Jam Bands

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Jam Bands

Postby revned_04 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:10 pm

Who do u think will carry the torch since its doubtful that the dead will tour again, and cheese is disbanding?
revned_04
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby China Cat » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:56 pm

moe., disco biscuits, umphrey's. itd be amazing if phish could get back together, but i know trey is trying to get his own life sorted out, and you don't want interference with that. his gig with the trey anastasio band is tight too. phil & friends
You do not merely want to be considered the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones that do what you do. - Jerry Garcia
China Cat
Billy
Billy

Postby China Cat » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:56 pm

oh yeah ratdog too
You do not merely want to be considered the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones that do what you do. - Jerry Garcia
China Cat
Billy
Billy

Postby bobbybobbob » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:07 pm

I think our time with Phil & Phriends is coming to an end in the near future. Sad but true, the man is getting old. so enjoy what you can of his upcoming tours!
bobbybobbob
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby revned_04 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:34 pm

ya def umph. im feelin sts9 for that like trippy shit, what abput like panic, i also think new monsoon if they could get a really string singer, or tea leaf green
revned_04
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby Joey-O » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:05 pm

I've been talking about this very subject with lots of my friends since Nershi announced he was leaving cheese. I tend to think that cheese will live to play another day, maybe in another form and time. Those guys love playing together, and I tend to see what is happening now as a break more than a fullout breakup. Even if they don't get back together they all have shown huge potential to start new and exciting projects that can take the torch.
Umphrey's, sts9, and panic definetely are strong contenders. Yonder too. Ratdog and phil, i hope, will keep playing for years to come, but who knows. You can tell bobby is getting old when he starts his shows at 7 pm sharp and is done before midnight.
Joey-O
Vince
Vince

Postby abspatz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:35 pm

i'm biased, but i definatly think panic leads the pack. their songs actually have some soul to them and the jams go in a specific direction. the others don't even compare...although i know there are alot who would disagree. speaking of disagreement, i think sci probably peaked about 4 years ago. (sorry, not trying to start a fight with that.)

among new bands, i'm really digging Tea Leaf Green. they've got some good songs and can jam pretty tight. moe is always a solid choice also!
Used to ride the highway, used to know where I was going...but now this shady dirt road feels cool beneath my feet.
abspatz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby lostsailor8782 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:24 am

YONDER FREAKING MOUNTAIN !!!!! As a veteran of over 300 Dead Shows WITH JERRY ... and smart enough to have seen very few without ... no real knock there, it just never clicked ... why you think we are having all these conversations about why they are not touring together ? Now Yonder is breding a new generation of very Kynd people and the energy at their shows is like something I have experienced only at some of the early 80's Dead shows I saw ... I am serious, if you haven't seen these guys go ... you will thank me forever
I only smoke it when I am awake... I promise
lostsailor8782
Bear
Bear

Postby BlobWeird » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:22 am

Someone else mentioned Disco Biscuits. Now Im not like a huge fan but I like some songs. I definitely think they are the biggest thing happenin. And it doesnt seem to be slowin down for them any time soon.
BlobWeird

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:48 am

Does "the Torch" translate into "Where the parking lot party at?"
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby groovemongrel » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:59 am

I'd say Gov't Mule is better than most of the "jam bands" out there today. Tea Leaf Green rocks too. Moe, Galactic, Umphrees....meh.

For some reason Medeski, Martin and Wood get lumped into "jam bands" and they are pretty good too.

I do love YMSB and Steve Kimock.
groovemongrel
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby BigJilm » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:18 pm

WEEN
BigJilm
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby revned_04 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:34 pm

definently translates to where did the parking lot go, now all you can find is those sketchy ass hippies selling drugs.
revned_04
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby abspatz » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:51 pm

tigerstrat wrote:Does "the Torch" translate into "Where the parking lot party at?"

I certainly hope not. People have said the same thing about the dead scene at times, but those of us in the know have always realized its about the music over the scene. the people along for the party have always been there. anyhow, there are some bands out there with real talent that are trying to keep the feeling alive, and i say right on.

tiger, you get your tix for darkstar yet? 2 night package, baby!
Used to ride the highway, used to know where I was going...but now this shady dirt road feels cool beneath my feet.
abspatz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby tigerstrat » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:28 am

abspatz wrote:tiger, you get your tix for darkstar yet? 2 night package, baby!

Got other plans for Sat., but I'll be going to DSO on Friday if I hear back from John by showtime tomorrow. If not, I can't really see spending the $ on tix... baby coming!
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Next

Return to Everything Else