Anyone know how to change the picture on the right?

Anyone know how to change the picture on the right?

Postby zott » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:57 pm

Anyone know how to change the picture on the right? Not sure how I got Vince's picture
zott
Grateful Chef
Grateful Chef

Postby ebick » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:30 pm

Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby caspersvapors » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:03 pm

i really think we should be allowed custom avatars. because then you start to associate people with their avatar and its more like a face, its easier to identify people individually
caspersvapors

Postby BuddhaG » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:03 am

How about this?

After a certain post count, upon which you have established yourself as a deadicated member, you would be allowed to put up an avatar of your choice.

Personally, I like my current avatar and there are some really fucking cool ones that have been picked by the admins that I would like to have.

Also, I like the current system because it shows seniority and that is important here. You need to know which guys have been around because we have to respect the vibe previously established before we (newer members) joined.

So, I do like the system but think that after a certain period we should have the privilege of customizing our avatars.

Okay thats my 2 rubles.
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Postby Mick » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:48 am

If you want to post a picture, you can do it in your signature space. That way, you would have the avatar showing your contribution level, AND a picture with which to associate you as a person.
Mama Mama many worlds I've come since I first left home.
Mick
Jerry
Jerry

Postby weirimpressed » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:42 am

i cant wait to get my blues of allah pic
weirimpressed

Postby caspersvapors » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:56 pm

Mick wrote:If you want to post a picture, you can do it in your signature space. That way, you would have the avatar showing your contribution level, AND a picture with which to associate you as a person.

how does our avatar show our contribution level? nobody even knows when they change. post count is what really shows contribution level.

are you guys part of any other forums? every other forum i go on allows custom avatars.
caspersvapors

Postby Mick » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:04 pm

caspersvapors wrote:
Mick wrote:If you want to post a picture, you can do it in your signature space. That way, you would have the avatar showing your contribution level, AND a picture with which to associate you as a person.

how does our avatar show our contribution level? nobody even knows when they change. post count is what really shows contribution level.

are you guys part of any other forums? every other forum i go on allows custom avatars.

The avatars change DEPENDING on your post count. I haven't been through all that many, but posts 1-5 I had the black "RUKIND" guitar pick avatar. Then 6-10 is the skeleton "RUKIND" avatar. Then it was "Wall of Sound", than "Vince", and now, mine is "Tiger". I believe that at 75 posts, mine will change to "TC" and then to "Rosebud" when I get to 100. From looking at other poeple's, this seems to be 100% consistent, so your avatar does reflect your contribution level IMO>

I do post on one other forum and they do allow personal avatars. I have had one at times, and none at other times. I don't think it is a big deal, and kind of like the "rank" system that is going here. That, and if you want your own picture on your posts, it would appear that several posters have them in their signature, so you have the option to customize with a photo. I don't think I understand what you feel is missing here.
Mama Mama many worlds I've come since I first left home.
Mick
Jerry
Jerry

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:30 pm

i really think we should be allowed custom avatars. because then you start to associate people with their avatar and its more like a face, its easier to identify people individually
BuddhaG wrote:How about this?

After a certain post count, upon which you have established yourself as a deadicated member, you would be allowed to put up an avatar of your choice.

Personally, I like my current avatar and there are some really fucking cool ones that have been picked by the admins that I would like to have.

Also, I like the current system because it shows seniority and that is important here. You need to know which guys have been around because we have to respect the vibe previously established before we (newer members) joined.

So, I do like the system but think that after a certain period we should have the privilege of customizing our avatars.

Okay thats my 2 rubles.

I too would like to have more individualized avs. That's kind of the norm for a few other ezboards I'm on, and I think its cool; you instantly know the person posting at a glance.

For one thing, people address me as Strummin from time to time! But another thing is this: I don't necessarily feel I should qualify as a "senior" member just because I post much more frequently/compulsively than the average rukinder... sometimes my posts are just nitpicking BS, sometimes a 2 cent opinion, sometimes a helpful nugget of info (I hope), but I'm a relative newcomer from about 2 years ago maybe, and a lot went down on these boards before I ever made the scene. A lot of guys have been around a long time and just don't post as often.

Isn't there a way to have a 80x80 personal av and then below that, a "mini-av" (like 30x30) to denote "seniority"? Other than that, it's cool that we can put them in our sig space- I just wish folks would limit the height of their sigs to about 100 or 125 max to make scrolling a bit quicker.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby amyjared » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:02 pm

I see your point, but I kinda was lookin' forward to movin' up the ranks and seeing the different ones that appear next to me. Either way.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby strumminsix » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:59 pm

tigerstrat wrote:For one thing, people address me as Strummin from time to time!

God, you must feel horribly insulted :lol:
strumminsix

Postby steve » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:03 pm

i kinda like the changing avatar. as was said before, there's room for a signature in there
steve
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby caspersvapors » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:25 pm

Mick wrote:
The avatars change DEPENDING on your post count. I haven't been through all that many, but posts 1-5 I had the black "RUKIND" guitar pick avatar. Then 6-10 is the skeleton "RUKIND" avatar. Then it was "Wall of Sound", than "Vince", and now, mine is "Tiger". I believe that at 75 posts, mine will change to "TC" and then to "Rosebud" when I get to 100. From looking at other poeple's, this seems to be 100% consistent, so your avatar does reflect your contribution level IMO>

yeah but my point is that nobody knows all of the ranks of every avatar (cept for admin), if i looked at someone who had a pigpen in their avatar then someone with a billy, i would have no idea who was higher ranked, until i looked at their post count, so really the avatars dont really mean anything on their own.

Mick wrote:I do post on one other forum and they do allow personal avatars. I have had one at times, and none at other times. I don't think it is a big deal, and kind of like the "rank" system that is going here. That, and if you want your own picture on your posts, it would appear that several posters have them in their signature, so you have the option to customize with a photo. I don't think I understand what you feel is missing here.

half the time Ill see like 4 people in a post with the same avatar and sometimes no sig, and ill never probably remember who they are again. i mean theres some people i recognize cause they post in a ton of threads, i.e. tigerstrat, strumminsix. but i just think being able to personalize everything gives people more of an identity in a faceless world.

i think it should be voted, if the majority want this ranking system ill shut the fuck up

tigerstrat wrote:I too would like to have more individualized avs. That's kind of the norm for a few other ezboards I'm on, and I think its cool; you instantly know the person posting at a glance.

exactly
caspersvapors

Postby Pigpen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Tell you the truth I dont remember the people with Tiger and earlier avatars.
Simple enough
Pigpen
Billy
Billy

Postby BuddhaG » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:55 pm

I see your point about the post count determining the rank/status of the member rather than an avatar.

It really does say nothing on its own.

Maybe we could just choose from the ones the webmaster uploaded if we didn't feel like uploading our own avatar.

Also, Jerry didnt have to be around for 5 years before people recognized him as Jerry...

Just because a member has only recently shown their face on this wonderufl site doesn't mean he/she shouldn't be able to have the Jerry handprint if he really feels like he should have it.

After all, why is Jerry the highest status on the site. He didn't consider himself the most important member of the group, though he was surely the most enigmatic member of the band.

I don't know, just thinking out loud. Good Discussion.
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Next

Return to How to use the forums