Mr. Blotto?

When it doesn't fit anywhere else

Mr. Blotto?

Postby jck_strw » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:57 pm

Anyone heard of these guys? Chicago-based, but they seem to get around a bit. Friends of rukind.org turned me onto these guys this weekend. Great stuff! Head over to archive.org and download some of their stuff. I can heartily recommend the two shows I picked up:

2006-7-29 where their encore is the whole Terrapin Station album
http://www.archive.org/details/mrblotto ... SBD.FLAC16

2002-9-14 - a bunch of Dead covers including a very tasty St. Stephen
http://www.archive.org/details/mrblotto2002-09-14.shnf
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby lostsailor8782 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:26 am

I told you? Is their guitarist, Mark Hague, the newest guitar god to grace the scene or what !!!!!! I know we can get them to do a show like the ones we discussed over the wekend .... they are friends of mine .... I am so proud of these guys ... making Chicago proud !!!!!
I only smoke it when I am awake... I promise
lostsailor8782
Bear
Bear

Postby waldo041 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:20 am

MR. BLOTTO ROCKS!!!

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Postby phpbb » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:47 am

I went to see them in Chicago when Barlow was supposed to join them. I never saw Barlow, but I did see them play, and I was definitely impressed.
phpbb

Postby jck_strw » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:11 am

Glad to see some people are giving some love to Blotto. I listened to that 9-14-02 show again last night. You're really missing out if you don't give that show a spin.
http://db.etree.org/jck_strw - Tapelist
-----
"Now get back to the stands before I shave off half your mustache and shove it up your left nostril. "
Bad News Bears
jck_strw

Postby strumminsix » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:09 am

I go back and forth on them...

They gained popularity outside of the common GD circles in Chicago. I'm sure TigerStrat can pop in here and back me up on this... Back in the day they were kinda doing their own thing, fairly successfully while the rest of the GD and jambands were in a different scene.

And by scene I mean bars, areas of town, fans, etc...

During the 90s the big ones here were (by my memory): UJB, Jerry's Kids, Jahari's Window, Jon Gram's band, New Speedway Boogie, Wingnut, The Shwag would roll through, and there are tons of others and then there was Blotto.

They used to do mostly Dead and then started intertwining their originals, then most original and now a mix again. Maybe it's the shows I've seen (about 2 dozen times or so over 10 years) but they just don't move me.
strumminsix

Postby tigerstrat » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:37 am

How about this: in the mid 90's, Mr.B had a sponsorship deal with Anhueiser-Busch, giving them literally TONS of awesome gear, and gigs playing all the big Chicago neighborhood festivals and and high-end nightclubs and get lots of radio ads on classic rock stations. I think they even had their own radio show for awhile, yeah. And of course they'd be have Bud Light banners behind the stage, etc... they had a MASSIVE lighting rig, I remember being in Wingnut opening for them at Otto's in DeKalb in early 97 and their light rig loomed hugely over the stage, with lots of PC-controlled robotics etc All very advanced for the era, esp for a club band.

Very tight talented band with excellent vocals and awesome infrastructure but never got too adventurous in the open jams, I mostly saw them when they had the original guitarist, the more blues-boogie-rootsy guy... I only saw them once after the younger more Anastasio-cloney guy joined, right around the time I was still in Wingnut with JK of DSO, so it must have been soon after that gig. Then I moved west in 2000.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby shakedown_04092 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:49 am

Wow...never heard of these guys, but really good stuff! Thanks 4 the post.
Play music, expand the mind, inspire...

"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey" - Japanese poet Kenji Miyazawa

www.myspace.com/heavydime

shakedown_04092

Postby waldo041 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:08 am

tigerstrat wrote: I mostly saw them when they had the original guitarist, the more blues-boogie-rootsy guy...

bobby georges.

http://www.bobbygeorges.com/frame.html

peace,
waldo
waldo041

Return to Everything Else