Jerry and religion

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Postby jck_strw » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:44 am

weedar wrote:Submitted for your approval:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Bahadur_Bomjon

He's a young man who is thought to become a buddha, he has
stated he is not ready yet so he will meditate for some years.
He stated he would come back around 2011-2012! Coincidence?
I think not.

Interesting. I read the article and my theory is...he went on tour. :)
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby d-v-s » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:58 am

weedar wrote:He's a young man who is thought to become a buddha, he has
stated he is not ready yet so he will meditate for some years.
He stated he would come back around 2011-2012! Coincidence?
I think not.

:shock:

all the pieces are starting to fit together now.
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby mttourpro » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:29 am

Here's a link to the "solar" piece...there's a ton of stuff out there of you google the date.

as for the buddha on tour, I'm sure he's catching some etherial jerry riffs...practicing up before he comes back to jam at the rapture

http://www.december212012.com/articles/ ... ndex.shtml
http://www.thecausejams.com

let your life proceed by its own design....
mttourpro

Postby Erictw83 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:34 am

Don't know about the maya stuff exactly, but the earth's magnetic poles do flip naturally every few hundred thousand years. Check this article if interested
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... _flip.html

It doesn't mention this in the article but a saw a NOVA special talking about the earth's magnetic field, and scientist believe that the field may be starting to flip... however it does so very slowly and wouldn't fully flip for a few thousand years.
Erictw83
Brent
Brent

Postby BuddhaG » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:01 pm

i am definitley throwing a party the night before - gettin' wasted and hoping that the morning comes.

invite all your friends over for armageddon
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Postby BigJilm » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:05 pm

i think that just about all religion is a mostly futile attempt to explain the unexplainable. There are many great mysteries of the universe that mankind has tried to understand and define since the beginning of our existence, but religions forcefully assert that the ponderings that spawned them are the answer. I do not think that it is conceivable that any religion can ever articulate what is really going on, because there is no way to know, and know way to prove it. Instead of assuming that we have the absolute truth, I think we should all just acknowledge that there are great forces at work in this universe that we will probably never understand. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't examine these mysteries or harbor spiritual feelings, but that we should always THINK, and never KNOW, because thats when things break down.
BigJilm
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby BlobWeird » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:25 pm

phpbb wrote:Jerry: Sure, I'll go along with that - I love that stuff. I'm a Terence McKenna fan. I prefer to believe that we're winding up rather than winding down. And this idea of the 2012 when everything tops out, well, I would love to be here for it. I'll buy into that belief - I don't want to miss it! It's like the millennium. At this point it's a matter of personal pride. We have to survive. The band has to be able to play to at least the turn of the millennium."

http://www.levity.com/mavericks/garcia.htm

breaks my heart to know that he didnt get to stick around for the millenium and that his wish of havin the band last that long didnt happen :(. I mean sure "The Dead" made it but it really shouldve been THE Grateful Dead. Makes ya wanna shed a tear for the old man
BlobWeird

Postby d-v-s » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:59 am

BigJilm wrote:i think that just about all religion is a mostly futile attempt to explain the unexplainable.

Big, these days it sure seems that way, but you must really look at the origin of these religions and take into consideration what was going on in the world at that time. At the time that most of the major religions came into being, the middle east was a place of ignorant pagans doing whatever the heck they wanted (unfortunately not much has changed, except the pagan part). Religions like Christianity, and Islam came about and taught people the importance of cleanliness, being kind to others, taking time out of the day to relax, breathe deeply, give thanks, do unto others, etc. To a certain extent, religions kept the human race going in a time of plagues and pestilence.

The major downfall of religion is it's inability to adapt and evolve. The world is a much different place now than it was 2000 years ago. Though a lot of the messages remain the same, a lot are outdated.
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby BuddhaG » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:27 am

i guess the main point is that written religion seems to be the endpoint of the whole discussion on existence and human behavior, responsibility, etc. while in reality one religion is just one slice of the cake. i believe that true faith is inside of each and every one of us and not something that comes from a teacher, though that may facilitate the process. if you want to define religion, go back and study every single theory of the creation of the world starting from the earliest written documents... go and study every spiritual writing from every region of the earth, put them together, and maybe you'll have something close to an idea of God. but none of it will be true unless you know how to apply it and live it. you don't have to be the smartest person alive to be the holiest or whatever word you want to use to describe Kind Behavior.

i find it pretty funny and actually really fitting to talk about this kind of stuff on a Grateful Dead website, it is only appropriate considering the kind of experiences most of us have had on hallucinogens and the music of the dead, or maybe its just that those are the circumstances that bring it all out into the open. in any case, let the karma wheel roll freely and don't be afraid.

edit: oh yeah, and read some Alan Watts, this guy is a philospher in his own right and puts very complex things in simple terms most people can understand.
a whole new gameball
BuddhaG
Bear
Bear

Postby Shaggy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:09 pm

The overall ethos of the grateful dead environment for a great many was seen as a religion in itself. A great show could be a spiritual event, with or without drugs. I know for example HST didn't believe you could get high without drugs but I believe you can. The power of nature on our senses is the greatest example of this.

So in many ways those that never "got" the whole Grateful Dead "thing" amd those that don't believe in any religion or get "it", both are experiencing a similar thing looking on.

One of the biggest things that holds man back is his lack of an open mind when it comes to dealing with ideas and thoughts that he doesn't fully understand, or can be easily explained in a logical manner.

Jerry was probably the most open minded guy you could ever wish to meet.
Shaggy

Postby BigJilm » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:34 pm

I think that the psychedelic experience has given me far more insight into the true workings of the universe than any sermon ever has. It just becomes that like, you begin to realize all the microcosms and analogies within this universe. Just like the beautifulpatterns you visualize in the midst of a trip, you begin to notice the infinitely complex organization of it all. I have recently been pondering the idea that every single process that occurs in this universe; both physical and abstract; from the most molecular changes to the most cosmic, are all analogous to each other in some way. Within every situation, I believe it is possible to find microcosms of other things occurring on a much greater scale. It is as if the universe is one great pattern with infinite patterns within it and outside of it, and infinite patterns within all of those, and so on. The universe is just a massive paradox.It is possible to find evidence of this theory all around you in everything that you do. For instance, in chemistry, nature favors entropy and low potential energy. However, I believe those laws apply not only to chemistry, but to the whole universe. There are plenty of examples of this within politics, society, and our own lives. Perhaps this is why mankind has consistently failed to create the perfect government; if government was perfected, there would be world order, but the great laws of the universe do not allow that to happen. Natures wants disorder. Perhaps this is also why no empire has ever stood the test of time. Throughout history, it has been shown time after time that when a nation becomes too powerful, it crumbles. It has happened before to the Roman Empire, Napoleonic France, the U.S.S.R., and Nazi Germany. Nature works against high potential energy. Even the stars do not last forever; they run out of hydrogen, become too massive to sustain, and collapse upon themselves.There are analogies to everything happening in society and the universe everywhere. Simply look at the way youth cliques interact with each other; it very much mirrors the way our society works. If you keep an eye out for these types of similarities, you will begin to realize the interconnectedness and infinitely complex organization of everything within this universe.
BigJilm
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby d-v-s » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:51 am

BigJilm,
that was quite profound and a very interesting observation IMO. "Nature works against high potential energy." Indeed it does. great examples, as well.

just want to go back to my original question about Jerry and gospel. I found some info in the book that came with the "All Good Things" boxset.

Quote Donna: "at the time, we were collecting and listening to all this black gospel music - from Doroth Love Coates to The Bling Boys of Alabama to the Abyssinian Baptist Chrusch Choir; the real, true, raw gsopel music ... before it became sort of refined and safe."

It looks to me like they were just in it for the pure musical aspect of it - the spirit of the music.
d-v-s
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby seven » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:31 am

This is my first post, this topic had to make me get on forum. All this talk about if jerry like Catz under the stars. I am only 21 years old got in to jerry and the boys a couple of years. Jerry and them have touched me in my soul in a way, no other band can. Tell me you don't feel it when you step on the lot? If you look in the book that comes with that album, it takes about how it was one of jerry's favorite albums. It also says he was disappointed on people reactions to the album, low sells. Crazy what you can learn when you read. It talks about their spirtualy travel in phils book. Also mentions about part of the phocehies that they started. It is a band that comes to eygpt and plays during a lunar/or solar eclipse. Which the local tribes come to and dance. Didn't the dead play there? Always said they were a band beyond despription. Mayan prophocies is a total subject. I could talk about it forever and all the other ones. Its not a doomsday, 2012 is when the world will live in peace. I want to be there too. The question always was "Are you kind". i don't know i guess i am a crazy hippy already lol. sorry for the spelling been up all right
seven
welcome
welcome

Postby Erictw83 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 am

BigJim,

Absolutely beautifully put! Your analysis of the psychedelic experience is totally on point. It was one particular psychedelic summer of my own which changed the course of my life forever, prompting me to start studying science. Though science may seem cold, far from the spiritual/psychedelic etc, through the scientific the remarkably patterning and interconnectedness of the universe is revealed in its all glory. Everything is so beautifully simple yet astounding complex, but all is beautiful. Somehow, all this chaos makes prefect sense, though full comprehension will eternally lie just outside the grasp of man.
Erictw83
Brent
Brent

Postby BigJilm » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:17 pm

I know exactly what you mean, I very much enjoy learning about chemistry, astronomy, and just about all sciences. I also have a lot of interest in world history; I think they all teach you very much about the natural order of the universe. I may even consider majoring in chemistry if my dreams to be a musician/artist don't work out.
BigJilm
Pigpen
Pigpen

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else