Carvin DCM200L!!!!

Re: Carvin DCM200L!!!!

Postby PurpleTrails » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:37 pm

The amp has both balanced and unbalanced, i.e 1/4" jack, inputs. This is pretty normal for amps that have balanced inputs, for the very reason you brought up. My guess is that the amp doesn't actually have a balanced topology internally throughout its circuit. That would be pretty unusual at that amp's price point.

Even if it didn't have unbalanced inputs you can buy barrel converters that you can plug a 1/4" male plug into that then will plug into an XLR socket. I had to do this with my mic to recorder on one of my setups back in my taper days.
PurpleTrails
TC
TC

Postby skajellafetty » Wed May 07, 2014 9:30 pm

any idea how this compares to a Hughes & Kettner CF200?
skajellafetty
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby PurpleTrails » Thu May 08, 2014 11:41 am

I couldn't find much tech info online on the Hughes & Kettner, but it looks like it is a typical solid state class AB amp, running at 100 watts stereo and bridgeable to 200 watts mono, half rack sized. The Carvin is a class D amp. The H&K is going to weigh more, maybe 4-5 times more, and has been out of production for awhile. The Carvin is obviously still in production. As to which might sound better, your guess is as good as mine.
PurpleTrails
TC
TC

Postby skajellafetty » Thu May 08, 2014 12:12 pm

:oops: oh sorry... I should have clarified: I've had a CF200 since new in 93. I LOVE it & not considering the Carvin as of yet (I am awaiting a Carvin guitar though)... it's never had a problem & is clean, reliable, responsive... I've ran it with all digi gear & analogue & it's worked perfectly. I was really just curious so in case it does ever poop out I'd have an idea of a good replacement. the CF200 always seemed like a great ss amp that flew under the radar & under appreciated. (Too bad they don't make them any more) :hail: (& I hope I didn't hijack the thread... I love Carvin stuff!)
skajellafetty
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby PurpleTrails » Thu May 08, 2014 10:24 pm

I've really liked the sound of the H&K stuff I've heard, and your amp has a pretty good rep for good sound. I also own a couple of carvin guitars; which model do you have on order? I've been lusting after a DC400 myself.
PurpleTrails
TC
TC

Postby skajellafetty » Fri May 09, 2014 12:59 am

A Carvin SH65. It should be here in next couple of weeks
skajellafetty
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

Postby PurpleTrails » Fri May 09, 2014 6:23 am

Sweet. I have an AE185, which is the same body type with a different bridge and a piezo, and it is a really nice playing and sounding guitar. Upper fret access is way better than you would think looking at the body shape. Enjoy your new guitar.
PurpleTrails
TC
TC

Postby Jon S. » Fri May 09, 2014 10:44 am

I just ordered a pine HT-style 2X10 cab, that I'm going to load with neo speakers, for my backup rig. My SMS and Carvin in their Gator short rack weigh a combined 16 lbs. The cab *loaded* will weigh 30 lbs. I'll be able to take these to a gig, with my guitar in a gig bag over my shoulder, on the Metro! :cool:
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby czyfingers » Fri May 09, 2014 9:10 pm

I couldn't resist all the praise and idea of a 4 lb power amp any more...I ordered a dcm400l tonight. I think I'll rack it with the SMS like you Jon....then use the FYD with my MC50 or MC2120 if I ever feel the need to cart a 60+ lb power amp out. (Very unlikely) sometimes I've just gone super portable and taken my DRRI out. Then I could always cart the 50lb DSR and use it's pre/power or preout it to one of my power amps...then there's the blues master... I love choices. :) At least The 4 lb carvin should be easy to smuggle in the house with out my wife seeing it. :) once it's in, she'll never notice that I have a new piece of gear. :)
czyfingers
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Jon S. » Sat May 10, 2014 2:21 am

Here's the best way to smuggle in that new Carvin. Go to Victoria's Secret, buy something cheap but cool, and have them put it in a Victoria's Secret box. Then as you come in the door and you wife sees the box, you say, "Hey - no peaking. This is a present for you later." Then take the box into your music room, remove the Carvin, and you're set!
"For me, I think the only danger is being too much in love with guitar playing. The music is the most important thing, and the guitar is only the instrument." Jerry Garcia
Jon S.

Postby czyfingers » Sat May 10, 2014 4:11 am

Great idea Jon! My wife's name happens to be Victoria too, so you really threw me when I first read this.....once its in my music room and the box it came in is hidden, I'm safe because there's way too much gear in there for her to have a clue what's new or old! Not that she enters that sanctuary very often anyway.... :)
czyfingers
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Searing75 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:20 am

I assume you meant to write 200L? You will love it! Hands down the second best amp I ever used, next to the MC50. The weight thing is just wonderful, and I had failed back surgery so it helps. Although, I do continue to lug around the Mc, but it's not terrible.

The Carvin lacks the upper mids that the mc has, but you can throw a modded boss ge7 in right before it, and boost those frequencies to get real close!
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby czyfingers » Sat May 10, 2014 9:24 am

I did mean 200L. I typed a lower case L. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm also awaiting the new transistors for my beloved MC50 and I can't wait to get that back into action. They'll be arriving Tuesday. It's been on the bench for 2 weeks now!
Searing....Gail at Mac was wonderful!
czyfingers
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Searing75 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:33 am

Someone has a crush! :oops: :-) :lol:
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face