Phish

Postby shakedown_04092 » Thu May 24, 2007 7:28 pm

BlobWeird wrote:
Erictw83 wrote:Early recordings he's on point but I have heard some later (post 2002) recordings where he absolutely butchers songs, for example like the arpeggiated intro to YEM.


How is the intro to You Enjoy Myself butchered? That is an awesome intro and is played very fluent.


I think what he's saying is that there were times where Trey had butchered the intro to YEM (as well as butchered other songs, see the Coventry shows...) post-2002, as in Trey had more bad shows after 2002 than before. The intro to YEM is awesome, though.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

Image
shakedown_04092
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 11:51 am
Location: Portland, ME

Postby Erictw83 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:55 am

Agreed, the YEM intro is an amazing technical piece of music, one of my favorite...when played fluently...but too often in post 2002 shows that I've heard, Trey slops thru such intricate passages. I was using YEM as an example since I've heard him butcher that intro in particular quite badly in recordings.
Erictw83
Brent
Brent
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby smile_smile_smile » Fri May 25, 2007 7:21 am

i just dont't get how people will argue phish as a totally different band then the dead, and say that phil and trey was cool....yeah phil's last summer tour was sweet, when trey wasn't out there, but mike was great when he played banjo on cumberland blues(i'll admit that)...however trey's style is totally different, not bad, trey is fuckin' sick, but just not playin dead tunes....please listen to vegoose and tell me it doesnt blow honestly, (not just cause it's trey its good)...
golden rule: treat other people alright, other people will usually treat you cool.
smile_smile_smile
Mickey
Mickey
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Jersey

Postby shakedown_04092 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:36 am

smile_smile_smile wrote:i just dont't get how people will argue phish as a totally different band then the dead, and say that phil and trey was cool....yeah phil's last summer tour was sweet, when trey wasn't out there, but mike was great when he played banjo on cumberland blues(i'll admit that)...however trey's style is totally different, not bad, trey is fuckin' sick, but just not playin dead tunes....please listen to vegoose and tell me it doesnt blow honestly, (not just cause it's trey its good)...


Dude, I was there at both shows, and it didn't blow....are you serious? The first night (the late night show) was off the fucking charts! Highlights were the Cryptical, Dark Star, Mountains of the Moon > 46 Days > Mountains of the Moon, and the Here Comes Sunshine encore was ill. Yeah, he 'effed up the Row Jimmy the 2nd night, but everything else was great. Listen to him on Slipknot for pete's sake. I especially like Trey w/ Phil, because after hearing 30+ years of Dead tunes (on tapes, cd's, and live shows), it's nice to get a different take on them. And it's not like the Dead songs Trey plays are different or anything, he just adds a different tone & flavor to them, which I find not only good, but refreshing. And he plays them very well. Better than anybody else I've heard, sans maybe Warren Haynes.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

Image
shakedown_04092
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 11:51 am
Location: Portland, ME

Postby phreaker » Fri May 25, 2007 9:34 am

I guess I'm the only person here who actually likes Phish more than just a little. You need to listen to the jams if nothing else.

try "Taste" if you havent yet.

I don't see how anyone couldnt like this music.
phreaker
Senior Member
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: Lawrence, Ks

Postby smile_smile_smile » Fri May 25, 2007 10:04 am

thanks for actual explaining your point...i hate when people just get mad and become disagreeable, instead of disagreeing...thats why i love music its so personal and its part of everyone for special reasons...i think i'm just upset we're talking about phish on a dead message board....please don't get me wrong either i like phish, very talented(except lyrics)...i just can't feel it with trey and phil....you're prob right if i was there it prob be another story
golden rule: treat other people alright, other people will usually treat you cool.
smile_smile_smile
Mickey
Mickey
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Jersey

Postby AugustWest » Fri May 25, 2007 10:46 am

Worst show experience I've ever been too was a phish show. However I still like their music. I had my wallet, food, and beer stolen from me at gun point by 3 "phish head" kids in 2003 after a show in raliegh, nc. I can not stand the scene at phish shows. Had a kid almost die in front of me from all the molly he had ingested. He was carried away by staff security and I still don't know if he is alive. I don't remember much of the music as you can imagine. I do enjoy listening to phish in spite of my only show experience with them was awful. I enjoy their studio work more than their live performances which i know is against everything sacred. Their vocals are just soooo bad live it is hard for me to get down. Their jams are great live and most of the songs I like from them are jam oriented like yem, divided sky, ect. I listen to junta, picture of nectar and lawn boy pretty regularly but I can't say that they are ever in the top of my playlists.
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:15 pm

Postby squire758 » Fri May 25, 2007 1:05 pm

in response to that i would have to say their live shit is soooo much better than studio but i can understand what you mean about the vocals, the live cuts are not the best of quality, the EQ in my truck is specially for live phish and if you put anything else in its all treble and ear peircing, but like trey ssaid "we're a live act, we play live and thats what we do, we also make albums" but i have 2 huge cd books, one full of live phish, one full of live dead. i listen to them both about the same amount, i love both bands but they both have things about them i super duper love and cant get enough of. i see this discussion kinda becoming a Phish vs. Dead kinda thing and id hate to see that (as anyone would) but thats the thing about music is that its open to everyones interpretation as was said before. but as a guitar player i dont think i would be close to where im at if i didnt learn all those phish songs and dead songs so i find them both extremely valuable. i think this is a very valuable discussion because i can relate to everyones points and counterpoints on this matter but ill always love phish just the same
squire758
Jester
Jester
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:15 am

Postby shakedown_04092 » Fri May 25, 2007 1:31 pm

AugustWest wrote:Worst show experience I've ever been too was a phish show. However I still like their music. I had my wallet, food, and beer stolen from me at gun point by 3 "phish head" kids in 2003 after a show in raliegh, nc.


That sucks dude. Obviously those kids aren't the rule, they're more the exception, but it happened more frequently post-2000, which is one reason I'm glad they shut it down. Buddy of mine was trading a ticket for nugs in Albany 9/9/00 and got jumped, beat up pretty good. Kids took ticket, nugs, and his money. But gun point, that's just wack. Fucking kids, man. I wish someone had seen it happen to you and tried to do something. Were you alone? In a random area? I assume it was after the show got out? That's when most of the shit I've heard about has gone down. Sucks. Dispicable.


squire758 wrote:i love both bands but they both have things about them i super duper love and cant get enough of.............but as a guitar player i dont think i would be close to where im at if i didnt learn all those phish songs and dead songs so i find them both extremely valuable. i think this is a very valuable discussion because i can relate to everyones points and counterpoints on this matter but ill always love phish just the same


Well put, same here.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

Image
shakedown_04092
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1225
Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 11:51 am
Location: Portland, ME

Postby gratephulphish123 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:02 pm

i never got to see phish and have only been to one ratdog concert so far :D but i listen to tons of tapes and i can really say thats terrible... frat boys ruin everyones music :mad:
User avatar
gratephulphish123
Senior Member
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Upstate New York

Postby ker1227 » Fri May 25, 2007 9:35 pm

gratephulphish123 wrote:frat boys ruin everyones music :mad:


couldnt have said it better
ker1227
Billy
Billy
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:37 am

Postby tmbgnicu » Sat May 26, 2007 6:39 am

You know, I am 28 years old. I never got the chance to see the Dead, although I had planned to go to see a show on the fall 95 tour. So, instead I turned my attention to Phish. Lyrically, it is no surprise that Phish doesn't matter up to the Dead. Lately, I have been really into the Dead. I have listened to almost nothing but the Dead exclusively for almost a year. Truthfully, a lot of what you guys are saying I totally understand. However, I have heard a lot of, shall we say, meandering Dead jams. When you take risks on stage, meandering jams happen. I personally love the long jams. I've listened to the 11-29-97 Runaway Jim(which is almost an hour long). I've listened to all of the Tweezers that most Phishheads hate multiple times, because I love to listen to Phish create onstage. I suppose that is why I listen to Playin's and Dark Star's from the late60s/early to mid 70s with the same gusto.
tmbgnicu
welcome
welcome
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 6:26 am

Postby phpbb » Sat May 26, 2007 6:53 am

FYI -

As I was researching a request, I realized that I forgot to do something when creating the forum. When the forum was created there was a setting in the code that was supposed to filter these from ever getting on the frontpage.

If you like, you'll still be able to find them with all the standard tools available.
User avatar
phpbb
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 9:37 pm

Postby gratephulphish123 » Sat May 26, 2007 7:03 am

tmb thats cool, talking about long jams which long jam is your favorite, i'm still trying to decide between it fest ghost and 12 24 94 bowie
User avatar
gratephulphish123
Senior Member
 
Posts: 620
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Upstate New York

Postby weirimpressed » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:23 am

I love phish, but not really any of the post-hiatus stuff or materials from 2000's. I kinda feel like they peaked too early, and the scene grew out of control for even the musicians to handle. My favorite songs are the jammier and bluesier songs like funky bitch, possum, divided sky, gumbo, curtain..
User avatar
weirimpressed
Senior Member
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:32 pm
Location: Athens, GA

PreviousNext

Return to Phish

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest