Hey everybody

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

Hey everybody

Postby prephippie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:46 pm

Greetings from the Deep South (Auburn, AL).

I've been lurking here for a few months and thought it was about time to join. This is, without a doubt, the best tab site on the web...and it just so happens to be focused around my favorite band! Kudos to the guys running this place.

Alright...about me - I'll be 28 next month and I've only been playing the guitar since March of this year. I play a Seagull S6 Cedar acoustic.

I'm obviously still a beginning level guitar player. I can play the chords, but it's not flawless by any stretch...there's still alot of beats missed hunting for the right string. I've worked on a few scales (major/minor pent., locrian, blues) and I feel alot more comfortable playing the scales than I do playing chords. I'm pretty decent at the intros to Ripple, It Must Have Been the Roses, To Lay Me Down that I got from this site (even though I'm an avid music collector and have a ridiculous amount of Dead recordings, the mp3 files are a HUGE help).

Any advice about a practice regimen for a beginner like me would be appreciated.

My 2 favorite bands are:
Grateful Dead and Jerry side projects
Allman Brothers (mostly the Duane era, but that's not meant to take away from Dickey, Warren, Derek, ect. They are all great.)

Honorable mention in no particular order:
Stevie Ray Vaughan
BB King
Phish (They are the band that got me interested in music and I took my username from one of their songs.)
Clapton
Warren Haynes
Derek Trucks

That's about it. See y'all around.
:cool:
"Play yo guitar."
-Pigpen 8/6/71
prephippie
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby BlobWeird » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:01 pm

Glad to have you aboard! Now to get right down to it, under your list of scales I didnt see Mixolydian. Now if you're a Jerry-aholic like me then you might wanna learn that one. Probably one of Jers favs. That and Dorian. So yeah look into em.
BlobWeird

Postby shakedown_04092 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:32 am

Welcome man! Hope to see you posting in the future!

PS - since you're into Phish as well, check out the forums at http://www.strangedesign.org/, we're looking for more contributors over there too!

Right on. :cool:

(hope you guys don't mind the plug)
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Return to Introductions