helllo from chitown

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

Re: helllo from chitown

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:28 am

Regardless of league standings, Wrigley > Old Comiskey > New Comiskey.

Cubby Bear at bottom of the pic was site of my first Phish experience in '91, plus Merl Saunders/Kingfish/T.C., Zero, P-Funk, Jorma Kaukonen & David Bromberg (1986 when I was underage), Trip Shakespeare, and other amazing shows. Gigged there with Wingnut couple of times, circa '97.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:14 am

tigerstrat wrote:Regardless of league standings, Wrigley > Old Comiskey > New Comiskey.

Cubby Bear at bottom of the pic was site of my first Phish experience in '91, plus Merl Saunders/Kingfish/T.C., Zero, P-Funk, Jorma Kaukonen & David Bromberg (1986 when I was underage), Trip Shakespeare, and other amazing shows. Gigged there with Wingnut couple of times, circa '97.

Really, Tom, of all the places no mention of Wrigleyside Tap?
strumminsix

Postby tcsned » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:14 pm

lol - I didn't know that Chicago had another baseball team besides the Cubs ;)

I saw my Os whoop up on the Sox at old Comisky in I think '89 (might have been their only win that season). Have not been to the new park. It was a pretty cool park - didn't have the "cathedral" feeling that Wrigley or Fenway has IMHO.

1060 West Addison, wasn't that Jake and Elwood's address?
tcsned

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:11 pm

strumminsix wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Regardless of league standings, Wrigley > Old Comiskey > New Comiskey.

Really, Tom, of all the places no mention of Wrigleyside Tap?

Wrigley Side is about a block down Clark (to the right-bottom of frame), yes, had a few epic double bills there of Wingnut & Ralph's Kind (incl. the guitarist & keyboardist who went on to form Phix in CO). A block up Clark (to the left) is Cabaret Metro, been to too many absolutely insane rock shows there to count... Before my first Metro show in 1985, I stood in line right behind Black Flag's bassist Kira at that McDonald's at bottom left. 1 more block up Clark is the Gingerman, one of my favorite pool bars.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby strumminsix » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:47 am

*was* a block down. By far my most favorite venue of the 90s.
strumminsix

Postby Stone » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:15 am

cumberlandmine wrote:Hello good people, my name is Nick. I'm 24 and living near Wrigley Field in Chicago. Have checked out this forum quite a few times and figured it was high time to register. Lately been digging the think tank; a sorry attempt at analyzing crazy fingers led me there, and it made me realize I've been slackin on the theory.

Anyway, guitar wise here's the low down:
played about 7 years, and put in quite a few hours during that time.
Like to play a lot of different stuff rock-funk based originals, classic rock, Phish and current jambands, blues, and ehhh.. oh yeah the DEAD
Setup=
PRS SE semi-hollow or a Gibson SG > Behringer COmpressor, Dunlop WAh, Tube Screamer, Boss OD/Dist, Q Tron, Ibanez Chorus, Boss DigDelay > Shitty Crate Combo (which has a phaser switch i use sometimes)

Now that you heard my boring shit here.. most of all .. Would like to find like-minded musicians in Chicago!! I am not involved in much at the moment and would like to change that.

rock on and fare theee well

Welcome, Im not from chicago but next door in NW Indiana. We play in chicago a few times a month and around the state line area quite a bit. If ya ever want to jam or check out my band ( Stealin The Farm) your more then welcome.
Stone
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby cumberlandmine » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Despite the proximity to Wrigley, I am with the sox fans here. I am a traitor for the good times and good music Wrigleyville has to offer. Too bad the sox look to be done.. maybe the Bears can pilfer a few more games on dubious calls.
BTW, will try to check out stealin the farm next time your around, listenin now and it sounds good.
cumberlandmine
rukind?
rukind?

Previous

Return to Introductions