Hello to all from Wurtsboro ny

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

Hello to all from Wurtsboro ny

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:04 am

I haven't been a member very long, and am just gettting around to this. Sorry it took so long. I'm Jim. I live upstate NY, on a mountain in the Catskills. I'm 57 yrs old and been playin and listening and went to Dead shows for 43 yrs. I play 6 string, but can do a pretty good phil too. I've always loved the Dead and have always had a special place in my heart for Jerry. Of course I don't just play the Dead, but when I play anyhting elce, It still sounds like a lot of Dead and Jerry influence. Not in a band right now. I've been jammin with a few new friends and putting something together. I'm exposing a couple of great musicians to the Dead. They have heard the Dead, but don't know the songs and style. I'm trying to teach them IOM! All these years I've just been using any decent guitar and a '65 Delux Reverb. No mods. I sold the Delux a couple years ago and got a twin. I wanted to finally work on gettin Jerry tone. I modded a guitar with super II's, buffer etc. and was going to start modding the twin etc. when I realised (after reading countless posts here from wonderful people) that I can utilize Brads SMS classic/Jerry mod with the Rocktron V300 and not only save time and money, but also get the exact sound I want and save my back. I bought the SMS on craigs list (from a peddel steel player in Nashville) and it is now in Brad's hands for the Jerry mod. As soon as I get it from Brad, I'm going to be one of the happiest guitar players in the world! I will run it through the Rocktron Velocity 300 to E 120's. So, there ya go! I feel there are many very kind, knowledgeable and helpful people here and I'm really glad I found this awesome forum! Thanks for having it!
First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Re: Hello to all from Wurtsboro ny

Postby gr8fullfred » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:34 am

Jim,

If you are in Wurtsboro, you should check out the Deadbeats, from New Paltz NY. They are on of the best Dead influenced bands in the region and have been at it for a long time. They are not a clone type band and mix in alot of songs outside the Dead's song list.

Regards,Fred
gr8fullfred
Jerry
Jerry

Postby hippieguy1954 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:27 pm

gr8fullfred wrote:Jim,

If you are in Wurtsboro, you should check out the Deadbeats, from New Paltz NY. They are on of the best Dead influenced bands in the region and have been at it for a long time. They are not a clone type band and mix in alot of songs outside the Dead's song list.

Regards,Fred

Thanks Fred,
I think I've heard of them. I'll have to check them out!
Jim
hippieguy1954

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:02 pm

Yo Jim
Small world ! -I'm planning a trip to Wurtsboro to go rock hunting up on the Shawagunk Ridge.
You like rocks ?
Up for a hike ?
:-)
Tennessee Jedi

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:16 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Yo Jim
Small world ! -I'm planning a trip to Wurtsboro to go rock hunting up on the Shawagunk Ridge.
You like rocks ?
Up for a hike ?
:-)

Hey Tennessee Jedi,
When are ya going? I'm not sure whats goin on these days from day to day and also takin care of my 92 yr old mother (who moved in a few months ago) who is bed ridden and basically slowly passing.
Very small world! I've hiked all my life all over the place. Have been all over the Shawagunk Ridge! There is actually some of the ridge in my back yard, but where your going is just awesome. Are you starting at Sam's Point/Ice caves?
Jim
hippieguy1954

Return to Introductions