Hello From Blacksburg, VA!!

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

Hello From Blacksburg, VA!!

Postby tcsned » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi all,
I'm not really new to RU Kind but just now getting more involved. My name is Tom Snediker, I live in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I play guitar in a Dead cover band called The Kind - we have been playing since my 20th birthday party in 1986, which makes me . . . old. I play guitar, lap steel, and a little banjo. I also play in a bluegrass band called Crossties since 1993 or so and a gypsy jazz band called Scott Fore and His Hillbilly Hotclub - Scott is an amazing player and has won the Winfield National Flatpicking Championship as well as a ton of other bluegrass guitar competitions (5 wins at the Galax Fiddler's Convention). I was born in Frankfurt, Germany while my dad was stationed there - I lived there for most of my childhood (up until high school). My dad was a spy.

I have been blessed to get to play with some awesome musicians. My bass player, Steve "Slash" Hunt worked with blues legend and Muddy Waters side man, Bob Margolin for 10+ years (standing next to Muddy in the Band's Last Waltz), recorded Junior Wells last song (Rolling Stones' Satisfaction for "Paint it Blue" a stones tribute album), toured with Bobby "Blue" Bland of "Turn on Your Lovelight" fame, as well as the Rev. Billy C. Wirtz - an amazing piano player and totally hilarious. I have jammed with Byron House, bass player for Sam Bush, Emmylou Harris, Loretta Lynn, The Dixie Chicks, among others. We also had Robin Sylvester, of Rat Dog, sit in a couple of gigs with us a few years back. We've been privileged to open for Rick Danko, Merle Saunders, Hot Tuna, New Riders, and Jefferson Starship (had a hilarious conversation with Paul Kantner about parenting).

I have been in Blacksburg since 1984 when I started at VA Tech (GO HOKIES!!). I love this area and there is no place I would rather live in the entire world. My college career had many twists and turns (including flunking out in 1987 thanks to the Grateful Dead and playing in my band - pulled an amazing .4 QCA). Eventually got a BA in History and then a Master's Degree in the same. I got a second MA in Instructional Design and all but a dissertation away from my PhD. I love learning and have missed being out of school for the last 2 years. I think I am near a record for credit hours at one school (close to 350).

I managed a local music store and taught guitar for 10 years or so while in school. I now do instructional design work for a small leadership development company. Kind of ironic that I am helping to train the next generation of business leaders.
I met my wife doing a theater production of "Hair" a guy I worked with's girlfriend was in the play and they had to fire their pit 'cause the sucked. We came in two weeks before show time. Our first rehearsal with the actors was the first dress rehearsal. The girls were preparing for the nude scene and when I got to the stage, a girl walked up to me with a long trench coat on, opened it and asked me "what do you think?" I said, I think I'm gonna like theater. I've done 5 musical productions with that theater group (Hair, Jesus Christ Superstar, Once Upon a Mattress, Stage Fright, and Rocky Horror Picture Show) We didn't date for 3 years after that. We have two awesome kids, Katie (3) and Philip (1). She's a great singer and now sings with my band (she's also a lot smarter than me with a 160 IQ).

Well, that's me in an nutshell.

as we say around here "HI Y'ALL!!!"
tcsned

Re: Hello From Blacksburg, VA!!

Postby strumminsix » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:26 pm

So was it your future wife who flashed you?

Sounds like you are living the high life! Thanks for sharing!
strumminsix

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:33 pm

'Started' @ VA Tech ?
Football ?
:D
You are a kind fellow .... welcome ... again !
Tennessee Jedi

Postby tcsned » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:41 pm

strumminsix wrote:So was it your future wife who flashed you?

Sounds like you are living the high life! Thanks for sharing!

Indeed it was. I am indeed very lucky (on many counts) :)
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:47 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:'Started' @ VA Tech ?
Football ?
:D
You are a kind fellow .... welcome ... again !

lol - started my 24 year college odyssey - though I do work with Coach Beamer on a leadership project and have given guitar lessons to a former fullback - love me some Hokie football - finished a respectable #10 in the country this year. I started school when Bruce Smith was in his last year and suffered through many mediocre years of Bill Dooley's coaching. We are looking good for next year to make a run at the title with two awesome running backs and Tyrod Taylor getting better with every game.
tcsned

Postby Billbbill » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Damn if that ain't the most thorough bio I've seen on these pages! :P

Welcome! :smile:
Billbbill

Postby tcsned » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Billbbill wrote:Damn if that ain't the most thorough bio I've seen on these pages! :P

Welcome! :smile:

Sorry - it's the history geek in me - can't stop writing once I get started :)
tcsned

Postby tcsned » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:56 pm

Also forgot to add - I am a baseball freak. I have been to 200+ MLB games, spring training in Florida and Arizona. I'm an Orioles fan - though it's been tough to hang with them lately. Was a big fan of Earl Weaver, Jim Palmer, Brooks and Frank Robinson, Eddie Murray, and Cal Ripken. My wife is a huge Red Sox fan - we went to Cooperstown, NY to the Hall of Fame for our honeymoon.
tcsned

Postby wisedyes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Hello to you too. My name is dave, live in Richmond, so not too far from you, play with some local folks including a bass player with ties to VA Tech (he went and his wife wen there, and they now have two daughters there). I'm from Baltimore originally, and am also a huge O's fan, although you are correct that it is becoming very difficult to stay one. I also have a BA in history, so there ya go.
Out of the loop? I didn't know there was a loop!
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby tcsned » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:52 pm

wisedyes wrote:Hello to you too. My name is dave, live in Richmond, so not too far from you, play with some local folks including a bass player with ties to VA Tech (he went and his wife wen there, and they now have two daughters there). I'm from Baltimore originally, and am also a huge O's fan, although you are correct that it is becoming very difficult to stay one. I also have a BA in history, so there ya go.

Small world Dave! What period of history did you study? I did most of my work in the age of discovery but would up writing my master's thesis on a coal miner rebellion in WVA in 1921.
tcsned

Postby krzykat » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Are you close to Fredricksburg? My friend books bands at the Otter House. Welcome
krzykat

Postby Billbbill » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:03 pm

tcsned wrote:Also forgot to add - I am a baseball freak. I have been to 200+ MLB games, spring training in Florida and Arizona. I'm an Orioles fan - though it's been tough to hang with them lately. Was a big fan of Earl Weaver, Jim Palmer, Brooks and Frank Robinson, Eddie Murray, and Cal Ripken. My wife is a huge Red Sox fan - we went to Cooperstown, NY to the Hall of Fame for our honeymoon.

The wife and I are huge yanks fans - road tripped down to Balt for about 3 consecutive years (haven't done it the last couple of yrs) for series - always had a great time - great stadium CY is. You must be a strong man, married to a sox fan and all :P
Billbbill

Postby bpg21 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Hey Tom,
I graduated from VA Tech in 83. Lived in Ambler Johnson Hall. Lots of greast bluegrass down there. I actually overdosed on the stuff!!
bpg21
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby wisedyes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:44 pm

tcsned wrote:
wisedyes wrote:Hello to you too. My name is dave, live in Richmond, so not too far from you, play with some local folks including a bass player with ties to VA Tech (he went and his wife wen there, and they now have two daughters there). I'm from Baltimore originally, and am also a huge O's fan, although you are correct that it is becoming very difficult to stay one. I also have a BA in history, so there ya go.

Small world Dave! What period of history did you study? I did most of my work in the age of discovery but would up writing my master's thesis on a coal miner rebellion in WVA in 1921.

I actually did most of my work in the age of discovery myself, and I kind of geek out on religious and theological history. I'm currently back in school attempting to earn a MPA at VCU here in Richmond.
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Postby wisedyes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:50 pm

BTW, for Billbill, it's easy to love a winner. Although sadly the only times the Yard has been filled over the last few years is when the Yankees or Sawks fans take it over during the games against them.
wisedyes
Magic Hand
Magic Hand

Next

Return to Introductions