Sarno Earth Drive Pedal

Re: Sarno Earth Drive Pedal

Postby Tony6Strings » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:49 am

I was planning on getting a Tube Screamer for my chain, to give me more options. I've got a Boss DS-1, early 80's, MIJ, I love it but there's some stuff it doesn't do well, it's not the most subtle thing in the world... After hearing the audio clips and reading this thread, I think one of these things is going into my chain instead of a tube screamer. Here's to discovering new things through forums!
"Why do the best things always disappear, like Ophelia?"
Tony6Strings
Brent
Brent

Postby modz » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:33 pm

I find that my Earth drive plays well with other OD pedals. I have a Zen drive (I have it on most of the time, barely bumped up) and when I hit the ED it really sounds great. The ED also sounds great with a BOSS OD.
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby claytushaywood » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:01 am

It's not like danelectro is gonna care about the goop... if they wanna reverse engineer your pedal and offer it at 1/4th the price they will. and if someone wants to reverse engineer your pedal they will. I just read a de-gooping tutorial actually! I've actually found that people that reverse engineer pedals and build clones, will be more enticed to clone it, make a pcb and run a production of clone pcbs to make beginner DIY'ers jobs easier, if the pedal contains goop.

I dont really care one way or the other, I'll probably buy it because I'll want to try it before someone reverse engineers the pedal. So my question is... what is your warranty? since you have made an unrepairable pedal?
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:02 am

claytushaywood wrote:It's not like danelectro is gonna care about the goop... if they wanna reverse engineer your pedal and offer it at 1/4th the price they will. and if someone wants to reverse engineer your pedal they will. I just read a de-gooping tutorial actually! I've actually found that people that reverse engineer pedals and build clones, will be more enticed to clone it, make a pcb and run a production of clone pcbs to make beginner DIY'ers jobs easier, if the pedal contains goop.

I dont really care one way or the other, I'll probably buy it because I'll want to try it before someone reverse engineers the pedal. So my question is... what is your warranty? since you have made an unrepairable pedal?

Have you checked out the web site???????????
Info here: http://www.sarnomusicsolutions.com/policywarranty.html :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:14 am

clay, i feel like you may be overreacting a little bit...

brad's simply doing his best to protect his work -- it's no different from copyrighting a book. he obviously works hard at what he does (and he makes his work, which to the best of my knowledge is all handmade with USA parts, available at prices so reasonable they're pretty much unheard of in the rest of the boutique gear world) and it seems to me perfectly appropriate for him to want to delay the inevitable theft and subsequent cheap reproductions of his designs. i'm 100% sure that if i ever encounter a problem with my earth drive pedal or my SMS Classic that he'll help me out in whatever way he can, and i have no reason to think he'd treat you differently. that being said, i've been playing, gigging, and just generally using my SMS gear pretty hard for a couple years now and it's been impeccable; not a single problem.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:14 pm

wolftigerrosebud wrote:clay, i feel like you may be overreacting a little bit...

brad's simply doing his best to protect his work -- it's no different from copyrighting a book. he obviously works hard at what he does (and he makes his work, which to the best of my knowledge is all handmade with USA parts, available at prices so reasonable they're pretty much unheard of in the rest of the boutique gear world) and it seems to me perfectly appropriate for him to want to delay the inevitable theft and subsequent cheap reproductions of his designs. i'm 100% sure that if i ever encounter a problem with my earth drive pedal or my SMS Classic that he'll help me out in whatever way he can, and i have no reason to think he'd treat you differently. that being said, i've been playing, gigging, and just generally using my SMS gear pretty hard for a couple years now and it's been impeccable; not a single problem.

+1 .......and clay, stop being a dick! :smile: :smile: :smile:
hippieguy1954

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:16 pm

It's actually a completely serviceable pedal. There are a small few gooped components, but really, they're not likely to go bad, ever. Even if they did, I could destroy that section and rebuild it. But that ain't ever gonna happen. The pedal is all straight up discrete, "thru hole" components like any good ol' guitar pedal. Once disassembled (not all that easy actually), I can easily service the thing. We're kind to our customers. Even with gear well past its warranty, I'm well known to take good care of people and the gear.

That warranty on our website is offical and based on some more serious legal formatting as "real" warranties need to be. The reality is that we're super chill and easy going about backing up our gear quickly and cheaply.

B
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby jkstraw » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:31 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:We're kind to our customers. Even with gear well past its warranty, I'm well known to take good care of people and the gear.

That warranty on our website is offical and based on some more serious legal formatting as "real" warranties need to be. The reality is that we're super chill and easy going about backing up our gear quickly and cheaply.

B

+1 I can personally vouch for how awesome Brad is and how well he treats is customers. I am a nobody guitar player and got treated like I was his only customer.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:37 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:That warranty on our website is offical and based on some more serious legal formatting as "real" warranties need to be.

Yeah it read like it was written by a lawyer. Gotta cover your ass and all, I'm sure.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby hippieguy1954 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:40 pm

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:It's actually a completely serviceable pedal. There are a small few gooped components, but really, they're not likely to go bad, ever. Even if they did, I could destroy that section and rebuild it. But that ain't ever gonna happen. The pedal is all straight up discrete, "thru hole" components like any good ol' guitar pedal. Once disassembled (not all that easy actually), I can easily service the thing. We're kind to our customers. Even with gear well past its warranty, I'm well known to take good care of people and the gear.

B

Anyone who has spent much time here at all, knows the above. You are highly respected, have a fantastic reputation and awesome products! :smile: :smile: :smile:
hippieguy1954

Postby willmusic » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Can't wait anymore. Ordering mine tomorrow! BTW Brad, saw and heard what you did with Rob Eaton's new vintage Ibanez MC. Well done, sir! Well done!
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby strumminsix » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:00 pm

jkstraw wrote:
SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:We're kind to our customers. Even with gear well past its warranty, I'm well known to take good care of people and the gear.

B

+1 I can personally vouch for how awesome Brad is and how well he treats is customers. I am a nobody guitar player and got treated like I was his only customer.

+2 I can personally vouch as well. I have had the SMS for about a year now and it's awesome and flawless. If it ever had a problem I contact Brad and would be anyone here a steak dinner he'd take care of me as long as the problem wasn't caused by neglect. He's the only person I've known who has 100% positive reviews. Not 1 neggie. Seriously.
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:34 pm

+++ Brad has been nothing but helpful and my SMS CTP has been a game changer for my tone more than any piece of gear I own. Earth Drive is at the top of my list of toys to get . . .
tcsned

Postby zambiland » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:48 pm

jkstraw wrote:

B

+2.

Last weekend I tried the Earth Drive in the effects loop of a Groove Regulator 2. What a great sound! I had kept the drive control pretty far down prior to this (I'm a bass player), but it sounded really cool cranked up and in the middle of the GR2. Very chewy, funky sound.
zambiland

Previous

Return to Jerry Tone