Wolf 2.0 Pickup question Revisited

Re: Wolf 2.0 Pickup question

Postby NSP » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:04 am

cmc64 wrote:
NSP wrote:
cmc64 wrote:to NSP - very nice rig you have there. I checked out your video clip - very nice playing and you have a great tone going on there. I have always loved PRS guitars. What pickup do you have in the bridge position and which were you using in the video clip?

Thanks. Yeah, should have mentioned, that was all middle position. They're all DAllen. It's his matched s/s/h VooDoo set.

-Tim

Well that is yet another vote for those pickups. They really do sound fantastic. It is kind of hard to tell from the picture - do you have a coil tap switch for that bridge humbucker?

Thanks!

No coil tap for the HB. The only switch I added was the OBEL bypass.

Yeah, I'm very happy with the pup's. Nice tones, super quiet, and if you have any questions or concerns you actually get a response from Dave himself, quickly. Great customer service and a quality product.
NSP
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby joeriz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:57 am

Another vote for the DAllens. I just purchased my second set of the VooDoo Blues because I was so happy with the sound and customer service (like others have said, David himself responds to emails promptly). Just a great product...beautiful sound, very responsive to picking dynamics. Love 'em!

Joe
joeriz
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby Mosfed » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:48 pm

claytushaywood wrote:I searched for several months for jerry style single coils. waldo (iirc) said that jerry's pickups were alnico 5- 5.8k- and formvar wire i believe... i forgot. but the pickups I ended up with fit those specifications exactly. I tried the fender custom shop 69's- which were good but a little to edgy and noisy, some fralin's, some lollars (all the 60's or 70's models I could get my hands on). I ended up with the D. Allen CS 69 Voodoo's (i believe they are called VP now). They are perfect... basically his model of pickup he created to be a Fender Custom Shop 69 killer... I dont know how or why, but they are the quietest vintage strat style pups i've ever used. I HIGHLY recommend these pickups- at $150 or so (complete with paper in oil capacitor for an extra $1) they are the best deal on the market. You can just feel how high quality they are when you hold them in your hand. the silicon/rubber tube things he sends to mount the pickups with also prevent them from getting microphonic at the LOUDEST volumes.

Since Jerry only really used the middle pickup you can still be good getting a set with a hotter bridge pickup- he makes a couple sets that have the 5.8k neck and bridge pickup (same as voodoo 69's) but have a hotter bridge pickup... I think the 6.2k bridge pickup on the voodoos is hot enough... not much louder than the others, i dont know i might like a 6.8k or even a 7.6k for some hot tones... but the stock pickup with the voodoos is great for big railroad blues. these are perfect for any jerry tones, but especially for the 70's tones. they're a bit warmer and not quite as edgy as the super 2 split, but still bright and cutting, more glassy, but still punchy. i'm about to post some demo's so you can check it out for yourself

I installed mine with shielding that I did myself and a master tone control along with a rotary switch called the "Chromacaster" made by deaf eddie. this allows EVERY pickup combination possible in a strat including every SERIES, PARALLEL OUT OF PHASE, and in SERIES OUT OF PHASE sounds... including stuff like bridge and neck in series out of phase in parallel with middle. and of course bridge and neck in parallel or series. I find these tones very useful even for jerry stuff. the bridge and middle in series does a great humbucker tone.

I'm getting seriously close to jerry tones- even with my pro reverb amp and rosewood fretboard with tusq nut and floating vintage strat trem. Even without all the brass and hardtail- and the tube power amp with weber california- I am getting damn close to a nice jerry tone

That's an awesome post mate. Thanks for all the info!
--
"And I'm here by the road, tied to the load, that I picked up in ten thousand cafes and bars" - Barlow
Mosfed
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Mr.Burns » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:34 pm

I can vouch for the prompt replies from Mr. Allen himself. I like the idea of the company's namesake being responsible for the actual production and order fulfillment. I work for a small company, and this is not always the case. I haven't installed my VooDoos yet, but I had a similar goal in mind in regards to sneaking in some Wolf tone. I'll post my results, maybe we should start a DAllen thread?
Mr.Burns
Phil
Phil

Postby Chinarider1A » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:12 am

wolftigerrosebud wrote:
do the D. Allen CS 69 Voodoo's get that nice overdriven sound that Jerry had in late '77 from wolf, or is it more like alligator?

i dunno about the d. allens but the lollar blackfaces i mentioned definitely do.

Would that be with or without a blaster? I am currently running a blaster with some Dimarzio Dual Sounds, but am looking for that bigger raunchier sound that Jerry got with the single coils in late '77/early '78....
Chinarider1A
Brent
Brent

Postby Chinarider1A » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:32 pm

has anyone compared the sds 1 to the lollar balckface or the d allen's for the wolf sound?
Chinarider1A
Brent
Brent

Postby claytushaywood » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:51 pm

i'm glad i got the d allen bug goin! amazing pickups...

I have mine installed with a bad ass rotary switch in place of my neck tone pot on my strat (the bridge tone pot now acts as master tone- which actually works much better- and its nice to have control over bridge pickup tone)

anyways this rotary switch is called "the chromacaster" made by a guy called "deaf eddie" it allows like 27 unique pickup combos which include neck and bridge together and all 3 on... bridge and middle in series (basically a humbucker!) and all sorts of in paralell out of phase and in series out of phase etc etc.

best part is- that it works in conjunction with your 5 way selector and you can use your strat bone stock in the first position on the rotary switch. Also no need to drill new holes- your guitar looks completely stock.

I've installed quite a few of them for people- and i'll offer that service along with your new pickup installs to anyone out there who wants this done in rukind world for cheap! or get the chromacaster from deaf eddie he has good instructions that come with it!!

VERY! highly recommended strat combo right there... to think i was never a strat guy!
claytushaywood
Billy
Billy

Re: Wolf 2.0 Pickup question Revisited

Postby cmc64 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread which has been well covered but the thread about the Garcia interview from 10/02/1977 got me thinking. Jerry really knew his gear. In that interview, he states that there are Stratocaster type pickups in his newly refinished Wolf, but he has no idea of what brand or winder they are. That strikes me as a bit odd. Waldo's site indicates that in 1974 Wolf had stock Strat pickups but by Wolf 2.0 it had Strat-style pickups (which Jery confirms in the interview). So is the general consensus that the D Allen trip (they do sound GREAT) is about it or does anyone have any other insight that might be of value? I love the 1977 Fall Tour -> Spring of 1978 Wolf tone and am currently listening to 02/05/1978 (and earlier JGB 03/18/1978) and I want to nail it.
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Without outright giving away what i believe they are, i will hint that dimarzio learned his craft from a master winder. I am looking to try them out as well....

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby James-T » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:48 pm

http://webspace.webring.com/people/nb/b ... rshall.htm

Interesting thought. I always assumed the Wolf came back from Irwin in 77/78 with the Dual sound pups, but a quick internet search reveals a photo from 78 showing the Wolf with its new inlay that Jerry talks about in the Oct 77 interview and also with 3 single coils.

That early 78 tone is an illusive one and this sort of explains it.

Peace,

James
James-T
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby strumminsix » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:48 am

James-T wrote:http://webspace.webring.com/people/nb/bsmall2/Photos/JimMarshall.htm

Interesting thought. I always assumed the Wolf came back from Irwin in 77/78 with the Dual sound pups, but a quick internet search reveals a photo from 78 showing the Wolf with its new inlay that Jerry talks about in the Oct 77 interview and also with 3 single coils.

Peace,

James

Wow! That's new info to me too!! I didn't know he went back to 3 singles in 78!
strumminsix

Postby cmc64 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:00 pm

waldo041 wrote:Without outright giving away what i believe they are, i will hint that dimarzio learned his craft from a master winder. I am looking to try them out as well....

~waldo

Ok Mike, now I am foaming at the mouth!!!! Oh please, please please :shameless begging:

I had Scott Walker make me a "single coil" Super Distortion (as he does for the Super 2) to use as a bridge pickup in a Jerry Strat with a Wald Electronics Blaster. Am I on the right track?

Oh, I must know. This tone, which was the impetus for starting this thread, is my Garcia holy grail tone. I must know. Please. :smile:
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby cmc64 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:04 pm

James-T wrote:http://webspace.webring.com/people/nb/bsmall2/Photos/JimMarshall.htm

Peace,

James

Wolf came back from Irwin refinished and with the Wolf inlay, new single coils and a switchable effects loop just before the Fall 1977 tour (I think, as Jerry used the Traivs Bean at Englishtown a few weeks prior). If my timeline if correct, Irwin had the Wolf in July of 1978 to install the Dualsounds, SDS-1 and associated electronics. I believe Jerry used a custom Ibanez Musician during this time, as he did in 1979 with Reconstruction. Do I have this right?
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby cmc64 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:27 pm

I am sorry to keep bumping this but as I sit here listening to JGB 3/14/1978 I think I may explode. The knowledge is close at hand. Now who taught DiMarzio how to wind pickups? Time to begin research....

edit: :smile: :-) :smile: :-) :smile: :-) :smile: (I think)
cmc64
Billy
Billy

Postby waldo041 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:34 pm

"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone