Did Jer hang w/ Heads? What's the deal w/ Manasha?

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Re: Did Jer hang w/ Heads? What's the deal w/ Manasha?

Postby mikelawson » Mon May 05, 2014 9:40 pm

I met Jerry in 1995 at The Pyramid in Memphis, TN. Short version of the story is that I was taking a Super 400 Gibson acoustic to Weir. McNally meets me at the statue of Ramses outside the venue, and walks me in the back. Bob greets me, excited by getting a guitar comparable to Jerry's Gibson LeGrande. He sees Jerry in the hall talking to Parish, says, "Come on, let's show Jerry." I am, of course, about to piss myself. We walk up to Jerry, who is engrossed in conversation with Parish. They don't even acknowledge we are standing there. Standing next to Parish, Jerry looked pretty short, but I guess we all would. I was surprised that I was a couple of inches taller than this giant of a musician I'd always looked up to.

Bob taps Jerry's shoulder, and says, "Hey Jerry, wanna see something cool?"

Jerry keeps ignoring us.

Bob does it at least two more times, tapping Jerry's shoulder, "Hey Jerry, wanna see something cool? Wanna see something cool, Jerry?"

At this point I'm having visions of that small dog in the Warner Bros cartoon trying to get the bulldog Spike's attention saying, "Wanna play ball, Spike, wanna play ball?" I'm thinking to myself, "Oh no, this is NOT supposed to happen like this, in some alternate universe, Jerry is supposed to turn around and say, "Yeah, Bobby, what ya got?" then lead us into a dressing room where he loves the guitar and plays some licks as I worship adoringly. Well, instead is was.....

"No Bobby, I don't wanna see something cool. Why would I wanna see something cool, Bobby?" Jerry looks at me, my voice cracking I stick my hand out to shake the hand that shook the hand and manage to get out, "Hi Jerry." Jerry shakes my hand. Well, sort of. I shook his hand. He stuck his out and gave the old wet noodle, cold fish handshake. He looked at me and said, "Hi!" as our hands met. I was in a bit of shock, thinking, "Wow, I finally get to meet Jerry and Weir went and interrupted him and it went like that. Damn!" Then I remembered that there were 25,000 people outside who would have given anything to get that wet noodle handshake.

I saw him in Memphis, then saw him in the hall backstage in Birmingham, AL a couple of nights later as he was hurrying down the hall past my wife and I. This time he just looked over at us as he walked by. One thing I could not help but notice both times was how bad he looked up close. He looked exhausted. His hair was stringy and dirty looking, not that puffed out unmanageable hair of earlier years, it was straight, flat. His eyes looked a bit sunken. His cheeks were like the jowls of Droopy Dog. He did not look like a man about to turn 53 in a few months, he looked like a man about to turn 73.

I cherish the memory of meeting him, I realize how lucky I was to be there, in the same room and to get a "Hi" from the guy. But I've always been haunted by how he looked those nights.

The guitar I took Bob had to have some mods done to it, so I took it home to Nashville after those shows were over. Months later, I drove it to Bob at Deer Creek, to hand deliver it. Unfortunately the day I chose to take it to him was the show the day after the riots. I drove six hours to get there, checked into my room, got a call from Weir that said, "Well its real unfortunate but the show's been canceled and we're getting on a plane in a few hours and getting out of here. Can you just bring it over to the hotel?" So, I did, again, trying to remember how many thousands of people would have been happy to drive six hours to take a guitar to Grateful Dead. My chance to get a do-over intro to Jerry didn't get to happen at the show either. Oh well, McNally told me I was on the "tickets for life club" list now, so I figured I'd have more chances. A few months later, Jerry is dead.

I never thought I'd see that Super 400 again. Then I ended up moving to San Francisco were I started publishing books on audio recording and music production. I hired McNally's wife to shoot book cover photos for me. She took me to Weir's house on Mt Tam in Mill Valley to his home studio, the room where the Dead had worked on Estimated Prophet, and the shelves were lined with 2" multi tracks of all kinds of SF bay area bands who had come to Bob's home studio to record. And there it was, all dusty, sitting out in the open, leaning against the wall, right next to the ES335 Bob had stopped playing years ago when he went through his graphite neck phase. You can see it in this shot of the book cover shot by Susana Millman.

mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby HeadSpace » Tue May 06, 2014 8:33 am

Great tales, thanks!
HeadSpace
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby mkaufman » Tue May 06, 2014 6:50 pm

I can't believe that 335 is just sitting out there in the open like that.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby tatittle » Wed May 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Looks like a lighter color sunburst than the dark tobacco color Im accustomed to.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby mikelawson » Wed May 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Its the same guitar, could just be the lighting and how the photo was used. To the left of the Super 400 you can also see a tele with a graphite neck. There were guitars laying in most of the spots against the wall, as you can kind of see some of them, like a P Bass, a Dobro, and others. I was just grateful Weir didn't want me to get him a Super 400 with a graphite neck. :-)

Anyway, it was cool to get to go to his home, visit that home studio and see that Super 400 again, and to see it next to the 335 I've seen in so many photos from years past. The mixing console was cool, too You can kind of see the big-ass IBM 286 that would have been used in the studio, solely to control the automation on the console, which was a rare and expensive toy to have when that board was installed. Another cool thing, if you look at the photo, is that Bob had all this track installed dropping down from the ceiling. Running along those tracks were these accordion arms that had mounts for microphones and a personal mixer to control one's own headphone mix, or to hang a vocal mike in your face without needing mike stands to clutter up the room. It was not a huge studio, I recall two or three iso rooms across from the console, like for drums, vocals, etc. and tape storage. The tapes had all kinds of bay area people on them, I even recall seeing reels from Huey Lewis in there. It was a unique experience, to say the least.

:hail:
mikelawson
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby tatittle » Fri May 09, 2014 12:44 pm

I always liked Huey Lewis :P Probably more cause he seems to have a great humble personality than the music, though if I went back and looked at the songs Im sure their well written, especially for pop songs. I liked an interview where he said that during his string of #1 hits they always knew they weren't the best band around or anything.
tatittle
Jerry
Jerry

Location: NJ via Bklyn; Detroit; Charleston; Boulder; Miami; D.C.; etc

Postby Bobbybriand » Thu May 15, 2014 7:37 pm

aiq wrote:Curiousity is a natural thing but I feel the less you know about a musician hero's personal life, the better.

I've read the books too but always with a grain of salt.

At the end of the day It is all about the music for me.

Amen to that !!!!!!!
That's half the reason jer kept going back to H and other class A's. Masses of fans then paparazzi and the way they demean peoples lives who don't do anything to deserve it. I didn't and don't need to know what time of the day Jerry took a crap if ya know what I mean. I cared about his playin and listening to him unleash the endless varieties and variations of his songs. Sure I cared about his health as every head did who could see how jer was feelin lookin at shows. The poor dude had fbi guarding him on the tour of death. They had to tell him there were threats against him. He already had enough nerve damage from having a gorilla on his back plus stage fright and then looking out at 40g stadium shows thinking someone has a gun.
A-holes at TMZ had another clip of bob coming out just after waking up asking him all kinds of questions and then they went on to say stay off drugs kids see what I mean. Not too many individuals could do what the dead did being on the road all year takes a heavy toll on your body alone not even counting the parties. It's on utube somewhere those guys disgust me.
Bobbybriand
Donna
Donna

Postby Searing75 » Sat May 17, 2014 6:31 am

I just finished Rock Scully's book, Living With The Dead. I knew the drugs were used, but I did not realize how important they were to Jerry. The way Scully's portrays him aI a total feign, and the music was secondary, if that. Music was fourth to drugs, ice cream, and a dark room.

I wonder though, if Scully's is trying to say " see. I was not that bad. Jerry was was just as bad as me". To cover his ass for being a total dope head.

Dis enchanting for sure, but the music was still wonderful!

Poor guy. He obviously had some real mental health issues. Maybe even on the spectrum. The autism spectrum that is.

Chris
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Previous

Return to Everything Else