I'm having a baby

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

I'm having a baby

Postby chubbypony » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:53 pm

me and my girlfriend of three years found out today that she is pregnant. it was at first scary but then i realized i will be able to continue my education because my mother doesnt work and can watch the baby and my stepfather is my employer and is flexiable with my hours. but then i started thinking about names and im asking for a little input from you guys out there. i need some ideas
chubbypony
TC
TC

Postby ronster » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:13 pm

Congrats, kids are pretty cool. My oldest graduates from high school this friday and will going to Tulane next year. Enjoy. As far as names go, something along the lines of Chubbypony would get your kid pretty pissed of at you when he or she grows up.
ronster
Bobby
Bobby

Postby cuznt » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:49 am

also congrats
my son is 17 and daughter 22
whomever said they grow up fast did not have a gemini for a son... and that is coming from a gemini dad. heh. ( i know how my mother got her grey hairs.)

here is a start
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=210527

top boys and girls used in the last 5 years.
Jacob 159973 and Emily 122245
I think an uncommon name that is not odd. try not to get a too rhyming type name, like cora or dora. try not to embarrass your child later in life by giving them a very uncool name. while i think Lucien is kind of neat my Father hated it. And my Grandmother hated Cora. Do you like your name? I did not like mine. Dave's not here has grown very very thin.. but you know i knida of grew into it, so to speak... and I am comfortable now.

remember she is gonna have some serious hormones raging in her body. you think pms is rough?
show her how much you dig her
http://www.greatdad.com/tertiary/44/433 ... -care.html

due to circumstances and me deciding that i did not want to be a sewer worker anymore, instead of retraining me, NY State paid me for a year and a half at the time to stay home and care for my children. It was the best dad years of my life. I miss that part. Something kind of awesome being that part of your childs life.
cuznt
Keith
Keith

Postby d-v-s » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:54 am

chubby,
i don't know you at all, and perhaps RUKind is not the best place to have this discussion, but as a concerned indivual, I have to ask - r u serious?? dude - you're only 17/18, still in school, not married, not sure about the kid. in case you didn't see the sign on the way past. BIG MISTAKE.

I don't wanna come off like a dad here, but you gotta think this one thru. Speaking as a person who just had my first baby 6 months ago, I can tell you that baby = end of life! it's a huge drain on your life, energy, and most importantly wallet!

Don't expect your mother to raise your baby, either. That's not gonna fly. Mom'll get tired of that real fast, and then where will you be? My mother-in-law is one of the most motherly people in the world, and would do anything for her kids, but she didn't last 6 months just helping out with the kid - never mind raising it on her own, while you're off at school, working, partying, etc.

I don't wanna burst your bubble, but u should know what you're diving into. think it thru. if you n your girlfriend are certian you want the kid, then god bless you (and your baby), and good luck with next few years.

ps - picking out a name for your baby is tough! We didn't decide on one until 2 days after the birth. How do you name someone you've never met or seen before??
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby amyjared » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:20 am

Yeah, kids can be tough, but it can be great, too. Think it through and do what you think is right. I have two kids, age 5 and 2 and they are the best thing to ever happen to me, but I waited until I was married for several years (it puts a huge strain on any relationship) and I waited until I was 38. That's just me. My dad had me and my bro at around 21. He then was divored and had some kids with his new wife when he was older. I talked with him about it and he said the only thing about having kids young was that he had a lot more energy. He was a shitty father to me, but was great to his other kids because he was older and wiser. Again, this is just what worked for me.
As for names, I live in a place where kids have some crazy names. I also teach, so I see a lot of kids with interesting names. I went for some older names that I thought should be brought back: Sadie and Nora. But it was a long process and we ruled out a lot of other names for weird reasons ("I hated this kid down the street when I was growing up and he had that name", etc.) Get on the web or one of those books and just keep writing down ones you like. A friend suggested I go out on the back porch and scream a name several times, to make sure it works. I liked that advice, because you're going to be using that name a lot! Good luck with it all (oh and check out babycenter.com, if you haven't already)
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:29 am

As one whose girlfriend is now 7 months pregnant with our first, I can already attest to the fact that your entire world will be altered... I've never ever been this busy with so many things to get done... gotta go!!!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby phpbb » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:35 am

tigerstrat wrote:As one whose girlfriend is now 7 months pregnant with our first, I can already attest to the fact that your entire world will be altered... I've never ever been this busy with so many things to get done... gotta go!!!

and that's just to get you ready for when the kid is born and you REALLY are too busy to get so many things done.
phpbb

Postby squire758 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:30 am

since we're talkin about babies i have to tell you all what a moron i am. my sister just had my nephew like a couple weeks ago. when he was born we all went to the hospital to see, and me being not very knowledgable on child birth didnt know that babies heads arent completely developed yet. so i seen him and thought to myself "oh man, christina must be mad or sad or whatever that he didnt come out "perfect" cause she was so excited like any other soon to be mom and im sure she had high expectations" so later i mentioned it to my mom and she explained the whole thing about the part of the head that grows in and all that, i was relieved, not that it would devalue his life any but more than anything i felt soooo stupid. just thought id put that out there :D
squire758
Jester
Jester

Postby confusions_prince » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:47 am

amyjared wrote:A friend suggested I go out on the back porch and scream a name several times, to make sure it works. I liked that advice, because you're going to be using that name a lot! Good luck with it all

Please call your kid by his first name. And make it one most people can spell.
"More then ever, the world needs love and the Grateful Dead!" -Vince
confusions_prince
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby chubbypony » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:31 pm

i dont want to sound like a jerk when i say this, but i come from alot of money. my mother will be able to help out enough and then my girlfriend can also raise it. she doesnt go to school so she can be a stay at home mom. I understand my whole world will be turned upside down but I believe i am in a lot better place then most teenage fathers.
chubbypony
TC
TC

Postby ebick » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:16 pm

Well, that's cool, and certainly makes a difference.....but I think you have a lot more important things to be thinking about right now. Plenty of time to come up with a name.
Ed

First Show - 5/5/77
Last Show - 3/28/93
ebick

Postby mikenohio » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:00 pm

I found the initial lifestyle change occurred when my wife got pregnant. We stopped going to the pub every night and started spending a lot more time at home. By the time the baby arrived, my mindset/lifestyle was already rearranged.

Things have actually started getting busier in the last year since they are both starting to get more active in various activities.

We named our second child Keira Celeste (last name Jones). First one is named Haley... We definiately tried to go for somewhat unique names considering the common last name... Although Haley is farily common these days...

Good luck and have fun!!
mikenohio
tiger
tiger

Postby gratephulphish123 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:04 pm

hmm well have you thought about maybe jerry... lol just kiddin that's like naming a baby jesus, pretty high expectations come with the name
gratephulphish123

Postby BigJilm » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:53 pm

my mom n stepdads best friends (who r huge phish and deadheads) named their kid Trey. He's annoying
BigJilm
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby chubbypony » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:30 pm

we have actually talked about Sunshine Melissa for a girl and Skydog Duane for a boy. my girlfriend loves the allmans and those names are cool with me
chubbypony
TC
TC

Next

Return to Everything Else