A question for you who are from or live in the north east.

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

A question for you who are from or live in the north east.

Postby jjbankhead » Thu May 06, 2010 9:24 am

So i have an opportunity coming up for my wife to take a job with her company (Trader Joe's) in a store scheduled to open this fall in Portland, Maine.

we have been looking at properties and rentals, while the cost of rent is pretty close to what we pay now the price of homes is WAY cheaper than here in California.

Two things we have to consider:

1. I was charged with a felony possession of LSD in 1997, its been expunged from my record, but here in California i will never be allowed to be a teacher, which is what i went to school for. I am currently trying to figure out if the State of Maine's department of Education will grant me the opportunity to teach or not. I can always go for my masters and teach in colleges, but credentialing for secondary education is way less time and a bit more immediate. So if anybody knows anything that could help me with that it would be awesome.

2. we don't know a damn thing about Portland or Maine in general other than there is some beautiful coastline and a bunch of lakes nearby, and a lot of people go there for lobster. It seems like there are quite a few dead related things going on there so i assume they are freak friendly... but i really don't have a clue. We don't know much about the neighborhoods or the culture in general so anything anyone can relay to us would be cool.

thanks
jjbankhead
Mickey
Mickey

Re: A question for you who are from or live in the north east.

Postby erock » Thu May 06, 2010 9:39 am

I can't help you much, But I've had a few friends who lived in Portland, and loved it there.

It looks very beautiful there as well.

good luck with #1
erock
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby gr8fulbluz » Thu May 06, 2010 9:56 am

Maineiacs are good people. I have visited Portland many times and love it during the summer. Winter can be cold and a bit damp but I like it a bit cold. I know there are some people on this board from the area so I hope you get the info you need.
Good music scene downtown, good food, minor league baseball are just a few of the things I can think of right now.

New England is a great place to live, I have in the past considered moving to Portland or southern New Hampshire. But I am a big chicken
:oops:

Good luck
gr8fulbluz

Postby jjbankhead » Thu May 06, 2010 10:17 am

thanks, the minor league team was one of the selling points for me, and Fenway is only a few hour drive. I am a bit of a baseball nerd so those are key points for me. glad to hear the downtown/ music scene is good.
jjbankhead
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu May 06, 2010 10:40 am

Fenway is heaven.

I like Maine a lot... it fits my personality well. Just kind of tucked away up there, trying not to be bothered too much by the rest of the country.

Portland is pretty cool, too... haven't spent a ton of time there but I've enjoyed it every time.

Cold is definitely something to consider. Some people can't deal with it. Can't say that I blame them, even though I grew up with worse.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby mttourpro » Thu May 06, 2010 11:13 am

I have a good friend outside Portland who is a middle school teacher. If you pm me, I'll send your question to him with your email address---I'm sure he knows more than most about that sort of thing.

FWIW, I've been to Maine and really loved it. He moved there about 15 years ago and has nothing but great things to say about it as well.
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby jjbankhead » Thu May 06, 2010 11:15 am

Well i took the initiative to just call the Dept. of Ed. in maine and they pretty much told me based on my record i shouldn't have any problem getting certified.

he basically said getting hired is another question it will be dependent on the school i apply for. This is a huge weight off my shoulder....

So does anybody have any neighborhood specific info...

i am PMing you now Mttourpro
jjbankhead
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu May 06, 2010 11:56 am

Shoot me a PM and I'll put you in touch with a friend of mine who lives there. Great guy, plays a mean Trey and good Jerry, runs a really good cover band.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tcsned » Thu May 06, 2010 1:09 pm

jjbankhead wrote:thanks, the minor league team was one of the selling points for me, and Fenway is only a few hour drive. I am a bit of a baseball nerd so those are key points for me. glad to hear the downtown/ music scene is good.

MiLB baseball rules! Is it the Seadogs up there - nothing better than watching hungry young kids play the game. Though I am an Orioles fan, I loved my trip to Fenway last year w/my Sox fan wife. I spent some time in Portland back in the 80s went to a few Grateful Dead shows there and at least then it seemed like a really cool town.

As to the felony thing - as far as I know if it has been expunged from your record then it shouldn't be an issue - I think that the state has to seal or destroy all records of arrest, conviction, and incarceration. The one thing I'm not sure of is how to answer the "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?" question on most applications. If you can't find an answer you can PM me and I can ask a lawyer friend who does criminal law in New England she might be able to help.
tcsned

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Thu May 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Sorry to furthur hijack the topic at hand but I'm going to Fenway tonight! :cool: Found tickets for $5 on Stub Hub so a co-worker and I are headed over. Hopefully sweeping the LAAs! (sorry if you're an Angels fan. :lol: ) But with Dice-K on the mound. :shock:
Rusty the Scoob

Postby tcsned » Thu May 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Sorry to furthur hijack the topic at hand but I'm going to Fenway tonight! :cool: Found tickets for $5 on Stub Hub so a co-worker and I are headed over. Hopefully sweeping the LAAs! (sorry if you're an Angels fan. :lol: ) But with Dice-K on the mound. :shock:

tcsned

Postby myoung6923 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Portland is a great town - love Maine - very hip place & just gorgeous! Also - it's really close to the rest of New England, Boston, NH, Vermont. I'm sure you've noticed - but there's lots of great music in the area too!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

http://www.fennario.us
http://www.youtube.com/fennarioband
http://www.facebook.com/fennarioband
myoung6923

Postby gr8fulbluz » Thu May 06, 2010 3:51 pm

jjbankhead wrote:Well i took the initiative to just call the Dept. of Ed. in maine and they pretty much told me based on my record i shouldn't have any problem getting certified.

. . .

That is great news!
gr8fulbluz

Postby Maybeck09 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:15 pm

My sister and her husband live in Maine just outside of Portland (Topsham) and love it. She's from Virginia but has lived all over and moved there from SF about 8 years ago or so. She loves it. I know in the winter they are ready to bug out, but they love the outdoors and the summers are cool and nice. I went to her wedding in Portland and it seemed like a pretty cool town. Right on the water. Could be cool! Good luck.
Maybeck09
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby raisingfreen » Thu May 06, 2010 6:43 pm

jjbankhead,
you may also want to check out the towns that immediately surround portland. (ie, south portland, westbrook, gorham, windham etc...) I lived in portland for years and started my family in gorham. Still really close and way cheaper. (Also a great school system, lots of kids and sports and we know all the teachers. I have a friend on the board at USM that may be able to point you in the right direction as well).

Great music scene all around as well. Cumberland County always has room for another deadhead, maybe also a little phishy around these parts too!!

Welcome to Maine! (Sorta)
raisingfreen
Donna
Donna

Next

Return to Everything Else