Hello from Germany

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

Hello from Germany

Postby Henry » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi everybody, I joined this forum a few days ago after a while of browsing the site for lyrics and chords. I don't know if I can call myself a Deadhead but I probably "should have" been one... I saw the band just once and that was in '81 at the Rockpalast Festival, not just on TV but I was actually there, barely 16 at the time and having started to play guitar about a year and a half before. I was very impressed, even though it probably wasn't their greatest show ever. Over the years, I would drift off into different musical directions, listened to the Dead every so often, got a couple of albums but not much more. In '92-'93 I travelled to San Francisco several times, but at the time I was heavily into John Cipollina and preferred to check out what was left of the scene he used to be involved with (pretty amazing BTW, I even got to sit in with Barry Melton at the Saloon). A while after that I discovered the pedal steel guitar, needless to say I became a big New Riders fan (still am). For several years I played in country bands where nobody understood what I was after and it eventually got so frustrating that I gave up steel and went back to guitar. I'm currently playing with a singer/songwriter kind of guy but getting kind of bored, it's becoming too obvious that we have different tastes and interests. Anyway, a few months ago I re-discovered the Dead and - finally - realized that this is where I really want to be. I know I have a lot of catching up to do, for the moment my favorite period, besides, obviously, Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, is the one right after when they were a five-piece, Skull and Roses, Fillmore shows etc. I think those really rock and I'm dreaming about doing something similar... finding people to put together a decent West Coast style jam band, but it seems very difficult in this part of the world. I feel pretty isolated very often. I just want to play guitar and find people who share my taste in music and points of view...
Henry
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby strumminsix » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:15 pm

Welcome aboard, Henry! Cool bit of history you've provided.

There is a group out there for European deadheads.
But I can't remember what it is called anymore.
strumminsix

Postby HawaiianDedhed » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:25 pm

There's a GD cover band in Norway called the Deadaheads.

http://www.myspace.com/deadaheads

Don't know if that's useful but if you're ever going to Oslo. . .
HawaiianDedhed
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:09 pm

Welcome to the mix.

Wish you were in NYC a few years back when I was putting together an alt. country project and couldn't find a pedal steel player I liked. You would have been perfect from what it sounds like.

Good luck with finding kindred spirits in Germany, I would say just gotta poke around.
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby phpbb » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:21 pm

you can find a list of some European dead bands here:

http://www.rukind.org/html/bands/bandlocator.php
phpbb

Postby shakedown_04092 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:56 pm

That's a pretty cool story, Henry. I hope you find some folks to jam with, man. And who cares if you're late to the party....at least you found your way! :cool:
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby st. stephen » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:01 am

hi henry,
i'm german too, nice to see another person from home on this sie nand we're not even very far away from each other..... 500 km (i'm livin near stuttgart)

I#m playin guitar for about 2 years now, maybe one day when i'm better we can play the dead together..... :smile: :cool:

nice to see you!
Could jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
-Homer Simpson-
st. stephen
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Henry » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:51 pm

Thank you for the nice welcome. You guys are great. Yes I think I should check with the European Deadheads, I think there is a site in Germany also. I really want to have my own GD tribute band someday...
St. Stephen, yes, absolutely! Stuttgart is not so very far from where I live, I've been playing gigs there before. Make sure to get some solid rhythm chops down so you can play Bob and I'll do Jerry's part :smile:
Henry
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Return to Introductions