late Jerry Tone

Re: late Jerry Tone

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:35 pm

mkaufman wrote:After Buffalo, they played Detroit. I was there and Keith was asleep at the piano the entire night. Terrible show - started at 10 PM due to equipment delay. It was bitterly cold outside and they wouldn't open the doors.

Was Donna there?
strumminsix

Postby jahozer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:38 pm

From '87 till Brent died in '90, man in some ways that was pinnacle GD in my opinion.

My bass player and I argue about this all the time. He actually never saw Jerry, but his favorite period is the 73 era. He almost discounts anything else. Even 77. And certainly the 80s. What a shame for him. He is very talented and has his head around Phil style than anyone Ive played with, but he is missing out on some great shows.
My favorite era was 77 then late 79-80 when Brent came on board, then 89. 89 Freakin SMOKED!!!! The dark moody psychedelia, that distortion Jerry had, just everything. I remember my favorite show I saw (not favorite tape) was 1989-10-19 Philly. I remember thinking that they were on the verge of something great. Or greater than they were . Some new territory for them. It was just so dark and weird. ( I was, well you know... :twisted: )

I think 91-92 was just bleh, I saw a bunch of shows, but some were just so hard to get through. Vince's sound choices were just terrible. 93 was a bit of a resurgence. Jerry was healthier than he had been. He was bouncing around on stage, smiling. The Loose Lucy's were fun. They turned vince the FUCK DOWN.

94-95 was his physical and mental descent. Again if you've ever been around anyone in the throws of unmanaged diabetes, the descent is very familiar. Even the soft puffiness of his face is sad. I hate to see pics of him then. I guess being the alpha dog of that group, there was no way telling or making him do anything. They even gave him an intervention, and he called their bluff. We all certainly would have followed JGB around if they kicked him out.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby CoolBreeze » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:11 pm

All right- agreed that things were weird in 94-95. I *think* it was 94-95 at Riverport in st Louis, and Little red rooster- bobby takes a solo, Jerry takes a solo, then the next time around they both do slide solos. Jer's slide solo had like THREE notes total!! F'ing brutal.

BUT, at that time, - Eyes of the world and Stella Blue had taken on a completely different feel- really neat, as I remember. They were still changing things up with those 2 standards, and i LOVED IT.

Personally, I couldn't stand Vince and/or Bruce- after Brent passed, I was hoping they would go WITHOUT keys (in hopes they would have to fill spaces with the rest of the band.I remember buckeye in 88- they launched into a glorious "Sugaree"- only to have it ruined by Bruce coming out with a squeezebox) . But that's personal opinion.

There were moments in those years (post Brent)- but fleeting.

I still miss it all- the good, the bad, the humorous - every day.

And I am still thankful for what they brought to my life, and what they bring still.

-Bruce
CoolBreeze
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:01 am

I cannot stand to see the crappy '93-'95 GRATEFUL DEAD guitar tone blamed on Steve Cripe's AWESOME Bolt guitar. It was the absence of GUITAR SPEAKERS, and the guitar itself had NOTHING to do with it. Listen to the juicy tone from BOLT in this Fall 1993 JERRY GARCIA BAND viddy (thank you JBL's!!!):

"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:25 am

tigerstrat wrote:I cannot stand to see the crappy '93-'95 GRATEFUL DEAD guitar tone blamed on Steve Cripe's AWESOME Bolt guitar. It was the absence of GUITAR SPEAKERS, and the guitar itself had NOTHING to do with it. Listen to the juicy tone from BOLT in this Fall 1993 JERRY GARCIA BAND viddy (thank you JBL's!!!):

Absolutely. This tone issue can not be blamed on guitars or playing style. It's an incredibly simple concept. To demonstrate it, all one has to do is take their standard guitar rig using JBL speakers, and then swap out the JBL cabinet with a small full-range, hi-fi PA cabinet with a tweeter/horn. That right there is what we heard change in '93. Guitar to a guitar speaker vs guitar to a full range PA speaker. There's a very, very, very good reason that guitar players use guitar speakers and almost NEVER use PA speakers. Only in the case like Vic's where the Axe-FX is doing all kinds of modeling to obtain the naturally rolled off high end that you get with a guitar speaker and NO TWEETER can you sound like a real electric guitar tone.

And Bruce, I'm SO with you. The squeezebox on Sugaree was another heartbreaker for me. Not cool. Wrong song!!

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby The Stag » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:50 am

i think bolt sounded exellent and it had that acoustic sound even with the jbl e120s i agree you can get it through pa speakers but jerry also got it through his jbls. stella blue i agree took on a whole new meaning with some of those endings 94 95 era. also black peter jerry got into quite a bit.
Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby keirweir » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 am

Visions of Johanna

Great vocals, great impromptu Jerry solo and GREAT Jerry tone for 95!

http://www.archive.org/details/gd95-02-21.dsbd.stephens.8840.sbeok.shnf

I was a 90's tone guy forever (its what I saw live 95) but the 80's tone to me was the best.

BTW... The video Tigerstrat posted showcases some sick Bolt tone. That guitar was freaking awesome and sounded SOOO tasty especially with the reverb Jerry had going with the late JGB stuff.
Last edited by keirweir on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
keirweir

Postby mijknahs » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 am

The Stag wrote:i think bolt sounded exellent and it had that acoustic sound even with the jbl e120s i agree you can get it through pa speakers but jerry also got it through his jbls. stella blue i agree took on a whole new meaning with some of those endings 94 95 era. also black peter jerry got into quite a bit.

Hey Stag,

You got an example of Jerry "acoustic" tone with JBLs? JGB I assume? Maybe a youtube link?

Jim
mijknahs

Postby jahozer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:35 am

Only in the case like Vic's where the Axe-FX is doing all kinds of modeling to obtain the naturally rolled off high end that you get with a guitar speaker

Exactly. Digital modeling if it even existed in 93 was no where near what it is now. The boys were pioneering that too!
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:45 am

Given the in-ear DI situation that came about in '93, I bet Jerry would have gone totally nuts over the Axe-FX had it existed at the time. But as we know that level and quality of technology was far from being developed back then.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby The Stag » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Jerry Garcia Band-Midnight Moonlight (11-11-93)

Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby RiverRat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:00 pm

The Stag wrote:Jerry Garcia Band-Midnight Moonlight (11-11-93)

Fixed the link for you!
RiverRat

Postby 1960strat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:58 pm

RiverRat wrote:
The Stag wrote:Jerry Garcia Band-Midnight Moonlight (11-11-93)

Fixed the link for you!

WOW! The left hand! People dont give Jer enough credit for what a tremendous rhythm player he was.
He's so high he will probably sell it to us for free.
1960strat
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby The Stag » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:41 pm

not trying to start a arguement but everyone just said it was the p a giving him the acoustic sound but here he is using his jbls and this is one of the best sounds ive ever heard! very acoustic like jerrys diggin it to this is a rippin version high energy vocals and guitar very strong performance and not a note out of place, Dan Jr
Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby waldo041 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:53 pm

The Stag wrote:not trying to start a arguement but everyone just said it was the p a giving him the acoustic sound but here he is using his jbls and this is one of the best sounds ive ever heard! very acoustic like jerrys diggin it to this is a rippin version high energy vocals and guitar very strong performance and not a note out of place, Dan Jr

I'LL TAKE THE BAIT!

that is NOT the GD tone that we are discussing, that is pretty sweet tone because it's NOTHING like the acoustic jerry tone.

that is the DI jerry piezo'esque tone!

and here it is with Bolt,

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone