advice for warren

Re: advice for warren

Postby Dozin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:50 pm

well, let's hope he brings it. It's not like Dead Heads are critics or anything :)
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby China Cat » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:42 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs-pkoFLUQw

that is the vid of st. stephen from Change Rocks. Warrens tone is a little thin there, especially for his standards, but i think it is his attempt at getting his tone more like Jerry's. it honestly is kinda close and fits in quite nicely in my opinion. in all reality jerry did have a fairly thin tone so it only makes sense that one trying to sound like him would too.
You do not merely want to be considered the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones that do what you do. - Jerry Garcia
China Cat
Billy
Billy

Postby Dozin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm sorry but he relies so much on that whinny sustain
"If you get confused,...
Listen to the music play"
Dozin

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:57 pm

Well I took Warren on head to head just now, granted I wasn't plugged in but let's just say it's Warren 1, me zero.

At about 1:37 he busts some nasty country vibe in there.

Best thing about all of it is Bobby with the 335 (or what looks like) goin on. Now if we can just get Phil to go back to that semi hollow bass he used to rock we may be on to something.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby astroman99 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:22 am

tigerstrat wrote:I'm not going to DL a clip on dialup; Hope its OK if I opine based on the hundreds of hours of Warren I have heard.

Well from what I've read this morning more than one person agrees with me that his tone is thin..in all those hundreds of hours of music never a hint of this, must have been a bad 9 Volt battery...I wonder
:shock:
astroman99

Postby Chuckles » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:59 am

Saw 'em tonight at the Inaugural Ball, and Warren played a strat all night.

I don't know if it is a preview of the tour to come, but I will say that he sounded very thin throughout...

But, otoh, a great couple of mini-sets!
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby Emoto » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:51 am

ETA: nevermind, I missed what the venue was.
Last edited by Emoto on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby Shuxter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:48 am

In a recent interview Warren more or less said he's gonna follow the same advice he got from the Allmans when he 1st joined that band... Just do what ever you want. Following that advice he covered just enough of Duane's parts to keep the clone rock fans in the audience happy and then proceeded to do his own thing in a way that can only be described as awesome.
I would expect him to follow a similar path with the Dead.

BTW, I'm the new guy here and this is my first post.
Shuxter
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby CountryMile Cadillac » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:27 am

Chuckles wrote:Saw 'em tonight at the Inaugural Ball, and Warren played a strat all night.

I don't know if it is a preview of the tour to come, but I will say that he sounded very thin throughout...

But, otoh, a great couple of mini-sets!

That's great you were able to go, a bet there was alot of energy in the air!

What were the set lists? Inform inform...
"Think I'll come back here again,
Every now and then from time to time"

http://www.reverbnation.com/houndsandrabbits
CountryMile Cadillac
Jerry
Jerry

Postby amyjared » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:51 am

I know I'm going to get raked over the coals for this one, but here goes:

I am stoked Warren's playing with the boys and only hope he brings more of his kick-ass playing to raise the level for them, since I think they were coasting on their past. I LOVED Jerry, but the fact is I saw him as the one person holding the band back for the '80's-'90's. All the interviews I read said that it was Jerry who wouldn't work on new songs, break out the old classics, etc. He was still playing well on most nights, but it sure would have been nice to hear St. Stephen, The Eleven, Mountains of the Moon, Cosmic Charlie, etc. in other words, many of the songs they did AFTER he passed away in one incarnation or another.
As I get older, I am in need of faster and louder music to keep me pumped. (I know, I'm in the minority!) I love the Allman's for this and am thankful Warren is so versatile. I saw him open for the Dead doing a solo acoustic gig and it was great! Then he came out and played not only with them but with Branford joining in and he held his own. I am looking forward to Warren's fat sound and great voice. Sure wish they were playing more west coast shows!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:14 am

Let the Roasting begin !
amyjared wrote: I LOVED Jerry, but the fact is I saw him as the one person holding the band back for the '80's-'90's. All the interviews I read said that it was Jerry who wouldn't work on new songs, break out the old classics, etc. He was still playing well on most nights, but it sure would have been nice to hear St. Stephen, The Eleven,

Held them back ????????
Obviously he HELD them together in my book .... look where they are now .....the 1st tour in years ....Bob and Phil kinda seem at odds ....
No new tunes ?
Liberty; Way too go Home ; Corinnia; Victim; etc ....Plus all the Dylan and their extensive songbook ....
I doubt there are many if any bands that played as many shows as the boyz. If not playing your fav tune on any given night is " holding the band back " than I guess you are right. Jeez the guy played his ass off for decades ! Toured hard played hard and finally died ....
I thought that Jerry and the boyz went thru a amazing resurgence in the mid to late 80's.
Warren is cool in my book.
I'm down with him.
Peace Tom Dude
Tennessee Jedi

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:22 am

amyjared wrote:I know I'm going to get raked over the coals for this one, but here goes:

I am stoked Warren's playing with the boys and only hope he brings more of his kick-ass playing to raise the level for them, since I think they were coasting on their past. I LOVED Jerry, but the fact is I saw him as the one person holding the band back for the '80's-'90's. All the interviews I read said that it was Jerry who wouldn't work on new songs, break out the old classics, etc. He was still playing well on most nights, but it sure would have been nice to hear St. Stephen, The Eleven, Mountains of the Moon, Cosmic Charlie, etc. in other words, many of the songs they did AFTER he passed away in one incarnation or another.

There is alot of truth in that.

Regarding old songs, it was like pulling teeth with Jerry for Phil to get Unbroken chain live.

Listen to mixes with the "keys are too high" that is covering for Jerry.

Also you hear the boys all following Jerry's lead on songs they used to approach as a team:
- longer breaks between versus, some timing changes, different structure/arrangement, etc.

However he was the glue that held it together and was the magic for many....
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:31 am

I know he was all junked up
But he gave so much
It should be enough.
They did break out tunes ( as weak as it was sometimes )....
Unbroken Chain ?
Ever hear the practice tape where Phil berates Bob on the changes ?
Tough tune.....
Maybe the guys wanted to be free from Jerry's shadow I dont know ...
And really does anyone want to be the guy yelling " St. Stephen ! " all night ?
That might get to ya after awhile ....
Peace
Tom Dude
Tennessee Jedi

Postby amyjared » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:38 am

Point of clarification:

Liberty; Way too go Home ; Corinnia; Victim; etc

No new JERRY tunes. Sure the others still wrote songs and got the band to do them, but Jer wasn't writing much of anything.

OK, you may continue with the lambasting! :lol:
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby strumminsix » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:46 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:They did break out tunes ( as weak as it was sometimes )....
Unbroken Chain ?
Ever hear the practice tape where Phil berates Bob on the changes ?

Are you sure about the Bob berating?

Are you talking about the same one I am where Jerry keeps fucking it up and says something at the end like, "the problem is I just don't know the tune."

If so Phil is bashing everyone but I don't recall a Bobby beating....

Gotta look on Archive.
strumminsix

PreviousNext

Return to 2009 Tour