advice for warren

advice for warren

Postby astroman99 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:56 am

Hey ...very exciting news about The Dead touring :smile: ...if you could give Warren Haynes one piece or two of advice about his playing what would it be...
for me it would be Fatten up your tone, and stay away from the pentatonic blues scale.
Enjoy 8)
astroman99

Re: advice for warren

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:06 am

My advice would be to get a Strat or Tele and go with a THINNER CLUCKY Fender sound.
Warren is an amazing musician but his style just doesnt mesh with my view of the Dead.
Hey Warren will be fine but why no Mark Karan ?
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Pete B. » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:18 am

Only use the B-Bender on Box Of Rain.
Pete B.

Postby amyjared » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 am

One piece of advice? Don't listen to anyone's advice and do your own thing because you already know exactly how to fit in!

Oh, and "do that killer version of Lively Up Yourself with the boys!" :lol:
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:39 am

I would say to keep on doin' what got you here. I doubt Warren even wants to sound like Jerry. I would also say to drive the rhythm and tempo hard. One thing I have noticed with either the Phil and Friends or Ratdog stuff, they all get into that same lazy tempo, late-late 90's-00's jam band groove thing. Kind of gets monotonous. Push that shit Warren, keep the band on their toes like Jerry did for years.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby wisedyes » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:44 am

Wear black t-shirts - the Dead crowd likes that. The only thing I hope he does ( or really, doesn't do ) is overpower the rest of the band. His Soldano high gain tone is, to me, out of place with them- better to go for a cleaner, more Fenderish tone.

Outside of that, the boys picked him for who he is, not what he isn't, so do what got you here.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby caspersvapors » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:25 pm

warren haynes fatten up his tone? seriously?
caspersvapors

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Find how to be Warren and Warren with the Dead.

Not change but maybe exploit the WH things that are more jammy jamband than southern rockin' jamband.
strumminsix

Postby waldo041 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 pm

strumminsix wrote:Find how to be Warren and Warren with the Dead.

Not change but maybe exploit the WH things that are more jammy jamband than southern rockin' jamband.

well said! warren is great, and i know he will never be jerry! but the farther he takes it into warren (abb,gov't mule) space, the farther away from the core sound it should be. less can be more and if warren were listening, I'd request that he immersed himself into what the boy's already have, and join in. rather than have them go his way, maybe go there way. hope that makes sense. in my warren/dead experience, he made it unpleasant and more "warren" sounding then dead. great player, but imo, not the right man for the job.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby astroman99 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:51 pm

caspersvapors wrote:warren haynes fatten up his tone? seriously?

Well, he always has a lot of crunch/distortion but unlike Jerry or me it seems kind of tinny or thin,if he were to hit a note and hold it it wouldn't open around the edges. I don't know how else to describe it.
astroman99

Postby tigerstrat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:56 pm

Warren AGAIN?? Really. Huh.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby wisedyes » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Myself, I always thought that Jerry had one of the thinnest, weakest, just overall crappy distorted sounds I ever heard. BUT, in the greater context of the whole band, it usually sounded pretty good. Isolated on a good quality board, though, and Jerry's distorted tone, at least to me, left lots to be desired.

So how your individual sonic signature fits in with the greater entity is definitely a huge consideration. I certainly don't think of Warren's overdriven tone as thin or weak at all, but actually too strong for the Dead. They tend to play very clean. So, for me, leave the Soldanos at home and break out a Twin Reverb - you know you have one.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby astroman99 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:20 pm

I agree he would be better clean, with as they say lots of headroom.
astroman99

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:26 pm

wisedyes wrote:Myself, I always thought that Jerry had one of the thinnest, weakest, just overall crappy distorted sounds I ever heard. BUT, in the greater context of the whole band, it usually sounded pretty good. Isolated on a good quality board, though, and Jerry's distorted tone, at least to me, left lots to be desired.

:shock:
:roll:
:x
Gotta say I love Jerry's tones -all of 'em !
Warren should play clean more - that would fit the mold a bit better.
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby krzykat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:29 pm

I do think he should use the SG instead of the les paul
krzykat

Next

Return to 2009 Tour