Please post your pics and sound bytes.

The SMS Classic is Jerry In a box.
Thank you Brad
Thank you Waldo

Shine it Back!! :hail: :hail:
jdsmodulus

Re: Sarno Music Solutions!

Postby Becker Guitars » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:50 am

last time umphrey's came through boston i got to talk to Jake about his recently acquired black box....what an awesome pedal! he sounded like he's been thrilled with it, and his tone through the BB was sweet. i want/need one.
Becker Guitars
TC
TC

Postby strumminsix » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:37 pm

jdsmodulus wrote:This is the place for all things Sarno.

Thank you Brad
Thank you Waldo

What place?

There are a few Bobby types who use Sarno stuff.
strumminsix

Postby keirweir » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:18 am

JD, I saw the recent pics you posted on FB... Lets hear that thing!
keirweir

Postby jdsmodulus » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:04 am

I have a Flip cam I thought I would make a vid and post but Im not sure how to do it. :lol:
jdsmodulus

Postby helio » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:02 pm

strumminsix wrote:

Thank you Brad
Thank you Waldo

What place?

Hi all... Newbie to the forum, here. But inspired to make my first post by the tone genius of Brad Sarno. The descriptions and testimonials I read about the Black Box led me to get that little piece of magic not too long ago. Then began a search for a new amp, and figured that any man who knew tone well enough to create the Black Box must be making a sweet pre-amp.

Well... took delivery of my new Classic Tube Preamp last week. Gigged with it on Saturday (through a Mesa 50/50 and JBL E-120 speakers. Wow! Just stunningly clear, pure tone. I quoted the above posting in mine because I wanted to emphasize the point that the CTP is far more than just a tool for those who want Jerry's tone. And, yes... even more than a tool to do both Jerry and Bobby.

To me, it's power is far, far more universal than that. To me, it's the solution if you want pure, clear tone to sound like it's shooting straight from your fingers to the speaker with no unnecessary interruptions in between. The tone sounds like an amplified party between my pick, my fingertips, the metal strings, the wood of my guitar, and the tubes of the pre- and power amps. My band plays mostly original rock songs that are all over the map between clean and overdriven sounds. And the CTP makes it all sound better. From crystal clear cleans, to light crunchy overdriven tones to sweet, smooth, fully-saturated overdriven tones rich with harmonics... the CTP is just a terrific conduit for it all.

I should close by saying that my enthusiasm for Brad's skills also had me ordering his new Earth Drive pedal. Wonderful overdrive that went straight onto my board, and one that well deserves to have the name "Sarno" written on it!
helio
TC
TC

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:13 am

strumminsix wrote:

Thank you Brad
Thank you Waldo

What place?

Oh yeah and Bobby too! I didn't mean it that way. Everybody always forgets about Weir! I didn't! :peas:
jdsmodulus

Postby zoooombiex » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:16 pm

I posted about the BB on TGP a while back. It's a really great buffer - probably the most musical one i've tried. The zvex SHO may be slightly more "neutral" but the BB adds a very natural aura to the sound.

Very curious to try the Earth drive when I get a chance...
zoooombiex
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby tcsned » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:50 pm

jdsmodulus wrote:
strumminsix wrote:There are a few Bobby types who use Sarno stuff.

Oh yeah and Bobby too! I didn't mean it that way. Everybody always forgets about Weir! I didn't! :peas:

Who is this "Bobby" you speak of? :-) j/k

Love my SMS Classic - still getting the new rig fine tuned - my gig Saturday should be a good test to see if all the stuff works as it should. SMS has not been the source of problems as it was my guitar having problems and the signal path of the Lexicon MPX-G2 that have been the source of grief.

I want to get an Earth Drive as soon as I can get $$ together.
tcsned

Postby zambiland » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:38 pm

tcsned wrote:
jdsmodulus wrote:
strumminsix wrote:There are a few Bobby types who use Sarno stuff.

Who is this "Bobby" you speak of? :-) j/k

Love my SMS Classic - still getting the new rig fine tuned - my gig Saturday should be a good test to see if all the stuff works as it should. SMS has not been the source of problems as it was my guitar having problems and the signal path of the Lexicon MPX-G2 that have been the source of grief.

I want to get an Earth Drive as soon as I can get $$ together.

What's the issue with your G2? I had one until it died and it worked great, signal path-wise. I miss it and Lexicon won't fix it.
zambiland

Postby mijknahs » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:40 am

This is my SMS Classic preamp (into McIntosh MC2120 - 1x12" JBL E120). No effects.

http://ia600409.us.archive.org/27/items ... ve-cut.mp3
mijknahs

Postby Stone » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:59 am

Sounds good. What kind of guitar are you playing ?
Stone
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tcsned » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:03 am

eeeeee wrote:What's the issue with your G2? I had one until it died and it worked great, signal path-wise. I miss it and Lexicon won't fix it.

It was a routing issue. I have a 3 and 4 year-old at home so time to spend getting things set up is pretty limited and usually the time I have to set up before a gig. I was running my stompboxes before the SMS and the Lexicon after but was using the guitar input and it was having a clipping issue no matter where the gain was set so I put the Lexicon before the SMS and it worked fine but I wanted to have some more routing options and to be able to use the speaker sim if I had to run direct. I had never used the input+effects loop routing before and finally got that all figured out. Works great now.

Man, the SMS really sounds great. I was doing an A/B test with the Mesa Mark IV combo yesterday and it really nailed that classic Twin sound much better than my TRRI. It's not nearly as versatile as my Mark III or Mark IV but the tone it has totally kicks ass. I can't wait for my new guitar with Waldo preamp and OBEL to be done. The preamp is really gonna come in handy now because of the extra cables needed to route in, out, in, and out of the Lexicon.

What problem were you having with yours? I have two of them and they both had problem with the three pots on the front getting dirty. I was really playing havoc with the thing. A little tuner cleaner fixed it right up.
tcsned

Postby TI4-1009 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:40 am

tcsned wrote:Man, the SMS really sounds great. I was doing an A/B test with the Mesa Mark IV combo yesterday and it really nailed that classic Twin sound much better than my TRRI. It's not nearly as versatile as my Mark III or Mark IV but the tone it has totally kicks ass.

tcsned- did (can?) you try the SMS as the preamp through the effects loop of the Mesa's? Just curious, I was thinking of something similar- wanting the tone of the SMS, but also the versitility of the Mesa when needed for other stuff.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby JonnyBoy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:44 am

TI4-1009 wrote:
tcsned wrote:Man, the SMS really sounds great. I was doing an A/B test with the Mesa Mark IV combo yesterday and it really nailed that classic Twin sound much better than my TRRI. It's not nearly as versatile as my Mark III or Mark IV but the tone it has totally kicks ass.

tcsned- did (can?) you try the SMS as the preamp through the effects loop of the Mesa's? Just curious, I was thinking of something similar- wanting the tone of the SMS, but also the versitility of the Mesa when needed for other stuff.

Wouldn't that be the way you would have to run the SMS to get the pure SMS channel? Like preamp->effects in mesa-> signal to mesa power amp only->speakers? It is good you are all working out the kinks before I get mine 8) .
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Next

Return to Jerry Tone