Must have Jazz & Blues albums

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Must have Jazz & Blues albums

Postby caspersvapors » Tue May 29, 2007 7:27 pm

Im talking the older classic stuff that everyone must own. The only Jazz album I have is kind of blue and the only blues stuff I have are from the famous white musicians (Clapton, SRV, etc.) so if you guys got any recs please post em up!
caspersvapors

Postby Crazy 9.5 Fingers » Tue May 29, 2007 8:21 pm

Vapors this is going to be a juicy thread. I am good for at least ten posts. These are just a few for the jazz category to get the ball rolling.

Jazz

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
- Giant Steps
- Live at Birdland

Donald Byrd - Kofi (maybe the nastiest album of all time)
- Electric Byrd

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
- Tribute to Jack Johnson ( I just noticed this album is on I tunes for $1.99, this would be about the best $1.99 you would ever spend, trust me on this one!

(note that both albums feature the Mahavishnu John McLaughlin whom I regard as the Michael Jordan of guitar)

Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer
- Speak No Evil

Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery
- Full House
There are only two mantras. Yum and yuk. Mine's yum.
Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Postby d-v-s » Wed May 30, 2007 12:51 am

Great question - I'm looking forward to seeing some of the posts to come, as I could always look to expand my collection.

Jazz:
I second all of the Coltrane and Davis recommendations from 9.5 fingers. I haven't heard the rest of his recommendations, so I can't say anything about them. Bitches Brew is a classic. I also have a great album "Miles and Coltrane" of the 2 jamming together. It's sweet!

If u haven't seen the movie "Sweet and Lowdown" check it out (also pick up the soundtrack). Sean Penn plays this deadbeat jazz guitarist in the 30's-40's. I'm not a big Penn fan, but he was great in this movie, and the soundtrack is awesome. The guitarist on the soundtrack is a guy names Howard Alden. I just started collecting old Alden material, but here's a good one:
Concord Jazz guitar collective - live recording w/ Howard Alden, Frank Vignola, and Jimmy Bruno on guitars + back-up band

Stanley Clarke (jazz bass guitarist) - Live (1976-1977)

Thelonious Monk - Monk's greatest hits

These 2 aren't really old, but worth mentioning:

Dave Bruebeck quartet - Time Out

Charlie Hunter - I only own one of his albums "Duo", but if you get a chance to see him live, he's awesome. he plays an 8 string guitar (2 lower bass strings) and plays the bass and the lead guitar all by himself. Words cannot express it - you gotta see it live.

I'll drop back in with some blues recommendations later.
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby strumminsix » Wed May 30, 2007 5:36 am

strumminsix

Postby Robey » Wed May 30, 2007 6:09 am

My favorite jazz album of all time is Tina Brooks' True Blue. A hard bop classic and just such memorable melodies. It's been Van Gelderized. One of the classic blue note covers to boot.
Robey
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby quonce » Wed May 30, 2007 7:03 am

Anything Coltrane or Davis, but Ill throw a newer one out there.

Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood - Out Louder

or even better

John Scofield - A Go Go (which actually has Medeski Martin & Wood as the studio band. Sick!)
Quonce

"There is no success like failure, and failure is no success at all"
quonce
tiger
tiger

Postby d-v-s » Wed May 30, 2007 7:15 am

quonce wrote:John Scofield - A Go Go (which actually has Medeski Martin & Wood as the studio band. Sick!)

Wow, I didn't know that MMW was the back up band for A Go Go. Nice piece of info. I agree that this is a sick album. Super smooth grooves.

Strummin - good call with M. Davis' "Kind of Blue". I knew there was one MD album that I was forgetting. Seems I lost my copy - or one of my friends "borrowed" it. This was always my favorite MD album.
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby IamDocWatson » Wed May 30, 2007 7:26 am

every django album and every wes montgomery album
"Octaves full of voices, sweet voices belie"
IamDocWatson
Phil
Phil

Postby hobbsy » Wed May 30, 2007 8:04 am

I can't recall album titles but try Charlie Parker, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, BB King, Howlin' Wolf, Ray Charles, Lightnin Hopkins. Pretty much can't go wrong with any of their stuff...
hobbsy
Brent
Brent

Postby jck_strw » Wed May 30, 2007 8:33 am

I'm not really a jazz guy. I have the obligatory Kind of Blue and a couple of weeks ago I picked up Bitches Brew. They're both very interesting, but for some reason jazz never grabs me. Maybe I'm listening to the wrong stuff. I'll check out some recommendations in this thread.

But blues! I can heartily recommend two Paul Butterfield Blues albums--the first one (self-titled) and East-West.

Let me get some more coffee and ponder this.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby ronster » Wed May 30, 2007 8:49 am

John Mayall - jazz blues fusion
Charlie Mingus - blues and roots
McCoy Tyner - Infinity
Coltrane - Giant steps or best of
Muddy Waters - London Sessions, best of, or fathers and sons
Roy Buchanan - Anthology
Professor Longhair - Anthology
John Mooney - Testimony
Bruebeck - Time out or best of
Sonny Rollins
Rev Gary Davis
ronster
Bobby
Bobby

Postby lostsailor8782 » Wed May 30, 2007 8:52 am

any Bob Weir friend should check out this cat ... his name is McCoy Tyner, considered a hard pop pianist ... Bobby names him as his biggest influence to his style ... the guy is a master at phrasing with chords and so forth ... much like our boy Bobstar .... also Chick Corea ... if you can find any of the electic band stuff ... think he changes the spelling of electric somehow ... but he played with a four piece , I believe it is The Chick Corea Elektric Band ...the 1986 release has him playing with an unbelievable line up ...John Patitucci on bass, Dave Weckl on drums, Frank Gambale on guitar ... this album really rocks !!!!!!!! There was also a TV video they used to show of the four of them on PBS
I only smoke it when I am awake... I promise
lostsailor8782
Bear
Bear

Postby whitelacestrange » Wed May 30, 2007 10:14 am

i've been getting into alot of stuff by Weather Report, and its members, notably Jaco Pastorius and Wayne Shorter
we must become ourselves before someone else does
- Robert Hunter
whitelacestrange
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby gratephulphish123 » Wed May 30, 2007 1:37 pm

well from the semi modern jazz world frank zappas really good, if you can get past how weird all the songs are, louie armstrongs pretty great in addition to davis
gratephulphish123

Postby tigerstrat » Wed May 30, 2007 1:47 pm

top of my head,

Weather Report Mr. Gone

and while we are on Jaco...

Joni Mitchell Don Juan's Reckless Daughter
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Next

Return to Everything Else