Tabs?

Tabs?

Postby ctziel » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:54 pm

I was wondering why so many tabs are no longer available on this site. This site is the only site I can find most of those tabs and now I can't get them.
ctziel
Wall of Sound
Wall of Sound

The Think Tank

Postby phreaker » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:15 pm

i was wondering the same.

most of the missing songs are ones the dead didnt write though.

but some songs have no lyrics, no chords, and just like an intro riff or something. bit of a bummer
phreaker

Postby hesgone95 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:53 am

I was wondering the same, my assumption was that it had to do with the same BS on the archive.org. the dead not allowing other stuff to be 'free' if associated with their name. copyright crap and all. I dunno any other ideas or facts?
Goin' home, goin' home
By the waterside I will rest my bones
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul
hesgone95
Bobby
Bobby

Postby mikeohiostate » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:16 pm

if it had to do with the "BS" from archive.org then ALL the tabs would be pulled off. Incase you didn't notice, all the original GD/Jerry/Bobby tabs are still up.
mikeohiostate
Brent
Brent

intellectual property

Postby waldo041 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:38 pm

i think, and i may be wrong, but i have been hearing of a tablature crackdown. another way for artist's to make more money with the sale of tab books. or not a way for some tab sites to make money w/advertising using major artist's songs as bait. sorta like the the napster thing. i know that people who make the tabs do all the work, but the music they are tabbing is someone else's. i personnaly would start archiving what you can or want. if it goes down, in a couple of years you'll be getting tabs for a $1 somewhere.

sad but unfortunately may be true in the not to distant future. itabs here we come. :mad:

as far as still having dead tabs, well you guy's know that the dead have alway's allowed taping of show's. i am sure they feel the same as far as someone else tabbing there tunes. :cool: or :D

again, i may be wrong. here is one place i have seen it spoken of.
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7141.cfm

peace,
waldo
waldo041

The Think Tank

Postby phreaker » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:53 pm

Yeah waldo, many sites are removing tabs for crap like that. they need more and more money.

All the members of the dead are more wealthy than i would ever be, they dont NEED more money. i may be wrong, maybe since the "megadead" era in 87-95 they somehow lost thousands of dollars. even though thousands of shows were being downloaded for free off archive, it didnt make them any less rich. they still had all the money. in fact, im starting to see grateful dead hats at wal-mart. ew.

and mikeohiostate, i think what they said about the "BS" stuff was that Bobby wanted the shows off of archive because of the cover songs. and a lot of the tabs taken off the site were cover songs, as i said earlier.

i think all the members of the band are great guys, especially phil. they just kinda ruined the whole spirit though.

oh well, the concerts are still fun, they still sound great, and it IS their music. just kinda pisses me off how they all turned into hypocrites.
phreaker

Postby ebick » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:17 pm

I've been waiting for the right moment to jump in here. I usually avoid these threads because, these questions have been answered a few times in other threads.

OK, first of all, the tabs that were removed are the ones that are either not original Grateful Dead (or more specifically, Ice Nine publishing) music, or they are not so old that they are deemed "traditional" or otherwise public domain.

The timing was indeed around the same time as the archive.org situation. however, there was NO PRESSURE FROM ANYONE EXTERNAL to remove the tabs from this site. It was an internal decision. You see, Gregg and I don't make any money from this site, and we decided we'd rather play it safe than receive a letter from some lawyer. How many of the thousands of folks who visit this site do you think would be there to pony up their bank accounts if we got sued? Let me help you figuring out that number. 0.

So, the Dead did not tell us to remove the tabs. In fact, they re-affirmed their blessing for the material that they have the right to bless.

phreaker.....I have to take issue with some of the things you said, my man. America is a great country. Freedom is one of the reasons. Capitalism is another. We all gotta eat, and the system of capitalism is why you have a roof over your head (assuming that you do). So, before you condemn the members of the band because you feel that they've made enough money, ask yourself this question.

I assume that you have a job or own a business and that what you do, either in product or service, produces something of value that causes someone somewhere along the line to pay you for that. What is your current net worth (don't answer, I'm asking rhetorically)? What is the net worth figure that you can name for me today that will represent the point at which you will continue doing what you are currently doing, perhaps incurring expenses to do it, and no longer seek to be compensated for it?

Now, I will remind you of a line written by Pete Townshend......"I hope I die before I get old". I don't think Pete feels that way today.

And when you reach that net worth figure, you will not start giving the fruits of your labor away for free either, no matter what you say today. As your net worth increases, your style of living will move along with it, and the net worth requirement will continue to rise.

Don't villify those guys for being successful. They are not hypocrits, and they don't "owe" us anything. And with regard to this site, they have been very cool.

Just my $.02
Last edited by ebick on Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ebick

Postby knip » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:30 pm

Watch Festival Express, and see Jerry and Bob talk about the Calgary nutjobs that thought the Dead should play for free. They were into being paid for their work back then like everybody else. Not to say they didn't do free stuff; we all know they did/do plenty of that. But the fact is, if it is ALL free, then how do they eat? Exactly. So some stuff is free is others cost. It's perfectly within their right to say what costs and what is free. Just be happy so much of their property is free. I begrudge them nothing. They've given more than they've taken, in my view.
knip
rukind?
rukind?

Postby mikeohiostate » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:45 pm

ebrick, great perspective. Thanks for sharing.
mikeohiostate
Brent
Brent

The Think Tank

Postby phreaker » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:12 pm

i totally see what you mean bick.

i...dont exactly have a job, or a permanent roof over my head. so i guess im not one to make accusations about others being unfair with money.

i just over reacted with the whole archive thing. i dont want to keep dragging that into the topic, but thats why i used the words hypocrites. jerry was really the only one who said "they can have it." god bless him.

and if i had the members in front of me right now, i would get on my knees, and kiss their shoes. i cannot thank them enough for what they have done to my life.

the archive (damnit! stop talking about it!) incident was only negative on my part. i am just a fan who wants to hear music. i was bummed when i found out the shows where no longer available for download, who wasnt?

i am only a fan, just a face in the crowd of millions. i have no room to judge the dead for their actions, and i now see how stupid it is to do so. i never boycotted GDM. in fact, the day after the online petition was posted, i bought "without a net" on vinyl, along with one hella cool dead shirt.

also, thank you to all the moderators and people who run this site.

eBick, your one reply opened my eyes. thanks again brother.
phreaker

Postby b weird » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:57 pm

Theres two things I've got to say. First: Waldo041 said that the reason the tabs may be being removed is so that the artists get more money from the sale of tab books, but the tab books dont have half the amount song that Rukind has/had. Second: Isnt it Bob Weir thats saying all this BS about "how am I gonna put my kids through collage." Well he makes enough money at each show that with a little saving he could put ten kids through collage. Well thats my two cents. Peace, dudes.
b weird

Postby strumminsix » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:07 pm

b weird wrote:Theres two things I've got to say. First: Waldo041 said that the reason the tabs may be being removed is so that the artists get more money from the sale of tab books, but the tab books dont have half the amount song that Rukind has/had. Second: Isnt it Bob Weir thats saying all this BS about "how am I gonna put my kids through collage." Well he makes enough money at each show that with a little saving he could put ten kids through collage. Well thats my two cents. Peace, dudes.

Peel back the layers and see it is not all Bob he is thinking of the entire GD organization. Artists deserve to be compensated and tunes are copy-righted material.
strumminsix

Postby AugustWest » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:14 pm

b wierd, take it easy man all the orignal dead music is still tabbed on this site. Ed bick said the GD org. has been nothing but cool with this site. So your complaint about the tab books not having all the songs is unwarrented. Also my 2 cents about the archive the music is all still there. You can stream all the sbd's and still download all the aud tapes. It's still a great tool for sharing the dead's music. It's not as convienent as before, but man tape trading exisited long before the archive and it will live long after it. IT'S JUST NOT A BIG DEAL! trade shows like you use to. Give bob a break! Bob and phil's bands are smokin' right now it's not GD but there still providing good times! that makes em good folk in my book!
AugustWest
Bobby
Bobby

Agreed!

Postby Laytonco » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:05 am

August West,
You make a great point. The Dead, the music, tape trading, tab grabbing, show go0ing....it's all still the best in the world. And we are lucky as hell we still have all of this even after the fat man started playing in heaven's band!
Laytonco

Postby b weird » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:53 am

Yes, all the original Garcia and Weir tunes are still here,thank God. I guess I was a little too hard on Bob I mean Id want to get my fair share of the money from my songs. :D I do have one question though, how come if they took away all the other songs not penned by a band member why did they leave Morning Dew?
b weird

Next

Return to Frequently asked questions