Hey whats up people! Great site.

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

Hey whats up people! Great site.

Postby ChiefBromden » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:05 pm

I just signed up and I think this site is going is the right direction. :cool:
I play a custom rebuilt 93 les paul studio with 93 gibson sg standard pick ups replacing the original studio p ups . I t was originaly white but after years of abuse by its original user I sanded it down to reveal a beautiful maple top which I stained and sanded many times to bring the grain out. The back of the body I refinished using aaa curly maple I ordered from colorado b and b rare woods . I vaneered and finished with nitro about 70 coats and sanded to a 2000 grit.I also replaced the gibson stock tuning pegs with gold grovers put out by gibson. adds moreweight to the headstock.
I plug into a presonus pre amp swaped out with a new groove tube than into a zoom g7 unit with a 12 ax7 tube. Than into a tuned up 94 crate amp 130 watts .
And I like the dead!
ChiefBromden
rukind?
rukind?

Postby squire758 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:44 pm

definately welcome to our humble community! there is alot of people on here who know alot about playing guitar to help you out a bit, not to mention the educational resources provided by RUKIND. hey maybe you can give us a lesson in refinishing guitars, i have a les paul that has some damage to it from the road but if i could repaint it that would be awesome!. :D
squire758
Jester
Jester

Postby BlobWeird » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:55 pm

Welcome! Hey I just finished doin the same thing to an old squier guitar that I replaced all the parts on. I took an exacto to scrape all the paint off hahaha. Then I sanded, stained, and put some mineral oil on it. Not the greatest job but again its a squier so who really cares. But again welcome and hope you enjoy it here. Lots of good people here
BlobWeird

Postby strumminsix » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:00 pm

Welcome aboard!
strumminsix

Refinishing is the best! I simplified a method...

Postby ChiefBromden » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:40 pm

Any question feel free to ask me on guitars I learned the hard way did hours or days worth or research and alot of trial and era but know i GOT it I think as well as the best places to get what you need. It cost about 15 dollars to fix any nick or neck break and about 100 bucks to respray and stain your guitar usinf plenty of nitro cellulose laqure.
ChiefBromden
rukind?
rukind?

Postby BlobWeird » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:07 pm

Hey Chief Im sayin this as a pal but ugh maybe you should enroll in some grammar classes? lol im just messin around man
BlobWeird

Re: Hey whats up people! Great site.

Postby ebick » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:38 pm

ChiefBromden wrote:I just signed up and I think this site is going is the right direction.

well....after 15 years, we're bound to get something right :)
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby hesgone95 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:52 am

ebick wrote:
ChiefBromden wrote:I just signed up and I think this site is going is the right direction.

well....after 15 years, we're bound to get something right :)

Wow, has it been that long? But I guess in retrospect I've been coming here for something like 8 or 9 years....long time.

BTW- welcome to the community Chief.
Goin' home, goin' home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul
hesgone95
Bobby
Bobby

Postby jck_strw » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:00 am

ebick wrote:well....after 15 years, we're bound to get something right :)

But...like the Dead, we're more than capable of screwing it up. :)
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby JONZILLA » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:09 am

Welcome aboard! I am about to stain a new raw neck and body and would like to end up with a satin finish. To achieve this would I simply use the typical (maybe MINWAX) brand stain? How many coats? How about tongue oil for the neck? I have lots of experience applying all these products, just not on guitars.
phriend or foe...who'll ever know?
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby BlobWeird » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:21 am

JON as I explained above I did all this just a month ago or so. And the body like I mentioned didnt come out great but the neck came out beautiful. Considering it was crap I took 60 gd sandpaper to it lol. Then all the way up to like 400 or so. Then I applied mineral oil then I sanded it again this time all the way up to where I used computer paper (the finest your gonna get) then applied again and once again sanded with paper only (no sandpaper) and I was finished. The neck is unbelievably smooth and sleek. It had a very very thick gloss to begin with and was kinda sticky especially after play and sweatin it got to the point where it just didnt let me slide. So I did that and it plays like a charm now. Hope this helps... oh and as for the body I used minwax stainer and applied two coats. You might wanna do more than 2 though because mine isnt the darkest of stains even though it was supposed to be super dark. Oh and use a coarser sandpaper for darker finish it says. So maybe end on a 150 if you want dark and 220 if you want lighter.
BlobWeird

Postby JONZILLA » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Hey thanks a lot. This definitely helps. Using a swamp ash body so I'm lookin forward to seeing how the grain turns out after the stain goes on. I love the natural look.
phriend or foe...who'll ever know?
JONZILLA
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby groovemongrel » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Welcome here! Sorry about the TC avatar. You'll get through it.
groovemongrel
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby ChiefBromden » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:18 pm

dude a company called stewart mcdonald guitar supplies is the ONLY way to go trust me> Stains are better than dyes and you want to make your stain from the dilute aand test it first. I recomend ordering a sand paper kit they have that contains two pieces of every type you need from strip to finish. Key is wet sanding to 2000 grit! also make sure you fill in the wood if its mahagony and sand sealer is very important.They sell sanding spray sealer in a can buy one of those nd 6 cans of nitro cellulose laqure and it wi it sit for a day and sand down. ill look as good or better than original.
The key is light coats do it three passes of the can lightly and quick, 3 times a day for a month. After every ten coats sand it down using like500 grit and work down to a 2000 finish buff and let it harden for a month or else it will scratch very easy~
Again the key is stewart mcdonald for all your needs peace.
ChiefBromden
rukind?
rukind?

Postby phreaker » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:41 pm

Cheif, excellent user name.
phreaker

Return to Introductions