New Member from Wyoming

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

New Member from Wyoming

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:38 am

Hello all,
I just registered, although I've visited the main site for a number of years for the Chords and Lyrics data base... thanks alot to everyone contributing to this great resource! I've been playing for almost 40 years, alot of it in bar-bands, (wow the time goes fast) and saw the Dead the first time in '73. I build guitars, and make my own pups... play out as often as possible, but there seems to be a bit of a lack of dead/jam type musicians in my area... Anyone out there in South East Wyoming? Maybe I just haven't been out enough... The last 5 years I've been living 20 miles out of town, building our self-contained, solar home. It's great, but isolated. I'm off to plow the snow off 3 miles of road this afternoon 'o)

Brian
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender

Postby waldo041 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:56 am

welcome brian!

you'll see some familiar peeps 'round these parts!

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:04 am

hiya! welcome!!!
strumminsix

Postby BuddhaG » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:56 am

hey dude, welcome. sweet guitar project you got going on but i am almost more interested in your off the grid house. i am a student in environmental engineering so this is right up my alley (or atleast it will be eventually).

do you only use solar for electricity? in wyoming? are there really enough sunlight hours?
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:34 pm

Yes, we're totally off the grid, wind and solar for electricity, two computers, tv, tunes, amps, it's quite easy actually... contact me on the email, and I'm happy to discuss it... we need more folks just doing it!

Brian
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
milobender

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:38 pm

I guess if anyone else is interested you can see it our house, etc. at www.dawneaglewoman.com

Brian
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
milobender

Postby alcorelectric » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:49 pm

Welcome,
Is Milobender from the book "Catch 22"
T
alcorelectric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby weirimpressed » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:04 pm

that house looks unreal!
weirimpressed

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:05 pm

Actually not when I started using it, not conscously... Although I'll bet it was rolling aroung in the old noodle... it was one of my favorite books (and still is) in high school. The way I picked the name, was, more years ago than I care to remember, I thought "milieu" was pronounce like Milo, so my play on words was - milieu bender, as Milo Bender... probably not very funny, but it's how I amuse myself...

Brian
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
milobender

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:10 pm

Well, by back certainly knows the house is real! 'o)
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
milobender

Postby alcorelectric » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:22 pm

Yossarian would be proud but that would make him sane.
So I gues he woulnt be proud.
LOL
T
alcorelectric
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby broomhead » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:06 pm

wow.. i hear Wyoming and eagle and i get bad flashbacks..lol

spent a couple weeks there brokedown back in the day.. On "Lavernes" farm...

In all honesty im really envious, I wish i could slow my self down and get to a point where your at. The idea of it is very inviting. You guys have a beautiful home/family!enjoy!
joe
broomhead
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby milobender » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:13 pm

Thanks Joe, but I'm not sure how much we've "slowed down" I spent all day plowing snow, and then the wind kicked back up, the road is snowed shut, and you wouldn't know I was even out... what part of Wyoming were you in? We do like it, but it is certainly more work, and I'm not close enough to like minded musicians!

For general interest, I've just posted some photos of my latest guitar on my website: www.9mileskid.com

Brian
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
milobender

Postby broomhead » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:06 am

funny I was almost going to remove slow down from my post, as it really poorly expressed what i was trying to convey.

I meant slowing our rapid over scheduled, over stimulated brains. What you and others have going on just seems more deliberate and thought out. conservation of thought..sorta..

I was in lovely Laramie Wyoming. long story, involving dead tour, teenage beauty pageant contestants, broke down school buses...lol

Joe
broomhead
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby milobender » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:59 am

That's cool, it's really a joke for myself too 'o) I thought I'd have the house built in a couple of years... it's been 7 years now, and still not finished. I also have never owned property before, and forgot to include Property Taxes in my plan to duck-out and slow down... There's just no way to really do it, but as you say, "deliberate" is a fair way to put it, it certainly is more aware of just living, and prioritizing what's really important. I Lived in Laramie most of my life, sounds like a good adventure. We are now half way between Laramie and Cheyenne. I lived in Denver and Northern California a couple of years, but ended up back here... no matter how I try to engineer or justify a change, it just seems this is the right place to be... as I've been constantly reminded of lately, "truth is stranger than fiction"

Brian
IO Custom Guitars
www.iocustomguitars.com
milobender

Return to Introductions