Greetings from Bakersfield

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

Greetings from Bakersfield

Postby Dwarf Rat » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:17 am

Dwarf Rat? We were driving back from the GD movie and the name popped into my head.

1972 I got a package in the mail from a friend in Denmark. It was two three inch reels of tape. The only tape player was in the high school band room. We put it on and heard our very first live Dead tape, recorded from a broadcast at the University of Aarhus.

Well, we knew we were gonna play Dead tunes after that, so we deconstructed parts of Anthem of the Sun and got to work. Imagine that at a high school dance with a liquid light show?

Now it's 2011 and the kids are grown up, the drummer moved back to town, and our set list seems to be six hours long with a lot of tunes from Europe '72.

We are a three piece with a singing drummer and another voice for harmonies. My brother the keyboard genius won't play FOTD because, " The devil is no friend of mine." We skank it up for good measure
My rig is ridiculously simple: sunburst MIM strat with a Seymour Duncan Everything set, a late 50s Fender Tweed Deluxe, Boss Fender Reverb, Small Clone Phasor, Mini Q Tron, and a DOD analog delay from the early 80s. If I need to be louder I will add a Victoria Tweed Deluxe. The lead tone is pretty close to Live Dead, but the chords are closer to Neil Young. I have been playing lap steel on the New Speedway/ Little Red Rooster set. That is pretty entertainig. The bass player has a Mesaa run through a single 12" Mesa cab.

Bakersfield is a tough place to get a gig, but we are the only band with a solid Dead list, so that seems to be a plus.

We are strictly a bush league ensemble fueled by heroic quantities of IPA, but people are always impressed with how well we can play. After almost 40 years of playing, we are starting to figure it out.

So, if you are ever broken down in Bakersfield, give me a call.

Matt Sarad
Last edited by Dwarf Rat on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dwarf Rat
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Re: Greetings from Bakersfield

Postby tcsned » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:37 am

Welcome aboard!
tcsned

Postby hotasaPistol » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:15 pm

Hey Now,
welcome.......I live in Hanford.....90 miles north................

George :smile: :smile: :smile:
hotasaPistol
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Dwarf Rat » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:42 am

I know Hanford well. Been to a few shows at the Fox. Love the ice cream at Superior.

Richard Hoover of Santa Cruz Guitar was born and raised in Hanford.
Dwarf Rat
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Return to Introductions