got my sights set on a Wolf down the road, if he ever gets an opening again. When I first saw his work, he had a few models for sale here in town at Richmond Music Center. They ranged from 1100 to just under 2000. Awesome, clean, and flawless. At least what I saw. And they play like a dream too!
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:12 pm

playingdead wrote:I built a "budget" Tiger without all the brass, cocobolo back, rear inlay, etc. ... still gets the tone in spades.

However, if I were to do it again, I would just have Scott Walker make me a guitar that will do the Jerry thing and so much more ... like I eventually did. Especially if I already had the Warmoth for the visual thing. The Walker is far nicer to play than my Tiger guitar is, even after Brawer redid the neck and the wiring.

I noticed the pickups are raised all the way up, is that how he does it? Why is that?
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Chuckles » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Post will build you a beauty that you can count on to be very playable and well designed.

Vic, that remains one of the sickest axes I've ever seen. Do you use it now as your #1 for PD shows when you come up?
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby tapestry » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:03 pm

I like the walker too. Now, I'm thinking of designing m own. Hmmm mm.
tapestry
Bobby
Bobby

Postby mijknahs » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:38 pm

The Walker is less than 5K too as long as you don't get too fancy on the inlays.
mijknahs

Postby playingdead » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:41 pm

The bridge pickup sits higher due to the neck angle. Scott typically uses carved wood pickup surrounds on the Special, with a thicker bridge ring, but we opted for the copper surround so it sits flat. It's not quite all the way up but it's close.

That guitar is in Texas now, and my Tiger is in Boston, where Playing Dead gigs. I have played the Walker in Texas with Dead Eye and it's a great guitar. It will make its way to Boston soon.

Scott is the man ... ask Brad Sarno how he likes his new Walker.
playingdead

Postby postguitars » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Are you looking for a full on replica or more of an inspired by Tiger kinda guitar?
postguitars
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby jeager » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:55 am

That Scott Walker is a work of art, I kinda think it goes beyond being a mere tool in terms of value and well worth the money...(its added value really) Small shop builders, need to charge a bit more than 2500 to put something like this together, think of all the man-hours just involved in putting the finish on. If you have ever done that you realize it is very labor and time intensive. Add in the costs of the materials and shop overhead etc and you wonder how a guy can make a living at it... How many $ 5,000 guitars do these guys have to sell each year to make ends meet?

Anybody look into buying a painting by a well known artist lately? Could be in the same ball park (or more) easily but you can't play music on it.
"One man gathers what another man spills..."
jeager
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby 1960strat » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:23 am

I am happy to report that I played a few of Moriarty's builds at the Deadgear expo and they were incredible. Two different neck shapes both very comfortable and is more of a taste issue. They sound and look incredible.
He's so high he will probably sell it to us for free.
1960strat
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby gdrfk1990 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:31 am

I am thinking of putting together a bare bones model for about $2000 maybe $2500 depending on the price availability of cocobolo at the time and specs of the order and even possibly something even cheaper at $1000 I am only on my second guitar so the detail work is not even close to the others mentioned here but the guitars are nice and they play and sound great. This is what I am thinking let me know what you guys think.

Cocobolo maple coco bolo also thinking of just cocobolo top of semi hollowed mahogany or maple to keep the price down
24 fret hand carved neck (modeled after a thin neck Warmoth)
Rosewood fretboard small circle inlay
3 super 2s
TPC sm1
Grover Tuners
Schaller strat style bridge top loading
No OBEL though I may add this option
$2000

I am also kicking around trying to make a cheaper model but not sure if I should
solid ash alder mahogany with a maple top body
24 fret hand carved neck
2 super 2's
standard tuners and strat bridge
tpc buffer
The idea here would be to use cheaper parts and wood for the body to drive down cost but still try to get the Garcia tone I am not sure about this idea though I am leaning towards just building the same ones I have been building for myself with nice parts. But also I figure there may be people who want something cheaper ?? let me know what you guys think
$1000
gdrfk1990
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone