76 Irwin Bass

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: 76 Irwin Bass

Postby Thomas Lieber » Fri May 17, 2013 5:56 am

I wanted to mention that there has been some misinformation out there about the Dragon recovery. As I have stated here earlier on this thread" It was RUKIND.COM that was instrumental in bringing Klaus and I together which lead to the basses recovery, not the D Irwin Guitars tribute page on facebook.

The media picks up on the wrong info and then it snow balls, unbelievable!

Both Pete and I will continue to correct this misinformation!

Thank you RUKIND!
Thomas
Thomas Lieber
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Pete Sears Moonalice » Sat May 18, 2013 12:13 pm

I owe a debt of gratitude to all of you on the Grateful Dead Forum http://www.RUKIND.com. As many of you may know by now, my Doug Irwin "Dragon" bass, built for me in 1976-77 from the same piece of wood as Jerry's "Tiger" by Luthier Tom Lieber was stolen from me in Germany in 1978 at a Jefferson Starship concert in Germany. Tom worked with Doug in his shop. We completely lost track of the instrument...every so often Tom and I would lament the loss of this beautiful, one of a kind work of art. Then four years ago Tom placed a photo of the bass on your Forum asking people to come forward if they had any idea where it might be. We offered a reward. Magically, a few weeks ago a fellow in Germany who had bought the bass in 1991 came forward saying it had been sitting in its case unused for many years...he had stopped playing in bands. He recently decided to get back into playing and did an Internet search to try and find out about the bass and came across the photo on Tom's forum post. He decided he couldn't play a bass he knew had been stolen...even though he felt he legally owned it. We came to a monetary arrangement and I now have the bass back. Tom has restored the original pick-up configuration, refretted the neck, and mended a crack in the peg head. I played "Dragon" for the first time with "Moonalice" at the Bottlerock Festival in Napa, California last Thursday. I can't believe it is back in my hands again after 35 years. It plays like a dream. My thanks again to the forum, and to Klaus for coming out of the woodwork...we may never have recovered the instrument otherwise.
My best to everyone, Jerry's smiling down.
Pete Sears
Pete Sears Moonalice
welcome
welcome

Postby waldo041 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:51 pm

~waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby strumminsix » Sat May 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Great story and very kind words, Mr. Sears!
strumminsix

Postby pablomago » Fri May 31, 2013 7:07 pm

What a beautiful bass! I haven't had bass lust like this in years. And I don't even play bass much.

Does Doug Irwin still build guitars? Is there a bio somewhere online about him? I once had a flyer for his instruments that I picked up at Don Weir's Music City in SF many, many years ago.

Pete, I am SO glad that you and the bass have been reunited. I wonder how many of those other "lost" JS instruments are still floating around Europe?
pablomago
TC
TC

Previous

Return to Everything Else