Grateful new member checking in...

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

Grateful new member checking in...

Postby RiseandFall » Sat May 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Hi folks.
I’m brand spanking new to the forum, although I’ve been observing (and learning very much) for several months now.

By way of intro, I’m a musician who’s been in a long term love affair with the Dead for the bulk of my existence. I attended 96 shows over the years, starting with a 12/12/73 show at the Omni in Atlanta (I got there early to watch the WOS set up…sat front row center…and no one EVER claimed the seat, so my very first show was at point blank range) up to a spring 95 show at the same venue. The main bulk of the shows I attended though, were on spring and fall tours between 78 and 85. I view my attendance of these shows as perhaps the best use of time I’ve spent whilst on the planet.

The way I stumbled across this forum was on an internet search for info seeking insight on attaining a degree of Jerry’s clarity/reverb for my own playing. I realized I would never really be happy with my then current sound, until I understood how the optimal/pinnacle sound (JG) was achieved. Needless to say, I opened a rather unexpected and highly complex can of worms! But it is a can of worms I’ve found exceedingly rewarding and wholly gratifying.

Through info from this forum, my rig has transformed from a Tele and an SG Standard run straight into a Blues Junior, to its current state... a Qtron> SMS (currently in line for, and due at the end of the month…thanks Brad..)>MC50>birch 2X12 cab loaded with E-120’s.
A more appropriate guitar…/obel/buffer/dist etc . etc. are on my horizon as well.

Combing through this incredible repository of knowledge and insight has been as fun as it has been daunting. By overhauling my rig, piece by piece as I have, with the more “preferred” equipment, I’ve gained a smidgen of insight myself, on what each “part” of the rig contributes to the whole. I’ve scrutinized each piece of the puzzle, as it were. For me, this incremental approach has both served to confirm the knowledge and eloquence of the people that post here, as well as to sharpen my ear and clarify my own understanding of what each element achieves.
To all of you, I am so grateful.

In closing, let me say that I’ve had some first-hand Jerry/Bob/Phil/--Healey/Harry P encounters and conversations over the years, that I will at some juncture throw out there, that could be at best, of interest, and at worst worth a chuckle.
Figured I’d say hi first though.

Anyway…glad to be on board.

With appreciation,

Bill
RiseandFall
RiseandFall
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Re: Grateful new member checking in...

Postby gmchart » Sat May 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Now that's a tease.
gmchart
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Smolder » Sat May 18, 2013 4:21 pm

hey Bill... welcome
Smolder

Postby dleonard » Sat May 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Welcome dude. Though I don't post a whole lot, this forum is a few-times-a-day checker.
dleonard
Bear
Bear

Postby ugly rumor » Mon May 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Settle on down and get comfortable; take your coat off and stay awhile, and don't be skimpy on the facts! Welcome!
Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go, we just ride...
ugly rumor
Bobby
Bobby

Postby tcsned » Mon May 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Welcome a aboard! This is a great place to learn and share. I've done much more learning than sharing :)
tcsned

Postby WharfRat42 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:32 am

Cool! When you've satisfied your GASSING... WE WANT PICS!!! :smile:
WharfRat42
bruce
bruce

Postby PaulJay » Mon May 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Your credentials are impressive. May your quest for knowledge in Deadology be fruitful . Welcome aboard, Paul
PaulJay
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby jkstraw » Mon May 27, 2013 4:13 pm

Welcome Bill - always glad to hear from those with road tested knowledge and skill - tour stories are a definite bonus for us relative late comers!

Glad you chimed in - look forward to hearing from you.

peace! :cool:
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Return to Introductions