Hi and guitar recommendation?

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

Re: Hi and guitar recommendation?

Postby tiffcheese » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:45 am

I, too, started out on a $75 beater. Next acoustic was a $250 Ovation. I liked it so much I upgraded next to the $750 Ovation (balladeer I believe) which I still love. Ovation gets mixed reviews from the guitar players I know, but I like the narrow body since I've got short arms :drink:
tiffcheese

Postby strumminsix » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:07 am

tiffcheese wrote:I, too, started out on a $75 beater. Next acoustic was a $250 Ovation. I liked it so much I upgraded next to the $750 Ovation (balladeer I believe) which I still love. Ovation gets mixed reviews from the guitar players I know, but I like the narrow body since I've got short arms :drink:

There are many different shapes to acoustics but most shops are just chocked full of dreadnoughts.

I prefer a "concert" size which is smaller and may be to your liking.
strumminsix

Postby rkubik » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:27 am

Kind of in the same boat as you. I have been playing guitar for about three years now and have been strictly electric. I have a 95' Les Paul Studio and just recently put together my own Jerrycaster. I have been wanting an acoustic for a while now and finally just bought on. A lot of it will be up to you.

I agree with one other poster about the Ibanez they were one of my final choices. I decided to go with the Jasmine Takamine. I have played quite a few at different stores and looked online at some the reviews. Each time I went to the guitar store I kept coming back to it and I was completely surprised by the price and how it fit my body. I was prepared to pay over $300 if I would find something but I found a new one online that was very inexpensive. That would be my only recommendation is to not just shop by price. Your daughters $75 "piece of crap" could be just fine if a setup was done etc on it. Take your time and get something you like. There have been many great guitar players that don't have the best gear.

Good luck.
rkubik
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby gr8fulbluz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:42 am

Hi
I have had good luck with Alvarez. I got a scratch and dent ad-90 like this one>http://www.alvarezgtr.com/images/products/new/AD90SCK.gif it has a little imperfection in the finish on the back. for 400$ it came with a gig bag, capo, a nice strap and a new package o strings.
I also have a 1986 alvarez dread that is prolly worth 50 bucks now but plays great. But i aint sellin :P

Cheers.
gr8fulbluz

Postby barefootdave » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Old Town School is an excellent choice, and if you need work done on your guitar in the future, Geoff Benge is a great luthier located around 3300 N Damen. He has worked on many of my guitars, he is quick and very reasonable $$-wise. An all around great guy.

Remember that you have the rest of your life to learn to play.

Enjoy!
Barefoot Dave
"His job is too shed light, not to master"
barefootdave
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Previous

Return to Introductions