Nashville Tele with Dimarzio SDS-1

Nashville Tele with Dimarzio SDS-1

Postby Grateful.Ed » Wed May 11, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm thinking of getting one for the middle of a nashville tele with a rosewood neck.

It's described as a bridge pup. Are you using it in middle or neck....is it too hot?

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated. THX
Last edited by Grateful.Ed on Tue May 17, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grateful.Ed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: Anyone using the Dimarzio SDS-1?

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Thu May 12, 2011 6:59 am

Yea I have used one in the middle spot on a strat knock off. It will do the trick. I have on in the bridge spot on my Garcia guitar and never use it, even for the out of phase stuff.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby Grateful.Ed » Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 pm

THX! I think I'm gonna give it a try.

This guitar seems pretty sweet. I'm rewiring it for the 4 way tele postions (Neck/Bridge/Both Series/Both Parallel) and the Middle only.

The black pup should look a lot better than the white one too.

Grateful.Ed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jenkins » Thu May 12, 2011 5:08 pm

Yup, I had one installed in the middle of my les Paul & I couldn't b happier, it totally nails the Jerry tone.
Definitely worth putting in there, if your going for Jerry it's totally awesome
I wasn't sure about it but i couldn't fit a super 2 on there but once it was installed I was shocked at how great it sounds
jenkins
Billy
Billy

Re: Nashville Tele with Dimarzio SDS-1

Postby Grateful.Ed » Tue May 17, 2011 8:14 pm

The SDS sounds awesome

Grateful.Ed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby cstig » Thu May 19, 2011 9:42 pm

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 5248240440
hey checkout this tele I've been eyeing it on their site for about a year to do the exact same thing with but now its on an ebay auction and im without a job.... it's killer neckthru, bound ebony neck, and gorgeous it will always be the guitar that got away to me... oh well
cstig
rukind?
rukind?

Postby BJolley » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just came across this post. Great info. I want to do the same thing to my Nashville Tele so I'm glad to see it has worked for others. Question for Grateful Ed: Did you install a regular SDS-1 in the middle position or a reverse wound/reverse polarity pickup? Not sure which I need to purchase -- this will be my first pickup change so I'm still learning this stuff... Thanks for any help.
BJolley
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby bstormwind » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:22 am

The SDS-1 is a fine pickup, but it does lack high end sparkle and low note definition that fender 57/62 or 54, 69 custom shops give you for example. sds-1 is more midrangey with higher output - the high output can be nice because helps push an amp into some breakup without a pedal (depending on your amp and set-up that is). However, that extra output will also change the interaction with the neck and bridge pickups when using pos 2 and 4 on the nash....you may or may not like the result. Just an FYI. Its too much fun to experiement with these things.....i have lost track the times i have changed the pickups in my strat trying to find what i like best. the sds-1's have made it back in and out a time or two. i like em best in the bridge.
bstormwind
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby BJolley » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Bstormwind, thanks for the thoughts. I'm trying to get some more Jerrish tone out of a guitar I already own. Rather than trying to route out the body, buying a new pickguard, and then coil splitting a Super 2, I thought sticking an SDS-1 in the existing route might help. Any thoughts on regular vs. RWRP pickup for middle position? I don't even know whether the stock FenderTex-Mex middle pickup is RWRP.
BJolley
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby drewfx » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:42 am

On a strat you normally don't get a "bridge and neck together" PU combination, so a RWRP middle PU is used to cancel hum when combined with either the neck or bridge PU in the 2 or 4 positions.

I'm not sure how your Nashville PU's or switching is set up, but if you are only using the PU on it's own, it doesn't matter whether it's RWRP or not.
drewfx
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby BJolley » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:04 pm

I completed this swap a couple of weekends ago on my Nashville Tele. It's far from true "Jerry Tone" (likely operator error more than anything) but closer than before -- and I like it. It's much higher output than the stock Tex-Mex strat pickup, which allows the envelope filter to open and the Q-Tron to come alive in on the first an second strings -- which just wasn't happening with the stock P/U. I'd say worth the $50 investment. There is a noticeable volume boost when going from either the bridge or neck P/U to the SDS-1. Now if only I can learn to solder better...
BJolley
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Return to Jerry Tone