I must be a rarity- UK fan.

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

I must be a rarity- UK fan.

Postby ShadyWilbury » Sun May 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Hello, all.

Currently resident in the UK, I came to the music of the Grateful Dead a few years ago- think 'Friend of the Devil' was my first track, but lately I've been trying to learn 'Ripple' on guitar. Listening to one of Jerry's solo live recordings, it sounds as though he plays the melody slightly faster than usual? Anyway, I also love their covers of 'When I Paint My Masterpiece', and Jerry's solo 'Tangled Up in Blue'.

Hope to share with you more as time goes on,

Shady
ShadyWilbury
welcome
welcome

Re: I must be a rarity- UK fan.

Postby willmusic » Sun May 30, 2010 4:31 pm

Greetings! We've wanted to go and play across the pond for some time. Any Dead-friendly venues or festivals that you can think of?
willmusic
wolf
wolf

Postby ShadyWilbury » Mon May 31, 2010 12:01 am

Don't know of any, mate, but will look out for you.

Doesn't help that I'm in one of the smaller counties.
ShadyWilbury
welcome
welcome

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Mon May 31, 2010 6:00 am

Welcome, Shady! Thanks for bringing the music across the water! :cool:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby JonnyBoy » Mon May 31, 2010 9:28 am

Welcome! The Grateful Dead is a prolific band, you will be enjoy their music until the day you die without a lack for new content or music to discover. I'm not quite sure the places the Dead visited in England in 1972 were "dead friendly" either, considering most people had no idea who they were in Europe at the time. I am sure the people were friendly though.
http://otislotus.net/ Finally finished our new site...
JonnyBoy

Postby tcsned » Mon May 31, 2010 12:47 pm

Welcome to the group! I hope all is well across the pond. I grew up in Germany (72-80).
tcsned

Postby amyjared » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:42 am

Welcome to the show! I saw the Dead in England back in '89 or '90. Memory is a little hazy, but at the time, I ran into a guy I knew in London and he introduced me to a friend of his who was a deadhead and was in a cover band, Cosmic Charlie. I used to trade tapes with him. Lost track of him over time, but he was way cool. I spent about a month in England, had a great time!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby Good Times » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:59 am

Welcome :smile: I lived in West London for a year between 1995 and 1996. I met a lot of great people and musicians, through friends and friends of friends, but nobody that was into the Dead. I had a lot of tapes with me at the time and freely lent them out but never got anyone "hooked." That year was one of the best times of my life even though it wasn't filled with any fellow heads :D
I wish I was a headlight, on a North bound train
I'd shine my light through cool Colorado rain
Good Times
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby jeffm725 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:01 am

UK fan huh? --- I have always had a distaste for the Kentucky Wildcats. Especially now that they have that scumbag John Calipari as head coach. He is a slimy,dirty squid. He will cheat until he is in the grave and will probably find a way to cheat from beyond the grave. I hate that bastard.

whats that? UK = United Kingdom? This isnt the ESPN board? AH CRAP............nevermind......... :?
.......................................................have you heard the one about the yellow dog?
jeffm725

Postby tcsned » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:09 pm

jeffm725 wrote:UK fan huh? --- I have always had a distaste for the Kentucky Wildcats. Especially now that they have that scumbag John Calipari as head coach. He is a slimy,dirty squid. He will cheat until he is in the grave and will probably find a way to cheat from beyond the grave. I hate that bastard.

whats that? UK = United Kingdom? This isnt the ESPN board? AH CRAP............nevermind......... :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
tcsned

Postby Harvestwind » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:09 pm

Yes I'm sure many Dead fans in the UK have similar concerns about the Kentucky Wildcats. As an Australian Deadhead I would not even consider attending one of their games.
Harvestwind
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby G'Dad » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:50 am

Hi Shady,

a very rare beast indeed!!

I caught the shows at the Rainbow theater in '81 and have never been the same since!!

I'm in Nottinghamshire how about you?

G'dad
G'Dad
Keith
Keith

Return to Introductions