Sarno Music Solutions!

Re: Sarno Music Solutions!

Postby redeyedjim » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:10 am

Jon S. wrote:
hawk900 wrote: If you look at this baby it appears dead on but way to pricey http://www.fydamps.com/photo3.html

Nice find but what's the price and where are you seeing it (I don't see any prices on the page or the guy's other web site pages)?

I'm not hawk900, but I actually know the answer to this as I wrote to Dan Lurie last week to see what he would charge to build another of these, and he quoted me ~$800 and around 3 weeks. So pretty reasonable and fairly quick, really. I love my SMS CTP, but I don't think i take anything away from the SMS when I say that Dan's preamp looks pretty sweet, too.
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby SarnoMusicSolutions » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Damn, $800. I want one. That's very cool.

Brad
... and it's just like any other day that's ever been...
SarnoMusicSolutions

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:34 am

I love my SMS/Jerry! It has been great not having to think about pre amps. Just turn it on and wala! It does the job in spades! :smile: :smile: :smile:
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby strumminsix » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:14 am

As this is the Sarno section... Brad, how soles e Black Box shape Bobby's tone as it comes after his wireless? I love the concept of the guitar seeing a tube first, like straight into an amp, but it's after the wireless. Also, can it be mounted UNDER a PedalTrain board? Lastly, could one be made to power off 9v dc like a multi power adapter used on boards?
strumminsix

Postby Jon S. » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:28 am

Well, if this is truly "The Sarno Section," I'll add my question, too.

Brad - how many advance orders & at what price would you require for it to become worth your while to design and build a new rack mounted SS power amp to match your Classic Preamp? (Serious question.) :-)
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby jkstraw » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:48 am

Jon S. wrote:Well, if this is truly "The Sarno Section," I'll add my question, too.

Brad - how many advance orders & at what price would you require for it to become worth your while to design and build a new rack mounted SS power amp to match your Classic Preamp? (Serious question.) :-)

Yes, yes and yes :cool: I would totally be in for this!
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby JamminJommy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:42 am

Jon S. wrote:Well, if this is truly "The Sarno Section," I'll add my question, too.

+1 :cool:

Peace,

Jommy
Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theuncommonsenseband
JamminJommy
Mickey
Mickey

Postby wolftigerrosebud » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Also very interested in this.
wolftigerrosebud
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby barefootdave » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Also interested in SMS Pre and Power ordered together.

JBLs will be here next week!
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby claytushaywood » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:42 am

redeyedjim wrote:
Jon S. wrote:
hawk900 wrote: If you look at this baby it appears dead on but way to pricey http://www.fydamps.com/photo3.html

Nice find but what's the price and where are you seeing it (I don't see any prices on the page or the guy's other web site pages)?

I'm not hawk900, but I actually know the answer to this as I wrote to Dan Lurie last week to see what he would charge to build another of these, and he quoted me ~$800 and around 3 weeks. So pretty reasonable and fairly quick, really. I love my SMS CTP, but I don't think i take anything away from the SMS when I say that Dan's preamp looks pretty sweet, too.

whoah for a hundred bucks more you get handwired (I will never buy anything else that uses a PCB with tubes, even preamp tubes, especially PCB mounted tubes, except maybe one of those 1 watt blackstar ht amps), full sized transformers (and mercury magnetics to boot, as least that's what it looks like, though I cant see how those would be included at such a low price), and real spring reverb?? Also he's got a 3rd tube in there, I wonder what that does... tube buffered output maybe? I've always wondered why jerry's twin had three tubes in it and the SMS has two?

that's wassup!
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:04 pm

claytushaywood wrote:
whoah for a hundred bucks more you get handwired (I will never buy anything else that uses a PCB with tubes, even preamp tubes, especially PCB mounted tubes, except maybe one of those 1 watt blackstar ht amps), full sized transformers (and mercury magnetics to boot, as least that's what it looks like, though I cant see how those would be included at such a low price), and real spring reverb?? Also he's got a 3rd tube in there, I wonder what that does... tube buffered output maybe? I've always wondered why jerry's twin had three tubes in it and the SMS has two?

that's wassup!

really?

that preamp DOES have the tubes mounted on its PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD! what are you talking about or trying to insinuate?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby redeyedjim » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:10 pm

waldo041 wrote:really?

that preamp DOES have the tubes mounted on its PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD! what are you talking about or trying to insinuate?

peace,
waldo

You may have missed it, but a previous rukind.com thread linked to his initial build thread on el34world.com where he discussed his build process. Despite what you see from the top, it's all p2p wired on the underside, so it isn't a printed circuit board per se. This is a picture of the underside of a different amp or preamp, built by a different builder but using the same construction technique:

Last edited by redeyedjim on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dilettante - sounds nicer than "hack"
redeyedjim
Mickey
Mickey

Postby waldo041 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:17 pm

whoa! open mouth insert foot! didn't see that, my apologies to claytus with my last post. :oops:

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby JonnyBoy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:28 pm

I don't understand the huge difference between using a PCB and hand wired. I only ask because I dunno if it really makes a difference tone wise. Is it the quality of the connections? I can't see how a PCB would really make that huge of a difference, much like solder etching being a PCB. I think it would make little difference tone wise if the right components are in there. I can however see that the repairs and the fragile nature of the board could cause unwanted issues. If a builder gives an unconditional type of warranty, and it makes it through a year or two under normal conditions (proving its stability), I can't see how a PCB wouldn't be OK.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby Smolder » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:40 pm

I don't believe there are significant sonic diffences. PCB's are less expensive to manufacture in bulk, but more difficult to mod or repair. Not all PCB's re the same. I've worked on amps that have very thin and fragile traces... Others are stronger.
Smolder

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone