Bisco & Umphrey's

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Postby Hajimemashite!!! » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:48 am

gratephulphish123 wrote:
Hajimemashite!!! wrote:
IamDocWatson wrote:i think they may be able to jam out and just keep playing and playing but their not making music man, the point is lost and it is just sooo boring

no thats moe.
total wankfest

moe is far and away more interesting than these other guys

Is that some sort of joke?
all moe. does is set up a boring chord progression then mess around over it. Not much musical value, good to dance to, but no musical goodness.

all they play is song > jam > song reprise
same formula everytime
they are extremely predictable
and its not even like their jams are different theyre all pretty much the same

I dunno. I like it. As a guitar player, I am a sucker for improv and guitar jams.
I am not sure how playing too much equates with not making music, but one man gathers what another man spills, I suppose. All 3 of these bands exhibit far more musicianship than 99% of the music thats out there. Jerry certainly has been critcized for "playing and playing" boring many listeners to tears. Just kinda what your into.

Im a guitar player as well and i love improv and guitar jams, but moe doesnt do either very well. Their "improv" is pretty much typical jamband bullshit of playing a 2 chord progression and they get louder as they go on.
moe. bores me to tears as a guitar player

im not saying playing too much makes it not music, its just that everything they play is meaninless, nothing special about it. theres nothing new or creative just that same stale jam that goes nowhere.

yes jerry "played and played" but so did the rest of the band and it wasnt like moe with just some simple chords while chuck and al play they same solos they play every night.
Dead could keep "playing and playing" but keep it interesting. So can umphreys(even more than the dead in my opinion), and the biscuits sometimes can too.
but not moe

woohoo im seein umphs in 2 weeks :cool:

ps now that i think about it all the people i know who are musicians or just people who really pay attention to the music like umphreys, because it is musically amazing and so much more exciting

moe is just a band to go dance to, umphs and shit is more for the music
Hajimemashite!!!
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby gumbo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:31 pm

agreed.
Feel free to give me some meaning.
gumbo
Brent
Brent

Postby jahozer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:08 pm

Its a bit subjective, though, ain't it?
I can and do say that UM bores me to tears, and find moe. more interesting just as quickly as you can and did say the opposite.

ps now that i think about it all the people i know who are musicians or just people who really pay attention to the music like umphreys, because it is musically amazing and so much more exciting

Whatever dude.
YOU ARE ON A GUITAR PLAYER SITE. You are talking to musicians.
It is quite possible to be technically proficient and boring...Ala Ywingwie Malmstein and the like.

All 3 of these bands have a formula. Moe. is long hard soloing, Bisco has that tension and release of rave music, and Umphreys' formula (other than being " musically amazing!" is to deconstruct parts of their jams into songs, changing styles on a dime and at times sounding like Ywingwie.
I think they are all pretty good musicians. Just different styles.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby confusions_prince » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:23 pm

I have a new aesthetic theory for concerts that does not deal with the actual music played but what goes on at a show. Mostly it proves that I have been reading too much.

Some of the detractors will enjoy the official name of the tour: D.U.M.B. (Disco Umphrey's McGee Biscuits)
"More then ever, the world needs love and the Grateful Dead!" -Vince
confusions_prince
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Hajimemashite!!! » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:29 am

It is quite possible to be technically proficient and boring...Ala Ywingwie Malmstein and the like.

yes yes im well aware
and i most defintely agree with yngwie being boring

umphreys is the first band ive found that can actually use their technical skills to do more than just run up and down scales like yngwie. they use their knowledge to help progress the music and improvise. I just see it as more exciting then solos over achord progression.

fuck this the internet made me kind of an ass
sry about my moe bitching
Hajimemashite!!!
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby jahozer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:41 am

meh,
no prob, dude. You like what you like. Me too. Just calling you out a little on the taste vs. ability issue. I get a little persnickity when the credibility of my ear is questioned. Its all good. rock on.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby smile_smile_smile » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:33 pm

both bands seem very cheesy (good word) and unsatisfying, now i say this with great restraint though because music is very personal and i say if you like them keep listening and enjoy yourself....my exp. is though when i first started listening to the dead i could get with every song immediately, and this is true with a lot of the music i like. even some music grows on me, but these bands have yet to do that, and i don't think will....and i have to say even if the dead and phish never existed i would still think these bands are terrible....so get anger, and keep listening if anything changes let me know. :D
golden rule: treat other people alright, other people will usually treat you cool.
smile_smile_smile
Mickey
Mickey

Postby Hajimemashite!!! » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:47 pm

Dude i saw umphreys for the first time without ever hearing them and they blew my mind. most of the music i have listened to since then been umphs.
Definitly not cheesy and unsatisfying at all
my umphlove will not die!
Hajimemashite!!!
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby smile_smile_smile » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:53 pm

thats good to know :x
golden rule: treat other people alright, other people will usually treat you cool.
smile_smile_smile
Mickey
Mickey

Postby gratephulphish123 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:39 pm

smile_smile_smile wrote:both bands seem very cheesy (good word) and unsatisfying, now i say this with great restraint though because music is very personal and i say if you like them keep listening and enjoy yourself....my exp. is though when i first started listening to the dead i could get with every song immediately, and this is true with a lot of the music i like. even some music grows on me, but these bands have yet to do that, and i don't think will....and i have to say even if the dead and phish never existed i would still think these bands are terrible....so get anger, and keep listening if anything changes let me know. :D

ok i accept this, phish and grateful dead are the best jam bands ever all others dont stack up, but i think i like moe because unlike umphree moe doesnt try to imitate these two bands in their jams
gratephulphish123

Postby Hajimemashite!!! » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:23 am

gratephulphish123 wrote:ok i accept this, phish and grateful dead are the best jam bands ever all others dont stack up, but i think i like moe because unlike umphree moe doesnt try to imitate these two bands in their jams

uh i don't think you've ever heard umphs if your saying they try and imitate the dead. I do think sometimes they have phish influence, but no way in hell to they sound remotley like the dead. moe sounds alot more like theyre imitating phish and dead.
Hajimemashite!!!
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby Prospector » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:45 am

Hajimemashite!!! wrote:
gratephulphish123 wrote:ok i accept this, phish and grateful dead are the best jam bands ever all others dont stack up, but i think i like moe because unlike umphree moe doesnt try to imitate these two bands in their jams

uh i don't think you've ever heard umphs if your saying they try and imitate the dead. I do think sometimes they have phish influence, but no way in hell to they sound remotley like the dead. moe sounds alot more like theyre imitating phish and dead.

trey sounds a lot more like jerry then either al or chuck or brendon or jake
Prospector
tiger
tiger

Previous

Return to Everything Else