Hello From Blacksburg, VA!!

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

Re: Hello From Blacksburg, VA!!

Postby Billbbill » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:11 pm

wisedyes wrote:BTW, for Billbill, it's easy to love a winner. Although sadly the only times the Yard has been filled over the last few years is when the Yankees or Sawks fans take it over during the games against them.

Well - let's see. I became a yanks fan about '70 - they were pretty bad then - until they won the pennant in '76. They were pretty lousy again from about '81 or '82 to about '94. I'm a Rangers fan - other than '94 pretty dry in the success realm - Notre Dame football and basketball - and I'm a Jets fan. 'nuff said.
Billbbill

Postby ugly rumor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:17 am

Gee, Tom, it breaks my heart that you didn't mention me playing bass with you, although admittedly I was farblunjet drunk at the time, at the Coffee Pot. I lost my expensive tuner that night. I am living in Colorado now. Good see you, Welcome to this site, and remember that Love is not an emotion, it is good sense (Ken Kesey). Hope all is well, and Peace!!

Rick
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tcsned » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:09 pm

ugly rumor wrote:Gee, Tom, it breaks my heart that you didn't mention me playing bass with you, although admittedly I was farblunjet drunk at the time, at the Coffee Pot. I lost my expensive tuner that night. I am living in Colorado now. Good see you, Welcome to this site, and remember that Love is not an emotion, it is good sense (Ken Kesey). Hope all is well, and Peace!!

Rick

Rick! good to hear from you. I am remiss in your omission - I vaguely remember the lost tuner.
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Billbbill wrote:
wisedyes wrote:BTW, for Billbill, it's easy to love a winner. Although sadly the only times the Yard has been filled over the last few years is when the Yankees or Sawks fans take it over during the games against them.

Well - let's see. I became a yanks fan about '70 - they were pretty bad then - until they won the pennant in '76. They were pretty lousy again from about '81 or '82 to about '94. I'm a Rangers fan - other than '94 pretty dry in the success realm - Notre Dame football and basketball - and I'm a Jets fan. 'nuff said.

I hear you about the Yard being full only when the Sox or Yanks are in town. I usually only drive up for O's/Sox games as it gives the wife something to make the 6 hour drive for other than a crabcake sandwich and I am totally outnumbered by red and blue. Though the O's are looking as good right now as they have in years - lots of young talent - Markakis, Jones, Wieters, Pie, and the rest. Though competing with the $200 million a year club will still be tough. With a little luck and some more pitching . . .

Billbbill - your Jets looked good yesterday. Are you in NYC? Have you been to the new stadium? If so, what do you think? Baseball stadiums are magical places for me - I loved all the old ballparks and have been torn about all of these new ones. I love Camden Yards, though there were a lot of good memories and ghosts in Memorial Stadium. I've been to Jacob's Field, the Reds', Pirates', Phillies', Braves', and the National's parks and while they are quirky and cool they do not have the "cathedral" feeling of the old parks. Camden comes as close as any. Just wondering how the new Yankees' park measures up. Went to Fenway this year - now that is a place to see a ball game (of course the Os got their asses whipped).
tcsned

Postby Billbbill » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:59 pm

tcsned wrote:
Billbbill wrote:

I hear you about the Yard being full only when the Sox or Yanks are in town. I usually only drive up for O's/Sox games as it gives the wife something to make the 6 hour drive for other than a crabcake sandwich and I am totally outnumbered by red and blue. Though the O's are looking as good right now as they have in years - lots of young talent - Markakis, Jones, Wieters, Pie, and the rest. Though competing with the $200 million a year club will still be tough. With a little luck and some more pitching . . .

Billbbill - your Jets looked good yesterday. Are you in NYC? Have you been to the new stadium? If so, what do you think? Baseball stadiums are magical places for me - I loved all the old ballparks and have been torn about all of these new ones. I love Camden Yards, though there were a lot of good memories and ghosts in Memorial Stadium. I've been to Jacob's Field, the Reds', Pirates', Phillies', Braves', and the National's parks and while they are quirky and cool they do not have the "cathedral" feeling of the old parks. Camden comes as close as any. Just wondering how the new Yankees' park measures up. Went to Fenway this year - now that is a place to see a ball game (of course the Os got their asses whipped).

Yea the jets quieted a bunch of folk yesterday - and right now it's looking like they'll be in San Diego next sunday as the Pats appear to be on their way to losing to the ravens. That'll be tough, but w/ their D and running game as long as the kid at qb doesn't revert to when he seemed to think he had to do it all himself and was a turnover machine, they should at least be in it.

Amazingly enough (and much to the dismay of my wife) we didn't make it to the new stadium last year and we're in southern westchester about 20 or 30 minutes from the bronx - so we sorta have no excuse. Word is it's very nice.

It's funny, the wife and I had talked about doing some bball road trips as vacations to check out some stadiums etc. but we've never gotten that off the ground.
Billbbill

Postby Bobbyg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Hello Tom,

I am from Maryland and saw your band twice, both times at a reunion gig of some type in the Outer Banks, maybe 3 o4 years ago. Just kind of stumbled in and found you. Your band was really excellent and I really enjoyed it. I remember a girl (Wendy) was kind of playing some Bobby parts and it was very cool. Welcome to the site!
Bobbyg
Keith
Keith

Postby tcsned » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:40 pm

Bobbyg wrote:Hello Tom,

I am from Maryland and saw your band twice, both times at a reunion gig of some type in the Outer Banks, maybe 3 o4 years ago. Just kind of stumbled in and found you. Your band was really excellent and I really enjoyed it. I remember a girl (Wendy) was kind of playing some Bobby parts and it was very cool. Welcome to the site!

thanks Bobbyg! I love that club (the Port O'Call) in the OBX - just confirmed our dates for this year. Stumble back anytime!!
tcsned

Postby Highballin' » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:30 pm

Tcsned-
Small world Dave! What period of history did you study? I did most of my work in the age of discovery but would up writing my master's thesis on a coal miner rebellion in WVA in 1921.

Possibly the Bluegrass Influence? :cool:
<Know You Rider playing in background-Tuna Version> Peace Bro!
"...and when your fingers find her she drowns you in her body, carving deep blue ripples in the tissues of your mind..."
Highballin'
Jester
Jester

Postby glencl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:25 pm

welcome dude..must be great jammin in the blue ridge!!!
glencl
Keith
Keith

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Tom,

Welcome. I was in Blacksburg a couple times probably close to 23 years ago. I think the place was called the Texas Tavern or something, and they were apparently famous for two things, westerns (cheeseburger with onions and a fried egg) and great bowls of chili. Just awesome. There was a lady working there who would shout to the back grill after you ordered.

"Western all the way bowl all the way!"

A: What is the proper name of said establishment?

B: Is it still there?
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby tcsned » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Well, there's a Texas Tavern (or Texas Inn - I've heard them called both) in both Lynchburg and Roanoke - home of the cheesey western, and of course the great chili and great chili dogs. Though, as far as I know there's never been one in B-burg. I prefer the Lynchburg shop - they use the smoked hot dogs. They've got a Facebook fan page.

I have been here for going on 25 years so I was probably here when you were :) - was Mr. Fooz around (the bar where I met all the local Deadheads)? South Main Cafe was the bar I played a Wednesday night gig for 13 or 14 years (also did shows with Merle Saunders, Rick Danko, Hot Tuna, & New Riders there) - did you happen by there? I love this town and the surrounding mountains. Could have picked a better place to land. Makes we happy I lied to my folks and told them I didn't get accepted to UVA (this has certainly working out football-wise).
tcsned

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:35 am

Lynchburg, yes, that was the place. My pseudo-big brother grew up in Lynchburg and went to Va Tech. He took me down there when I was about 14 for a weekend. It must have been in the Lynchburg leg of the trip.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby tcsned » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:16 am

Crazy 9.5 Fingers wrote:Lynchburg, yes, that was the place. My pseudo-big brother grew up in Lynchburg and went to Va Tech. He took me down there when I was about 14 for a weekend. It must have been in the Lynchburg leg of the trip.

My wife's from Lynchburg, we go to the Texas Tavern every time we're in town. I don't think they've raised their prices in 25 years too.
tcsned

Postby onlinejack » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:40 am

fwiw, The Robert Cray Strat is a HardTail model.
imho, He has that Strat-o-quack all day long.
No loss of Strat tone there, again, imho.

webinars
onlinejack
rukind?
rukind?

Previous

Return to Introductions