Bisco & Umphrey's

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Bisco & Umphrey's

Postby confusions_prince » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:54 am

I'm going to see Bisco & Umphrey's a week from tomorrow. I don't really like the Bisco show I downloaded... Will it at least be fun?
"More then ever, the world needs love and the Grateful Dead!" -Vince
confusions_prince
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby IamDocWatson » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:03 am

if your idea of fun is listening to a bunch of garbage ass music by total loser kids....
or if your idea of fun is raving with kids in slanted baseball hats and baggy ankle length shorts and bubble vests

they both suck
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Re: Bisco & Umphrey's

Postby jjbankhead » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:05 am

confusions_prince wrote:I'm going to see Bisco & Umphrey's a week from tomorrow. I don't really like the Bisco show I downloaded... Will it at least be fun?

I saw Umphrey's open for PNF at the mardi gras show in 2005 and they blew me away...

so much energy and a quite gifted group of musicians, i have never seen The disco bisquits not much of a fan of their shows i have heard...

but umphrey's is a great show.
jjbankhead
Mickey
Mickey

Postby GreatNorthSpecial » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:11 am

Umm, the Biscuits rock. Umphrey's, not so much. Def. be a fun show though.
GreatNorthSpecial
tiger
tiger

Postby shakedown_04092 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:53 am

I like 'em both, though I do have a harder time getting into UM than DB. I don't think the guys in UM have good vocals, but whatever, neither do I. Both bands are filled with VERY talented musicians. My guess is you'll enjoy yourself. Both bands aren't everyones cup of tea, but appreciate the music for what it is. :cool: :smile:

And ouch, Doc! Harsh, man. :shock: :lol: I do believe you're profiling a little there. I know I don't like it when others profile me, so I try not to do it to others. But regarding their music, I wouldn't say it's garbage, nor do I think the "kids" in the band are losers, but I don't know them personally, so I can't say. But, to each his own. as they say.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby phreaker » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:36 am

People overlook the Bisco, I think. People blow them off for their vocals, but seriously, how many jambands make it big for their vocals? They kind of have a reputation...

Bisco can get into some crazy jazz jams, that's what drew me too them. I think some of their trance-ish stuff is ok. They've been doing that kind of music longer than most other bands in the "jam scene" have. With Bisco, IMO, it's a hit or miss kinda thing. For me, though it's mostly hit.

Check out Cyclone from 5-27-07 for a good electronica jam, or any version of Pat & Dex for some cool little jazz jams every once in a while.

But as I've said before; Sound Tribe takes the cake for electronica-based jam bands.
phreaker

Postby Hajimemashite!!! » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:29 pm

Hey guys I'm new here but I saw this topic and and to say something.

Bisco is pretty good. Their segues are flawless and they have a cool sound. Every since like 99 they have been becoming more and more electronic sounding.
Definetly good music for dancing, but musically can be a bit bland.

Umphrey's, however, is amazing. Definetely the best band around today. They seriously blow my mind everytime I listen to them. Very high level musicianship and VERY high energy. New sounds every night, never gets stale. Their jams are more structured than the rest of the jambands, but not meaning they just set up some chords and wank (a la moe.) but they kind of write new song outlines to jam over and then take it from there. Its more stuctured but still free to go wherever, its just a way from keeping jams from getting old and alike sounding, which is a MAJOR problem with jambands.

Umphrey's is my favorite band now.

Here's osme umphrey's show dl suggestions, all are available on the archive
12-3-2004
2-7-2004
7-6-2005
6-16-2006
4-21-2007

or if your idea of fun is raving with kids in slanted baseball hats and baggy ankle length shorts and bubble vests

hahahaha thats actually a pretty accurate description of bisco kids.
Hajimemashite!!!
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby BlobWeird » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:30 pm

Ill have to agree with Doc and a couple things and totally disagree on another. Umphree's I dont care for. like at all. Bisco I think are a great band with hugggee amounts of talent. With that said I hate the Bisco scene. Most of the kids that go to their shows are assholes. BUT if you can ignore all that then its a good show.
BlobWeird

Postby gratephulphish123 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:34 pm

yeah new jam bands have the trendiest jerks ever going to text each other and not listen to jams... what the hell?!?!
gratephulphish123

Postby IamDocWatson » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:41 pm

dont take anything i say too seriously i hate all this "jam band " music and i like to rant and rave
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Postby BlobWeird » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:31 pm

BlobWeird wrote:Ill have to agree with Doc on a couple things and totally disagree on another. Umphree's I dont care for. like at all. Bisco I think are a great band with hugggee amounts of talent. With that said I hate the Bisco scene. Most of the kids that go to their shows are assholes. BUT if you can ignore all that then its a good show.
BlobWeird

Postby confusions_prince » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:09 am

5/27 was the show I downloaded. I didn't get it.

Mixed reviews if ever there were any. I'll just have to wait and see...
"More then ever, the world needs love and the Grateful Dead!" -Vince
confusions_prince
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby jahozer » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:11 am

Both bands have very solid musicians. Umphreys are very technically proficient.
Bisco goes for the esoteric peaks found in electronic music.

I have seen them sometimes and have been very impressed, but at other times just not into it at all. Thats true with most jam bands, but with bisco it seems its one extreme or the other.
The fun part for me seeing them is how into it their fans are. Those kids LUUUUUUV their Bisco.

A friend of mine is actually good friends with the band so we usually get all access type stuff and he goes out and gives extras away. It blows these kids minds when my friend comes out with a laminate and hands a bisco kid a ticket telling him "Brownie wants him to have it"

They are some sketchy mother fuckers, though. Tree Thuggers. High as a kite on Molly. You can have fun going around putting curves in their hats...

Now Umphreys is a bit different. They are really phenomenal musicians. Been very impressed with them, but most times, just cant get into it. Its a bit too prog and metal for me. Its almost like they want to show how many different styles they can cram into a song. Their fans love em too. Their fans are young and a bit fratty, and the bisco kids make them look kike freakin choir boys.

But then again I am a bit of a moe,ron :twisted:
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best.- the girl from the bus
jahozer
Bobby
Bobby

Postby shakedown_04092 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:18 am

jahozer wrote:Both bands have very solid musicians. Umphreys are very technically proficient.
Bisco goes for the esoteric peaks found in electronic music.

I have seen them sometimes and have been very impressed, but at other times just not into it at all. Thats true with most jam bands, but with bisco it seems its one extreme or the other.
The fun part for me seeing them is how into it their fans are. Those kids LUUUUUUV their Bisco.

A friend of mine is actually good friends with the band so we usually get all access type stuff and he goes out and gives extras away. It blows these kids minds when my friend comes out with a laminate and hands a bisco kid a ticket telling him "Brownie wants him to have it"

They are some sketchy mother fuckers, though. Tree Thuggers. High as a kite on Molly. You can have fun going around putting curves in their hats...

Now Umphreys is a bit different. They are really phenomenal musicians. Been very impressed with them, but most times, just cant get into it. Its a bit too prog and metal for me. Its almost like they want to show how many different styles they can cram into a song. Their fans love em too. Their fans are young and a bit fratty, and the bisco kids make them look kike freakin choir boys.

But then again I am a bit of a moe,ron :twisted:

That's about as accurate an observation as you're gonna get right there.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby IamDocWatson » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:33 am

i think they may be able to jam out and just keep playing and playing but their not making music man, the point is lost and it is just sooo boring
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Next

Return to Everything Else