Television

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Television

Postby CaptainTrips » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:02 pm

Has anyone here heard anything by the New York City progressive punk group, Television? I got into some the other day and it amazed me. The rhythm and the lead intertwine so well, the only music Ive ever heard besides the dead where I could say that. And it is said that the main/lead guitarist, Tom Verlaine has a style thats so unique and that the only guitarist that comes close to his style is Garcia, and that Verlaine was probably influenced to a degree by Garcia. He plays some awesome guitar, I can definitely hear Jerry in there. Anyone else heard of them? And if you havent you should look into some of their music. I suggest the album Marquee Moon.
CaptainTrips

Postby LazyLightnin » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:32 am

definetly heard the album dude! great couple tunes on there. we've jammed that really catchy song from that album, i cant remember the name of the tune, maybe also the name of the album, but ya easy tune to jam, and fun.
LazyLightnin

Postby CaptainTrips » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:59 pm

yeah the title track Marquee Moon is outstanding, its like a nice ten minute jam. I just played it the other day and picked up my strat and it is so easy to play. good music.
CaptainTrips

Postby LazyLightnin » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:30 am

really really fun groove, specially with the band, you cant help but shake yer bones to that bassline. im dl'ing right now, finally found the whole album. i totally forgot about Richard Hell.
LazyLightnin

Postby amyjared » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:11 am

Total Television fan! I've been into them since I saw them back in NY. Tom Verlaine was friends with Patti Smith, who is a huge fan of the Dead. Marquee Moon is definately one of the greatest albums of all time. If you listen to it, you can totally hear how the Talking Heads got their sound. Richard Lloyd is amazing also. For those of you who are into music theory, check out his website. Go to the Questions page. He explains why the guitar is tuned the way it is, the circle of fifths, etc. He's incredible. In fact, he just started writing for Guitar World, the cheesy mag that has tab in it. The band totally jams and the funny thing is, they were considered punk and punk was all about the 2 minute song and no solos and they come along and go, no way, you can be punk and still jam! They rule. I even have a tab of Marquee Moon from Total Guitar (out of England) that includes a cd of backing tracks. Fun to play.
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby shakedown_04092 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:34 am

amyjared wrote:Total Television fan! I've been into them since I saw them back in NY. Tom Verlaine was friends with Patti Smith, who is a huge fan of the Dead. Marquee Moon is definately one of the greatest albums of all time. If you listen to it, you can totally hear how the Talking Heads got their sound. Richard Lloyd is amazing also. For those of you who are into music theory, check out his website. Go to the Questions page. He explains why the guitar is tuned the way it is, the circle of fifths, etc. He's incredible. In fact, he just started writing for Guitar World, the cheesy mag that has tab in it. The band totally jams and the funny thing is, they were considered punk and punk was all about the 2 minute song and no solos and they come along and go, no way, you can be punk and still jam! They rule. I even have a tab of Marquee Moon from Total Guitar (out of England) that includes a cd of backing tracks. Fun to play.

Jared - thanks for the recommondation to Lloyd's website - great stuff in there and he really explains it well.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Return to Everything Else