"Cats Down Under..." Vids vs Studio - Tabs, take-1:

Re: "Cats Down Under..." Vids vs Studio - Tabs, take-1:

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:11 am

Oops.. probably is A7. I don't think John Kahn plays either 3rd.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:52 am

Pete B. wrote:
Here's a group doing a nice job of the Studio Version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdtF1kqOfXc
Tennessee Jedi

Postby NotStStephen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Hey now!

Noobie here to the forum but I've been looking at Mr. Bicks tabs for years. Thank you for all your good work. I'm a 46 year old guy from Peoria Illinois thats been playin for 30 of those years. I also taught guitar and bass for 10 years around here.

This is one of my favorite songs ever and I just recently learned it after picking up the JG songbook. Also watched a couple YouTube lessons on it.

Anyway...good stuff here, lots of differences between studio and live of course and wouldn't want it any other way. If I could I'd like to add to the discussion here.

According to the book all the Em chords in the first post should be C chords but we're talkin a difference of one note here as those chords share 2 out of 3 notes so it's a very minor point.

Chord for the chorus are

C7 F/C Am G
Cats down under the stars

I like pete Bs version of the bridge 'satin blouse' bit, that sound more exact than the book version. Same chords but in first pos. in the book.
By the way the book is nice but there is a printing error in mine and I guess from lookin the Amazon reviews it's been there forever. about 10 pages repeat in place of the ones that should be there but there is a discography and a good history of the JGB in there too with lots o good pics. There is some tab in it like the other part of the cats main riff thats behind the lower single note stuff and a few other things overall a nice pickup.
Aint no time to hate....
NotStStephen
bruce
bruce

Postby mttourpro » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:55 am

So once again, a debate went on about a song we've been playing for 20 years....all about the correct chords in cats.
thought I'd share this as it might add to the discussion and perhaps clarify a couple things...or not.

My bass player emailed Jaff Mattson about this as such......

Hi Jeff
We are having big discussion on this, from Cats bridge, almost seems like the studio and some live version differ.

How do you play this?
Hope all is well,thanks

this in from Jdarks

Bridge

|Dm Dm7

Dm Dm7

|F-5 / B /| F-5 = x2323x

|Dm Dm7

Dm Dm7

|F-5 / B /|

Satin blouse unbuttoning.

Satin blouse unbuttoning.

TIme is a stripper

|A / F C G|A/F C G Eb Bb F

this is from Rukind

Dm C Dm C Bm7 Bb
Sa- tin blouse unbuttoning,
Dm C Dm C Bm7 Bb
Sa- tin blouse unbuttoning,
A F C G
Time is a stripper doin' it just for you.
A C G F G Bb C
Time is a stripper doin' it just for you. Just for you

D Bb F C (4X)
Just For You
Ab Eb Bb F C G

here's his reply

They are both wrong! However there is a difference between the Keith & Donna era live (and studio version) and the later Melvin era versions to the point where the transition is different and the jam itself is a different key. Being an old guy, I'm partial the K&D era and that is the version DSO does. I have attached an old chart I had. The satin blouse bit is basically all Dm with a D-C-D-C-B-Bb bass line under it which translates to Dm-Dm/C-Dm-Dm/C-Bm7b5-Bbma7

Time is a stripper

/ A / A FCG / A / A CFG /GDC JAM [: D7 / D7 / D7 / D7 BbFC:] / AbEbBb/ FC/
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Previous

Return to Cats Under The Stars