late Jerry Tone

Re: late Jerry Tone

Postby keirweir » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:44 am

Stag, I was once infatuated with the 93-95 tone. The Bolt tone has been something of debate for some time. 95% of the tone freaks on this site do not like this tone. It’s understandable given Jerry was the all time tone king.

Vic (as usual), nailed the 94 tone on that clip.

However, something that's also been debated regarding the tone was whether or not it ever had Piezo pickups. I have a Piezo bridge in my strat and I can NAIL that Oregon 93 Bolt acoustic tone. Its rather thin but (that tone) is right there. If you want that tone get yourself a Piezo saddle for your guitar and a nice acoustic amp or PA.

What is this acoustic simulator?

My .02
keirweir

Postby deadagainband76 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:29 am

The tones your getting in these videos are both authentic. While everyone may not like them, you are on the right track. Very jerry. The first time I heard jerry using that sound was Deer Creek 93' if I remember correctly... But it works great for that Big river/Cowboy tunes etc even if it is a little icky.
deadagainband76
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby deadagainband76 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:34 am

I have never had any luck with any acoustic style pedal or emulator. They are just loud and dont sound good at all. I do hear some of that acoustic tone somewhere in there when I use the neck/middle pickup with my trio on clean. Its thin and you have to pump your power amp a little more but to me its my goto position for anything along the lines of peggy-o mexicali big river.. etc. Btw I think boss sells an acoustic pedal for 100$ or so..
deadagainband76
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby The Stag » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:37 pm

that is the one the i tried from boss and it sounds fuzzy and breaks up. so i should go with a piezo? do you have a audio so i could here your tone? thanks for the info, Dan
Dan Jr
The Stag
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:55 pm

just substitute a full range speaker cab for your normal guitar cab ...done.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby deadagainband76 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Do you mean just a regular PA speaker?
deadagainband76
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:12 pm

deadagainband76 wrote:Do you mean just a regular PA speaker?

yeah. have you tried that?
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strummingturtle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:18 pm

To me that late tone was very thin sounded lacking that midrange thickness also thought he lost some sustain/overtones those last 2 years. I would suggest going for the bridge pickup and rolling back your midrange or skip playing through jbls and find some thin sounding speakers to play through. I would also guess that is fair to say he was at best tired in 94 and 95 and his picking was a bit gentler.
strummingturtle
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby deadagainband76 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:35 pm

tigerstrat wrote:

No , never thought of that.
deadagainband76
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby deadagainband76 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:40 pm

Anyone know where to buy the piezo pickup ,How much they are or any details? Ive come to realize that in order to really see what sounds good and what you like, you pretty much have to just keep buyin stuff until you get the right combination. Hopefully Ill find it before I run out of time and $$$. haha .New to the site thanks for the info!
deadagainband76
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby deadagainband76 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:41 pm

deadagainband76 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:

No , never thought of that.

Do I need to use a board for power or can I just use my regular power amp ..
deadagainband76
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby waldo041 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:01 pm

i have been blessed and honored to have held rosebud, bolt and tophat and NONE of them have a piezo pickup. do exactly as tigerstrat has stated if you are after that tone. a trio, sms ctp, or preamped twin direct to a power amp to a full range speaker. OR use the mentioned preamps straight into a powered monitor or a channel in your PA and you will have that tone.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:19 pm

There's some really good info in the Blair Jackson gear book on the Bolt guitar/93-on tone. The Piezo thing is definitely a red herring, they didn't use one. The Boss AC-2 will get you pretty close, I got rid of mine but it worked great for the 90's tone thing.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:54 pm

Come back to the light, don't stray into the darkness my brothers. That era of Jerry's crispy direct '93+ tone was his most unforgivable sin. The death of his legendary, beautiful, sacred, and holy Mac/JBL tone being replaced by that direct-tone abomination was a tragedy of such great proportion that it was only to be bested by his actual death.

:?

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:45 pm

I have to agree there, one gig a while back my power amp was having issue and I went direct into a QSC from the preamp and whala, twangy 94 Jerry. No piezo, no anything different but a QSC FRFR powered speaker. It went to the board for FOH like that from the out of the QSC and It was probably as close to that tone I have ever come. I am sure there is some more tweaking to get it "Just" like his from a particular show, but the beginning palate was there to work with, and not much more to do to get there. I am sure piezo may get you close to the sound, but I am not sure that's how Jerry did it. It sure does sound like a piezo tho...

+1 Brad, but we all have our own pinwheels to spin... :-) It did not cut or resonate like Jerry was know for. It seems to be a tough tone to work with as a lead guitarist.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone