advice for warren

Re: advice for warren

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:51 am

Foolish Heart was solid .....
Not to mention Jerry took his guitar sound to new levels with MIDI stuff ....Many of the tunes got facelifts ....
Is this NEW DEAD gonna do new tunes ?
Or is it back into the songbook ? Heres their big chance to do something new ! Will Phil do Ashes and Glass ? Will Bob do whatever Phil calls his tunes these days ?
Warren has quite the cover band resume being in the DEAD and the ALLMANS .....
Amyjared
I guess the well was empty ......
But jeez poor Jerry loved ya !
Peace
Me again
:D
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4223
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Re: advice for warren

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:54 am

User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6654
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: advice for warren

Postby RETURN » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:56 am

Dear Warren:
We all know how badass you are so just do your thing, keep it upbeat/danceable and all will be good. If I can offer one piece of advice it would be to Pleeeeeease get some rest after the Beacon run and whatever else your crazy schedule will no doubt bring. We all need you guys at your A game.

Regards,
All of us.

P.S. I hear Bobby and Phil are getting along nicely these days. Can you confirm?
Dry your eyes on the wind.
RETURN
Brent
Brent
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:17 am
Location: Across the Rio Gran D O

Re: advice for warren

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:59 am

I couldnt find the version I was talking about ...
Bob is off the hook !
maybe Jerry didnt dig the vocals on that one ....
:smile:
I just think the statement that " Jerry held the Dead back " is a tad overstating it a wee wee wee bit.
:D
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4223
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Re: advice for warren

Postby BlobWeird » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:03 am

"We all know how badass you are so just do your thing"

"We" would include me I believe and I do not feel the same at ALL! So "You" know how badass he is not me lol. Anyways I agree with Tjed that Jerry was the one holdin it down. And umm Liberty is a Jerry tune. Not written by but still it was his tune that im sure HE brought to the band. And whats wrong with him not diggin up old songs? He moved on from them and thats that. Like Mountains of the Moon? Come on you really think Jer would pull that off in the 90's? Hell no! It woulda sounded like garbage if you ask me. my .02
User avatar
BlobWeird
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:08 am
Location: Central Jersey

Re: advice for warren

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:04 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:I just think the statement that " Jerry held the Dead back " is a tad overstating it a wee wee wee bit.
:D


Yup. First you need to decide was the band held back or was it just part of their evolution?
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6654
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: advice for warren

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:09 am

amyjared wrote:Point of clarification:

Liberty; Way too go Home ; Corinnia; Victim; etc


No new JERRY tunes. Sure the others still wrote songs and got the band to do them, but Jer wasn't writing much of anything.

OK, you may continue with the lambasting! :lol:



Liberty.... Garcia/Hunter

Lazy River Road.....Garcia/ Hunter

So Many Roads..... Garcia/ Hunter

Days Between.... Garcia/ Hunter
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"
CountryMile Cadillac
Jerry
Jerry
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:42 pm

Re: advice for warren

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:13 am

It would be cool if the boyz could pull something coherent together; some new tunes; some new vision.
Jerry's legacy seems to be holding 'em back ....Which way to go ? Who to play what and when ?
Most be complicated ....
I feel like unless Warren would commit to the Dead full time that they wont have a solidified guitar position ....
Guess I shouldn't get ahead of my self ....
Heres to a good tour
:cheers:
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4223
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Re: advice for warren

Postby Chuckles » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:39 pm

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:
Chuckles wrote:Saw 'em tonight at the Inaugural Ball, and Warren played a strat all night.

I don't know if it is a preview of the tour to come, but I will say that he sounded very thin throughout...

But, otoh, a great couple of mini-sets!



That's great you were able to go, a bet there was alot of energy in the air!

What were the set lists? Inform inform...

Dancin>
UJB>
Sugar Mags>
Eyes (cut short when the Bidens arrived)

Wheel>
Box o'>
Touch

Great freakin' time!

------
oh, just saw the other thread - more there shortly
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
User avatar
Chuckles
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: DC

Re: advice for warren

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:08 pm

GD originals 80's-90's:
Jerry-12: (LRR, SMR, *Liberty, Days, Foolish, Standing, Day Job, Touch, BMR, West L.A., Believe It, Built)

Bobby-9: (Bucket, Throwing, Esau, Victim, Picasso, Answers, Eternity, Corinna, Stranger)

did I forget any? (just counting Jer n Bob's)

*= music mostly done as RH wrote it iirc
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: advice for warren

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:12 am

tigerstrat wrote:GD originals 80's-90's:
Jerry-12: (LRR, SMR, *Liberty, Days, Foolish, Standing, Day Job, Touch, BMR, West L.A., Believe It, Built)

Bobby-9: (Bucket, Throwing, Esau, Victim, Picasso, Answers, Eternity, Corinna, Stranger)

did I forget any? (just counting Jer n Bob's)

*= music mostly done as RH wrote it iirc


Phil - Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues :lol:

Kidding aside I seem to recall Bobby adding a boatload of Dylan and Blues.
Also both he and Jerry mixed in a few of their sideband tunes, IIRC....

Ruben , Fever, CC Rider, Salt Lake City, Baby Blue, Kansas City, Woman Smarter, Revolution, I fought the Law, Desolation Row...
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6654
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

Re: advice for warren

Postby amyjared » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:53 am

GD originals 80's-90's:
Jerry-12: (LRR, SMR, *Liberty, Days, Foolish, Standing, Day Job, Touch, BMR, West L.A., Believe It, Built)

Bobby-9: (Bucket, Throwing, Esau, Victim, Picasso, Answers, Eternity, Corinna, Stranger)

did I forget any? (just counting Jer n Bob's)

*= music mostly done as RH wrote it iirc


OK, so I stand corrected. Jerry did more new songs than Bobby, but I read Phil's book, I have almost every issue of Golden Road, I read Scribe's book and Scully's and they all said that Jerry junkie days made things almost intolerable and I've known many folks who went down that road and they were always less productive than they could have been. Jerry had the weight of the world on his shoulders, he wanted to slow down but everytime he tried, he felt bad because so SO many depended upon the Dead to fund them (his words, not mine). I still stand by my statement that he held them back musically because according to all the articles, they said he did. I'm more of a Jerry fan than anyone in the band, and I saw shows religiously from '83 to the end, and gone were the days of 3 hour shows and setlists that surprised (for the most part it was pretty easy to call what songs were coming up next). Sure there were exceptions, but mostly it was by the book, imho. Didn't mean I didn't love them...and still do.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
User avatar
amyjared
Senior Member
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Eugene, OR

Re: advice for warren

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:08 am

amyjared wrote:
OK, so I stand corrected. Jerry did more new songs than Bobby, but I read Phil's book, I have almost every issue of Golden Road, I read Scribe's book and Scully's and they all said that Jerry junkie days made things almost intolerable and I've known many folks who went down that road and they were always less productive than they could have been. Jerry had the weight of the world on his shoulders, he wanted to slow down but everytime he tried, he felt bad because so SO many depended upon the Dead to fund them (his words, not mine). I still stand by my statement that he held them back musically because according to all the articles, they said he did. I'm more of a Jerry fan than anyone in the band, and I saw shows religiously from '83 to the end, and gone were the days of 3 hour shows and setlists that surprised (for the most part it was pretty easy to call what songs were coming up next). Sure there were exceptions, but mostly it was by the book, imho. Didn't mean I didn't love them...and still do.

Alright alright
You are remarkably flame resistant !
I agree for the most part ....
I dont know that they only did shorter shows just for Jerry though ...
Times change people get older lose stamina ....no one does marathon concerts like that anymore ...Phil has had health issues too ....
And Jerry's guitar weighs like 13 lbs or something - ouch !
The "held them back" thing just takes it too far though - they were playing more shows ; making more money than ever ; huge catalog of tunes ; The Dylan tour ;what is it they didn't do that was so pressing ?
Seastones ?
:cool:
User avatar
Tennessee Jedi
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4223
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am
Location: Bucks Co.Pa

Re: advice for warren

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:17 am

strumminsix wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:GD originals 80's-90's:
Jerry-12: (LRR, SMR, *Liberty, Days, Foolish, Standing, Day Job, Touch, BMR, West L.A., Believe It, Built)

Bobby-9: (Bucket, Throwing, Esau, Victim, Picasso, Answers, Eternity, Corinna, Stranger)

did I forget any? (just counting Jer n Bob's)

*= music mostly done as RH wrote it iirc


Phil - Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues :lol:

Kidding aside I seem to recall Bobby adding a boatload of Dylan and Blues.
Also both he and Jerry mixed in a few of their sideband tunes, IIRC....

Ruben , Fever, CC Rider, Salt Lake City, Baby Blue, Kansas City, Woman Smarter, Revolution, I fought the Law, Desolation Row...


Cover songs is a lot harder to get a handle on ; I wasn't bringing those up, as I thought we were discussing 80s-90s writing contributions ( Ruben coming from 1977... "Hamstrung" wasn't written by Lesh but actually Mydland's prototype for "Little Light") but I guess they also count towards this rather generalized (and to me somewhat baffling) discussion about whether JG "held them back" while he was alive... I would agree he held them back pretty severely during approximately his final two smacked-out, arthritic, broken-spirited years, no more than that... could almost pinpoint it to the moment he limped in w/ that horrible hi-fi icepick sound at Eugene...
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
User avatar
tigerstrat
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: Portland,OR

Re: advice for warren

Postby strumminsix » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:26 am

tigerstrat wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:GD originals 80's-90's:
Jerry-12: (LRR, SMR, *Liberty, Days, Foolish, Standing, Day Job, Touch, BMR, West L.A., Believe It, Built)

Bobby-9: (Bucket, Throwing, Esau, Victim, Picasso, Answers, Eternity, Corinna, Stranger)

did I forget any? (just counting Jer n Bob's)

*= music mostly done as RH wrote it iirc


Phil - Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues :lol:

Kidding aside I seem to recall Bobby adding a boatload of Dylan and Blues.
Also both he and Jerry mixed in a few of their sideband tunes, IIRC....

Ruben , Fever, CC Rider, Salt Lake City, Baby Blue, Kansas City, Woman Smarter, Revolution, I fought the Law, Desolation Row...


Cover songs is a lot harder to get a handle on ; I wasn't bringing those up, as I thought we were discussing 80s-90s writing contributions ( Ruben coming from 1977... "Hamstrung" wasn't written by Lesh but actually Mydland's prototype for "Little Light") but I guess they also count towards this rather generalized (and to me somewhat baffling) discussion about whether JG "held them back" while he was alive... I would agree he held them back pretty severely during approximately his final two smacked-out, arthritic, broken-spirited years, no more than that... could almost pinpoint it to the moment he limped in w/ that horrible hi-fi icepick sound at Eugene...


Dude, Hamstrung was a joke!

I knew your intent was originals but it still takes an effort for a band to learn new covers too!

I stand by my earlier point that too often Jerry made the band follow him vs. the song's structure during his bad times.
User avatar
strumminsix
Senior Member
 
Posts: 6654
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Chicago

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Tour

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron