The Claw - Jerry's right hand technique

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: The Claw - Jerry's right hand technique

Postby mijknahs » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:58 pm

I've never noticed that about the open D but I will start looking (and listening) now that you've mentioned it.

Thanks,
Jim
mijknahs

Postby Rusty the Scoob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:34 pm

When I hear "The Claw" I think of Geddy Lee's right hand technique - as he himself nicknamed it.

Pointless post of the day. File that under stuff you probably don't need to know unless you're a bass player.
Rusty the Scoob

Postby keirweir » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:06 am

Artistry... I finger pick but I ALWAYS have to leave my pinky on the guitar to balance my hand. I would be lost without it (like most of us). Right around that 5:40 mark his pinky is picking and there seems to be nothing balancing his hand. Can anyone else here accomplish fluent picking without the pinky balance? Just another subtle mastery under Jerry’s belt.
keirweir

Postby tatittle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:35 pm

I never use my pinky to balance/anchor my hand...funny I noticed the kid I started playing with years ago did that (while using pick even) and I thought it was strange lol.
I am hardly an accomplished fingerpicker at this point, but I can do some nice stuff (IMO) once I get up to speed. It is more natural for my to use my palmheel as an anchor, then I can do muting as well. That does keep me a bit closer to the bridge than I would like for tone, and diminishes the leverage I have with my bare thumb. I suppose the type of bridge on the guitar would affect the style/ergonomics alot. Ive been playing Strats and Martins, flat bridges.

I was a Jorma freak when I started playing, but didnt have the patience to get over the hump of syncopation with thumb keeping time back then. Wish I had...now that i finally started doing it there is nothing like it, especially playing alone. I am letting my tips heal now from an excited session with the acoustic (which had been dormant for months). I am trying to get acclaimated to a thumb pick to get a little more authority and some Tommy Emmanuel type flourishes LOL (in my head anyhow).
tatittle
Bobby
Bobby

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby easytoslip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:12 am

ronster wrote: As far as tucking away the pick , I put it in my mouth if I'm not going to be singing otherwise I just put it on the nearest flat surface.

ditto
I love seeing fingerpicking anywhere, I'm much better at that technique than any sort of pick activity. I still use thumb and first (and sometimes second) fingers for strumming. Obviously makes it difficult for any sort of quick picking. Has been helpful messing around with a pick on a uke, oddly.
easytoslip
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tatittle » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Related to this, I have not forayed much into the flatpick/fingerpicking techniques that I see Bobby doing often. Holding the flatpick b'tween my thumb and 1st finger reduces the mobility of my other fingers considerably. Its probably just like anything else in expanding one's versatility, patience and fortitude eventually develop into a new skill/technique. Its so satisfying for me to begin to get competent in playing styles that do not come naturally. Satisfaction of seeing ones effort begin to pay off. This particular technique may be best suited for larger bands where leaving open space for the other players is critical to a refined overall sound.
tatittle
Bobby
Bobby

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Previous

Return to Everything Else