hi from a tugboat

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

hi from a tugboat

Postby javalina » Tue May 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Just found this website today, my brother sent me a link. Looking forward to using this great resource a lot. I work on a tug in NY harbor, so I have a used Fender squire and no amp. I can play in my bunkroom when I get off watch, and if I play real hard I can just about hear it over the engines.

I used to play bass in blues bands out of Chicago years ago, made a good living and toured around a lot. Haven't played music in like 15 years, but I just started playing six string recently to have something to keep me from losing my mind on this f..king boat. So far it seems to be working.

I always loved the Dead, and reading these posts reminds me why I always loved the Deadhead s too.
javalina
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Re: hi from a tugboat

Postby strumminsix » Tue May 18, 2010 1:08 pm

Welcome! Fellow Chicagoan here!
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue May 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Yo !
Welcome !
You got pics of the boat ?
:D
Tennessee Jedi

Postby Grateful Dad » Tue May 18, 2010 7:43 pm

Welcome! This is a great site, you'll enjoy it.
Dave (aka Grateful Dad)
:wink:
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby Grateful Dad » Tue May 18, 2010 7:46 pm

javalina wrote:Just found this website today, my brother sent me a link. Looking forward to using this great resource a lot. I work on a tug in NY harbor, so I have a used Fender squire and no amp. I can play in my bunkroom when I get off watch, and if I play real hard I can just about hear it over the engines.

I used to play bass in blues bands out of Chicago years ago, made a good living and toured around a lot. Haven't played music in like 15 years, but I just started playing six string recently to have something to keep me from losing my mind on this f..king boat. So far it seems to be working.

I always loved the Dead, and reading these posts reminds me why I always loved the Deadhead s too.

Hey, just curious, what was your bass and rig when you were playing the blues?
:?:
Grateful Dad
Phil
Phil

Postby javalina » Tue May 18, 2010 9:47 pm

When I lived in Chicago I mostly played a P-bass copy that was really nothing special. I put a good bridge on it and some DiMarzio pickups with a J-bass style pickup by the bridge. It had a nice warm sound, good for blues. I later changed out the pickups for some EMGs, which turned out to be not as good but louder. For an amp I had an old Peavy with a 15" speaker and for a while an extra cab with another 15. The only time that amp sounded really good was when a friend loaned me his Furman pre amp. The bass finally got stolen (borrowed and not returned) and I got the bass I have now which is an Ibanez with active eq.
javalina
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby javalina » Tue May 18, 2010 10:27 pm

I'll post a picture of this tugboat when I get home; I can't figure out how to do it from this phone.
javalina
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tcsned » Wed May 19, 2010 6:03 am

Welcome Chicago! It's a great music town and a great baseball town.

Do you by chance know Steve Hunt or Bob Margolin? Steve plays bass in my Dead band but was active in the blues scene when you were and did some session work up there for Aligator (Billy Boy Arnold) and House of Blues (Junior Wells).
tcsned

Postby Good Times » Wed May 19, 2010 6:25 am

Welcome, mate :smile:
I wish I was a headlight, on a North bound train
I'd shine my light through cool Colorado rain
Good Times
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Wed May 19, 2010 7:09 am

Hi from land! :lol: Welcome!
Rusty the Scoob

Postby javalina » Wed May 19, 2010 9:29 am

Oh yeah, I remember those names; steady rollin Bob Margolin. That was a long time ago. I used to play with Junior's drummer Willie Hayes (best drummer I ever played with) when we would play with Lefty Dizz. Lefty had a regular bass player that was much better than me, I was like the second string guy. I used to joke that I was among the best players in Chicago, because I was always among them... I just never was one of the best players in Chicago.
javalina
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tcsned » Wed May 19, 2010 10:36 am

javalina wrote:Oh yeah, I remember those names; steady rollin Bob Margolin. That was a long time ago. I used to play with Junior's drummer Willie Hayes (best drummer I ever played with) when we would play with Lefty Dizz. Lefty had a regular bass player that was much better than me, I was like the second string guy. I used to joke that I was among the best players in Chicago, because I was always among them... I just never was one of the best players in Chicago.

:lol: :lol:

Small world! Bob lived here in Blacksburg for a few years and Steve or Slash as he is known came here with him. Bob is now in North Carolina. He comes through the area a few times a year.
tcsned

Postby jdsmodulus » Wed May 19, 2010 10:55 am

Hello Tug! Im just north of the city in WI!! Welcome.
jdsmodulus

Postby javalina » Wed May 19, 2010 11:07 am

Oops! I'm a thousand miles to the west in Jackson Maine. I guess I should have said that before. I'm getting ready to move to Brattleboro VT by the end of the summer, where I expect to find some music playing.
javalina
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby javalina » Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 am

Damn, I meant east. And I used to teach navigation. I bet my old students are going the wrong way round the world, cursing me.
javalina
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Next

Return to Introductions