The DSO Experience

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

The DSO Experience

Postby amyjared » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:39 pm

Just saw Dark Star here in Eugene the other night. Usually don't get to as they play bigger cities on the weekend and I can't get out much during a weeknight, but it being spring break, got to check it out. Must say, I'm always a little ambivalent about seeing Dead cover bands since I saw the boys over 300 times. It's not that I am against it, hell, I play in a cover band. It's just odd in a nice way.
Anyhow, they played well and it was an alright show, a Winterland show from '77. I was more excited to just get out and see old friends. Among others, I ran into my midwife who brought her son and daughter-in-law. They are both almost out of high school and dress in black with mohawks. It was great to see them boogying with everyone else! I was with a teacher friend who wore a Buckcherry t-shirt and was excited to dance and not be hassled for bumping into others. I did see some folks looking down on these people and it reminded me of being on tour and going to see punk shows on the day off. I was the only one with a tye dye and long hair in the slam pit at an X show or Camper Van or Clash or Pixies or whoever we were seeing on the off-night. Some dug it and others looked down on us, thinking we didn't get it because we looked different. Interesting how we judge others. It was a good lesson/reminder for me. Don't be so quick to judge. Peace!
"The only funeral you should ever try to interrupt is your own, and that should be a full-time job." -Kinky Friedman
amyjared

Postby mutant_dan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:01 pm

Reminds me of seeing the Dead at Irvine Meadows and looking down upon what looked like a young sorority girl doing her high school pom pom routine to Jack Straw.

Damn I about rolled out of the place I was laughing so hard...

Then there were the professional pole dancers that would show up for shows. They would dance like they didn't know anything but the pole. Man did they stand out in the crowd..

All were fun to watch and I swear, I wasn't being judgemental.
mutant_dan
Bobby
Bobby

Postby BayAreaBB » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:01 pm

It's sad people think there is such a thing as a stereotypical deadhead and those that don't fit this mold are sometimes looked down upon from the "true" deadheads. I'm in banking, wear a suit, etc. and am as big a deadhead as anyone would claim to be...what's the line..."we are everywhere"
BayAreaBB
Brent
Brent

Postby Pigpen » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:31 am

I like the DSO crowd, maybe its me being more accustomed to the dead experience but still. All the people are very friendly and just a great time. I just saw them at The Great American Music Hall in san francisco they played a late 70's show it was great.
Pigpen
Billy
Billy

Postby abspatz » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:08 pm

well i'm glad to see i'm not the only one on here who wears a suit to work...i work for hsbc, but have a bear bobble head on my desk that says your exact words:

we are everywhere.

on the topic, i love dso...think their music is amazing (isn't it great to hear a late 80s show with jerry's voice from the early 70s). and the atmosphere holds true to what I imagine it used to feel like.
Used to ride the highway, used to know where I was going...but now this shady dirt road feels cool beneath my feet.
abspatz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tigerstrat » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:51 am

Amy, was John playing his new black Steinberger guitar in Eugene? It's got the Jerry FX loop, with passive EMG pups.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby Darkhorse014 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:47 pm

nice man
but I'll still sing you love songs..
written in the letters of your name
Darkhorse014
Donna
Donna

Return to Everything Else