Buying on eBay... ????

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Buying on eBay... ????

Postby strumminsix » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:03 am

Has anyone else seen the trend of people not allowing paypal and only accepting postal money orders? WTF? Seriously, how could anyone do this?
strumminsix

Postby bodiddley » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:16 am

I'm not very familiar with it. All I know is that lately there are a lot of credit card/identity theft scams going on at E-Bay esp. from other countries. Maybe this is a way to help curb that.
bodiddley

Postby amyjared » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:18 am

I've noticed it. I've bought plenty of stuff, but haven't sold anything on ebay. Does Paypal charge you to sell? Or are they difficult to deal with to get payments? I've used them to buy and it's been great. Not sure what prompts this. They've even saved my ass when I was buying an amp and it fell through. They credited my money back and backed me out of the deal before I even knew it wasn't on the up and up. I was totally relieved and glad I used them!

My beef with ebay is the postage. I buy a lot of dvd's and music books and such and people will offer them for cheap but then postage is like half price of the DVD/book, so it's a scam to make people think it's cheaper when you actually pay more with the postage/handling! Pisses me off!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby strumminsix » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:38 am

PP saved me too on a preamp sale that went ugly!

Yes, the do charge the seller something like 2% but really isn't it worth it to have your $$$ immediately and finish a transaction vs. waiting a week for a check and then ship the item and the buyer gets it a week after??!? 2 weeks total?
strumminsix

EBAY SCAMS - Beware

Postby Laytonco » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:43 am

Stummin,
NEVER EVER EVER send a money order, exspcially out of country. That is one of the biggest and oldest scams on Ebay. Money Orders are cash. You never would have recourse. Most everyone uses Paypal and they are your legit sellers. Good luck, but money order + out of counrty = me being worried you are getting taken.

Thanks,

Gil
Laytonco

Postby strumminsix » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:04 pm

Thanks, Gil! Never would but am surprised to see so many sellers asking for it.
strumminsix

Postby BlobWeird » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:29 pm

Hmm I use ebay quite a bit and have never seen a seller not allow Paypal. If they didnt allow it though I would certainly look elsewhere. I trust Paypal not the people on Ebay. And I believe paypal doesnt charge you for selling but Ebay does. I believe the correct amount is 5%.

amyjared: you might wanna try using Amazon if you dont already. They are great for media. They have used selections too for reallllly cheap stuff.
BlobWeird

Postby ronster » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:39 pm

If you stick with people that use paypal and list their postage up front then ebay is great. The scammers tend not to. I think what you are seeing is that more people are trying to take advantage of the system (or other people) so more people are not offering paypal. For used books, CD's, and DVD's and almost anything new I find Amazon to be simpler and just as good as deals. Amazon has no shipping charge on most items.
ronster
Bobby
Bobby

Postby BlobWeird » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:45 pm

Oh one more thing about Ebay. Make sure you check their feedback. Feedback will tell you everything you wanna know. If you see alot of "Fast shipping, Good communication" you're good. But like if I see more than one bad feedback on the same page I keep looking elsewhere.
BlobWeird

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:16 pm

I work for an EBay music gear seller who I won't name (but we are probably one of the biggest ones based in Oregon). About 99% of our sales go through PP.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

"SAY NO! TO PAYPAL!"

Postby deadted » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:39 am

Friends, I sell a lot on ebay and have been going strong since 2000. I have sold a good bit of musical equipment.

PAYPAL is Unjust...

Ebay charges me listing fees to put up the auction, Then Ebay charge me a final value fee once the items sells. Now understand that Ebay owns Paypal! So now Ebay/Paypal is charging me again when the money exchanges! Double taxation! Don't forget that Paypal fees are calculated off of the entire amount including shipping. Lastly, Ebay retains its monopoly by only allowing Paypal as a means of electronic funds transfer.. Ug!

What's the answer? Living in the Free World (or so I thought), competition is what breeds efficiency in the marketplace. Enter Google Checkout! Same type service, but more efficient with lower fees to the sellers. You create a Google Checkout account and use a credit card to send payment -- blind, the sellers never sees your info. It works like a charm.

On the issue of security, your credit card company provides greater fraud protection than paypal.

Use your head, no pun. Check out the seller's feedback profile. Also, if you are buying a big dollar item, ask the seller for a phone number, call him for a few minutes and verify the condition of the item before your bid/buy. When I sell a $12k guitar, I like to talk to the buyer also![/b]

Hey, I popped my forum cherry.
deadted
rukind?
rukind?

Re: "SAY NO! TO PAYPAL!"

Postby strumminsix » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:26 am

deadted wrote:Friends, I sell a lot on ebay and have been going strong since 2000. I have sold a good bit of musical equipment.

PAYPAL is Unjust...

Ebay charges me listing fees to put up the auction, Then Ebay charge me a final value fee once the items sells. Now understand that Ebay owns Paypal! So now Ebay/Paypal is charging me again when the money exchanges! Double taxation! Don't forget that Paypal fees are calculated off of the entire amount including shipping. Lastly, Ebay retains its monopoly by only allowing Paypal as a means of electronic funds transfer.. Ug!

What's the answer? Living in the Free World (or so I thought), competition is what breeds efficiency in the marketplace. Enter Google Checkout! Same type service, but more efficient with lower fees to the sellers. You create a Google Checkout account and use a credit card to send payment -- blind, the sellers never sees your info. It works like a charm.

On the issue of security, your credit card company provides greater fraud protection than paypal.

Use your head, no pun. Check out the seller's feedback profile. Also, if you are buying a big dollar item, ask the seller for a phone number, call him for a few minutes and verify the condition of the item before your bid/buy. When I sell a $12k guitar, I like to talk to the buyer also![/b]

Hey, I popped my forum cherry.

Your post makes it sound like eBay should be free? That line of thinking confuses me and makes me question your later points. eBay is a service for sellers and I can't see a beef with the fees.

A guitar instructor pays the shop for renting a lesson room, similar, huh?

Free world, as in commerce in America? Ha, you should see whoever sold you that bill of goods and get a refund back.

We *should* be free to do what we please on our own but as soon as we use others and their services I see "free" ending there.

I'd suggest if you are looking for freebies to use CraigsList.

As a seller you should be ecstatic with eBay. Having a global community bidding on your items turning ever bit of used musical gear to 85% of new and things that wouldn't sell for $1 at a garage sale earning $10 on eBay I'd say it works well for you...

In my 10+ years as an active musician and starting in the late 80s I remember used gear being bought privately for 40-50% of retail in perfect condition and if via a store 50-60%.
strumminsix

Postby amyjared » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:56 am

Your post makes it sound like eBay should be free? That line of thinking confuses me and makes me question your later points. eBay is a service for sellers and I can't see a beef with the fees.

A guitar instructor pays the shop for renting a lesson room, similar, huh?

Free world, as in commerce in America? Ha, you should see whoever sold you that bill of goods and get a refund back.

We *should* be free to do what we please on our own but as soon as we use others and their services I see "free" ending there.

I'd suggest if you are looking for freebies to use CraigsList.

As a seller you should be ecstatic with eBay. Having a global community bidding on your items turning ever bit of used musical gear to 85% of new and things that wouldn't sell for $1 at a garage sale earning $10 on eBay I'd say it works well for you...

In my 10+ years as an active musician and starting in the late 80s I remember used gear being bought privately for 40-50% of retail in perfect condition and if via a store 50-60%

Strummin, I didn't get this from the previous post at all? I thought what was being said was that ebay owns both ebay and paypal and is double dipping to make more money, and has tried to create a monopoly to avoid competition? To me, that has seemed to be the case. Of course, creating paypal as a separate organization, I can see why they need to charge due to having different employees, boards, etc. Am I missing something?

Oh, and ebay IS a seller's paradise and the rest of us have suffered. Example: You used to be able to go into a pawn shop and pick up a sweet classic fender tele for cheap. No more. You used to be able to pick up back issues of certain magazines at garage sales for about 10 for a dollar. No more. Try to buy an original Ibanez TS-808 for $45 in a used music shop. Used to be, you could do it, no more. Now, people all over the world know what things are worth and those of us who lose out are the buyers. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, it's just the way it is. I often want things that I lost throughout the years and while I'm glad I can usually find it on ebay, I'm bummed at the prices.

Sidenote: Those who have said to look on Amazon.com, thanks. I do, but for certain things, ebay is much cheaper (if you check postage/handling charges first!)
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby strumminsix » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:14 am

I hear ya, amyjared but you aren't locked into using paypal.

You pay to list on eBay.

You pay for the convenience of fast money on paypal.

Other choices are personal check, that's free for the seller and buyer.

Paypal is used for instant payment and buyer security.

Considering how eBay raised the price on used goods by like 20% I can't imagine anyone complaining about the optional paypal fee of 2-3%.

It's not a monopoly based on their actions. They are an auction house and there are many, many others out there. However, they have catered to a broader audience and allowed companies to virtually exist there and compete there. Without that relatively free service most of those companies wouldn't be in business internationally or likely they'd be regional at best.
strumminsix

Postby grateful4booze » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:59 am

I sold some stuff on ebay and I posted that I would only take money orders. Why? It's my stuff and I'd rather not hassle with paypal accounts. If I was a pro ebay seller I would probably take paypal. For an individual it's not worth the hassle. Like the dude said, you get whacked on both ends of ebay as a seller.
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."
- Pete Green
grateful4booze
Mickey
Mickey

Next

Return to Everything Else